1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Engraving by a master

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by W.P.T., Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought one of them engraving tools for the glass and household items to be etched for identification and was wondering if that would work for some first class engraving on a few of these Model 12's I got in the safe ..? I'm getting pretty good at it with a little practice I bet I could be even better ... Its a little hard to get the lines straight at first but with a lot of practice I have that mastered ... Now, which one should I engrave first ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. Notime2

Notime2 TS Member

WPT, Before you start on your best M-12, find someone who does good blueing, then don't crowd your design. That would allow Mr Hurst to pretty it up..Just bring money...Fred

3. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

WPT, before you start on a gun, I would definitely do a bunch of pracice on metal blanks that are available from Brownells gunsmithing supply. They sell all kinds of tools for engraving, along with instruction books. It aint as easy as you might think. I did scrimshaw engraving on ivory for several years in our gun store, and I thought seriously about doing gun engraving. But after practicing for awhile, I put it on hold. For one thing if you have a motorized engraving tool, chances are you can not hold it properly to do the line cuts required in metal-no where nearly as good as if you are using the hand method of engraving...thats why I never followed up on it because with the scrimshaw work you use a steel engraving tool(looks like a pencil with a very sharp point) and you use the scribe the same way as you draw with a pencil. You cant do the same in steel engraving. Good luck, Puablo

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jerry, (Bro Jerry)

I did one this morning and probably do another one this afternoon, its kind of like one scene that starts on one side and ends on the other and then my initials (WPT/ YAC) ... The thing probably won't move around as much if I took the stock off of it ... These Model 12's will be worth Millions ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

In the pics those guns took hundreds of hours to do. Real engravers use chisels and little tiny engraving tools. I saw a video of them doing it, it is incredible. If anyone reads shooting sportsman I saw an article about a gun maker in Austria whose engraver takes up to a thousand hours on some of the really intricate pieces and has a six year wait for his work, some of his shotguns have sold for 200k+ I honestly dont think I would go near a gun with an engraving gun, if you screw up there is no way to fix it, your just stuck with a ugly ruined gun. to each his own though. I wish I had the talent to do it, But would I have the patience?? LOL

6. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

KELLY ---- there are few firearms that require that amount of hours to complete. I have been scratching guns for 49 years & never seen a job that would require that many hours (not saying you are wrong) . I do know there are some people as well as companies that embelish the amount of hours spent to justify their high asking cost. I'm sure you are correct in relating the cost but question (not you) the "real" amount of hours spent.

We all make mistakes engraving But, if you learn to execute good quality cuts, you would be on your way. The answer is to practice on a practice plate and not get to fancy from the start --- just draw and cut simple designs for a start. Best regards, ken

7. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I understand Ken, I wish I could post the pics of this guys guns, They are just incredible. If you saw the engraving you would understand the hours he takes him, I cant even begin to describe the detail, It looks like a pic. from a camera. Do you have pics of your work you did?? I think everybody loves to see good work !!!

8. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Mr. Kelly ---- there are some pictures posted on a recent thread titled Ken Hurst Vs. Andy. I hope you find favor with my efforts. When these guns were cut, I only had 20/70 vision in my one eye. After a recent operation, I now have one eye with 20/20 vision. Hopefully, I can now do better work for clients in the future. Best regrads, Ken

9. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

3 very beautiful examples of engraving. To reach the status of master engraver with Beretta, you will have put in a minimum of 20 years under supervision of a true master engraver with the really gifted spending closer to 30 years. They only work around 3 hours a day to avoid eye strain. I can't see any signatures but a lot of engravers hide their signature in the engraving. Angelo Bee is famous for hiding his signature as well as fine engraving. Some engravers like to do one style over another. Lots of good engravers out there, but these works were done masters.

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Still the old masters are hard to beat.

Rock

Jim

11. Bridger

Bridger Member

Ken, do you have to start with a blank slate when engraving a gun or can you take a gun like a standard Krieghoff and embellish what is already there? Or can the factory engraving be removed to start over? Thanks

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

How much does engraving in the receiver or chamber area weaken a gun? Since there are thousands+ around I would guess not very little if any. Just curious. Has any positive study been made of this?

13. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

BRIDGER ---- I usually get a clean action (no engraving) and start with that, However, I do get actions that already have some engraving which I can draw fike off & then polish and engrave. It isn't a good idea to try and improve the standard patterns already cut --- they aren't quality engraving to begin with & it would be a waste of your money. I have had clients who would trade their actions for a plain action & have that one engraved to their taste. As usual, I'll be happy to take the time to talk to anyone who has questions or interest.

Ken 910-221-5288 EST seven days a week.

14. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Mr. Dave -- The engraving doesn't have any effect on the strength of the gun. All firearms are over engineered/built in order to avoid lawsuits and unhappy customers. In my 49 years of gun scratching, I have never had nor heard of a gun letting loose due to being engraved. Hope this answers your question. Best regards, ken

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The great thing about watching Bill Mains is his ability to work and talk at the same time!!!

Especially his Marilyn Chambers stories!!!....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.