1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Engraved Perazzi Almost Finished!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hilton55, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

I love engraved guns and have always wanted to have a Perazzi specially engraved for me. I thought it would be great fun to choose the design and see it all come together into a finished gun that I could shoot for years to come.

Last October I talked to my friend in Italy, Marcello Giuliani (decimamas 54), and told him that I had squirreled away enough money and was ready to get the ball rolling. I plan to use this gun for shooting Skeet, so we started this project by choosing a plain-jane Type 4 MX-8 that was in great condition and came with flat rib, 29.5" barrels. The first step was to send the metalwork out to be polished and prepared for engraving. The trick here is to have someone do the work who knows what they're doing, otherwise the edges come out rounded and the shape of the receiver is ruined. Here's how it turned out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's beautiful, even without the engraving! Once the polishing was complete, the gun was ready to be sent off to Creative Art in Italy. Creative Art is located in a small town close to Brescia and their engravers do some of the finest work that is available. Marcello and I had discussed the design and so they knew what I had in mind. The first step was to lay out the pattern and do the outline work. Once this was done, metal was removed to create the background and give the engraving its three-dimensional effect. Here's what the receiver looked like at that stage of the work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the outlining was complete, next came the time intensive work of filling in all of the detail on the ornate engraving. Once the ornate work was done, a different engraver took over and engraved the dogs on the bottom of the receiver. Creative Art finished a couple of days ago and this is what it looks like now. The pictures are a bit out of focus but still clear enough to see how well everything turned out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love it! There is now one final step: the metal work was softened in order to make the engraving process easier and now it needs to be heat treated in order to restore the original hardness. This happens tomorrow. The shape of the receiver will change slightly through this process which means that some of the parts will need to be refitted. Marcello will take care of this final part of the process himself and then the finished gun will be ready to be stocked. If all goes well, I'll have the gun in hand by the end of May! I'll post more pictures then, John

2. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

congratulations on a beautiful build. looking forward to seeing it completed.

3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

That's beautiful.

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gorgeous!! Would love to have something like this done for me. Chichay

5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Outstanding! A real work of functional art.

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

John....That was very interesting and a beautiful job! Thank you so much for sharing..............Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

You are very fortunate guy, to know people who can do that level of engraving and do it in a reasonable period of time! I hope you shoot it for many years and enjoy it more every time you pick it up.

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Breathtaking, John! What a wonderful project and to watch this awesome work of art from beginning to fruition. The rendition of Major and his partner are exquisite! Where are you going to have it stocked, and have you selected the perfectly elegant blank for it yet?

best....mike

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Very tastefully done. Simply beautiful.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow. Gorgeous. I'd be afraid to take a gun that pretty out of the house.

-Gary

11. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Being an amateur artist myself...albeit a growing old one, I am amazed at the talent it takes to do that kind of thing, especially IN METAL!!

Probably in poor taste...but I would be curious to know what a person could expect to pay for art work like that??

Absolutely beautiful...tastefully done.

Best regards...Stan

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

It is all excellent but I particularly love the Bulino dogs.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

exceptional..

14. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Outstanding work. Thanks for sharing with us. I also appreciate the dogs's, but I thought they were a pointer and a spaniel! LOL!

15. AEP

AEP Member

Very nice work.

Andy

16. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

Thanks for the great comments. I met Marcello through Steve W. and he's become a good friend. It's amazing the number of great craftsmen that he knows and can recruit for projects such as this. I figured there would be folks on TS.com who'd enjoy seeing the step-by-step progress in pictures.

Here's a picture of the blank that will be used. I chose a straight grain piece of wood because of its lower recoil. Not as dramatic as the burl stocks but stronger and easier on the face. John

[​IMG]

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Very very nice. I can't wait to see the finish gun.

18. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

John, you are living the dream!

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Who is the person who filed your receiver and related parts?

20. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

You chose one of the premier engravers in the WORLD to do the job and they did a great one.

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi eye candy

perazzi sco engraving patterns

perazzi usa engraving standard mx8
perrazi stockmaers
ugo talenti engraver shotgun for sale