1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

English vs. American labs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mallard2, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Wondering if you guys have experience owning or opinions or information on the English type vs. American type labradors.

I prefer the looks of the English type, but can they retrieve, hunt, etc.? Or have they been bred just to show?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    At the risk of sounding like a nerd, I thought this was going to be a post about laboratories.

3. affclga

affclga TS Member

Try inquiring on Retrievertraining.net

Mike Gannon

4. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

IV own both types my british r layed back a bit mak great hunters easy 2 train americans more outgoing iv always had female which r the easyest 2 train gd luck ps i think the blacks r the best

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I prefer the long-lean American field trial lab in black. Maybe a little wilder, but won't quit you during the pressure of training.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We presently have 5 labs here on my property in northern MI. All of them are the british or english variety. They can be good hunters, particularly for pheasant and ducks. They don't have the stamina to run birds all day, but neither do I so that works out ok. They are by far the best behaved house dogs that I have ever been acquainted with. Very smart and even tempered and relaxed. Super easy to train and never run off the property on their own. We will never have any other breed. Bill
    [​IMG]

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The British labs come in two types if the lines have been kept pure

The show type- bigger and no gurantees

The field type- leaner and more athletic

People will confuse the two-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Great info. Thanks. Beautiful dogs in photo. Thanks much.

9. Skiracin

Skiracin Member

Here is a picture of my Lab Elmer. After 14 great years sadly we had to say goodbye this past March. He was English bred from a local breeder. He had a great personality and temperament, we enjoyed some memorable moments.

[​IMG]

10. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Ski,

Beautiful dog. He will be there in heaven to great you.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

This is my girl Asia...she is going to be 7yrs old and is a English style Blackie...as was said...calm but still more energy than I have..wonderfully smart and easier to train than most kids...she definantly listens better and is never late for dinner ; )

12. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

I had the English field type. A female that was quite lean and therefore she had more stamina than most heavy labs. She was super smart and very easy to train. She was also an excellent hunter on pheasants and ducks. She put up many birds, even grouse and woodcock. And would retrieve a duck (or a ball) all day to the point that she could hardly walk the next day. Was a wonderful companion for 14 years. I would not have any other dog.

13. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Calvin,

Beautiful dog. thanks for posting the photo.

14. shawsheen

shawsheen Member

I have been involved in both showing and running hunt tests with Labs and have seen many good hunters in both types. I would more look at the parents to see their hunting abilities . There are issues with both styles. The heavier shorter english style need to be kept in good shape and the american field style may have too much energy for your home. My labs sort of fall somewhere in the middle and reflect what an show lab looked like in the 60's and 70's. They have more leg, good coat and plenty of drive and able to settle down to be part of my household family. So with that said I would get what pleases you the most and try to find a line with proven hunting dogs.

15. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Hard to say. I have had both, both are smart, want to please, and make great family dogs. I think intelligence depends a lot on whether the breeder took the time to start training for noises and surfaces before you got the dog. Also, you need to know how to train a dog, and take the time to do it and reinforce it. Dogs brains mature quickly, and the first months of training are critical if you want be assured of a smart dog that wants to learn. That doesn't necessarily mean your dog won't be smart if you got it later, but you want to do the best you can if getting a puppy. You want to research training and know what you're doing before getting a dog. I've learned a lot. I had one american lab that had more stamina than any dog I had ever seen. He would run 100 times for a frisbee, and catch it like an acrobat every time. Had a great nose for searching lost objects. I didn't know a lot about training when I got him, but he was a great dog all the same. He impressed everyone with an array of tricks. In twelve years he never ran off. The english lab I have now is really smart, but doesn't have the non-stop drive like the american lab. Already knows all the tricks my previous lab did, and a couple more. I've trained him to be a water and upland dog. I taught him direction, and he took to it right away. He also is a good search dog. He's a natural to water, and would swim all day. He has more bursts of energy rather than go go go when it comes to training for a long time. This dog is a natural bird dog, birds get him all worked up. He's a lover just like the other dog. He's still a pup, and I'll be taking him hunting for doves next week hopefully. I have every bit of confidence he will be a great hunting dog. I'd go for either type of dog again. I think if you want to be guaranteed a good dog, it depends on the proper early training, and then continued training.

16. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Really good advice. Thanks for all.

17. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Someone said they think the English lab sheds more. Any thoughts on that? Both types shed a lot?

18. CalvinMD

Had both and its about the same really...I comb my dog regularly with a special gleaner that gets down deep to get to the undercoat that builds up...never had a hotspot and definantly cuts down on the hair in the vacuum

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

All labs shed an amazing amount of hair. My big english, Luka Brasi could win awards for it. Bill

20. CalvinMD

I wish the hair I comb off my pooch could be a little longer...I'm thinking that having a nice Elvis wig made (complete with pork chop sideburns)to wear would keep my noggin really warm during winter league shoots,..plus,..I'd look wicked cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

american labs

english labs vs american labs

which shed more english or american labs