1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

English Springer Spaniels???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jr.sportingclays, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

I am thinking of buying a started male Springer Spaniel, and I was wondering what people thought about this breed as being a field dog, and how do they handle being shot over? Do they do well on all types of bird hunting (duck, pheasant, quail, partridge, etc.)? I understand it partially has to do with how they dog is trained too. And how are they as family pets as well? For shooting related, does anybody bring theirs to trap, sporting clay, or skeet events? Thanks.

JR

2. 548

548 Guest

Did they quit making Labs?

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The best "all-Around" breed you can buy. They do it all and
    make great house pets.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Labs suck. Beagle ALL the way!

5. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

I had a springer for 12 years.Absolutely the best gun dog and retriever that I had ever seen then and now. A great breed for hunting and the family. You do have to do your part with the training and time spent. Get a field dog as opposed to a dog from show lines. You will not be sorry to have a Springer

6. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I have two ess field trial dogs. They are excellent with kids. If your started dog was trained properly shooting over it will be no issue. Just make sure it was not out of bench breeding. I would watch it train before buying, since it is "started". Quality breeding is all important.

7. Nutso

Nutso Member

Torn.... Beagles! Lol, well true Beagles can't be beat when it comes to personality, and howling too.

Jack Russel Terrier is the way to go, however be prepared as the Jack Russell has offen been described as a terrorist in a clown suit. The wife wants one,I'm not so sure. I want something that is happy to guard the couch, not tear it apart.

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

English Springer Spaniel Rescue, they are on-line. Great dogs.

9. JH

JH Well-Known Member

No question. The BEST DOGS that walk the earth!

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good breed if the genetics are good- a lot of dogs just thrown together

If you were truly buying a "started" dog- you can see all the performance and ask for all the genetic related condition test results- such as hips and eyes and elbows and EIC

Do that

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron, Beagles suck almost as bad as cats do! Labs the only hunting dog all the others are just want to be labs

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I had a field bred Springer. Winston was his name. I got Winston when he was 9 months old. The first owner had abused him and he was badly damaged. It took a long time before he was comfortable in his own skin. His only interest in life was me and going hunting. We traveled everywhere together, except work. My Grandkiddies were all born after he came into my life and he would chomp them when they pestered him. I think if he was introduced into the family after the Grandkiddies were born, it would have been different. Winston, his mother and three of his siblings all died of cancer within a year of each other. I miss Winston and have fond memories of the times we spent together. Bill Malcolm

13. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Thanks for the advice guys, the owner is going to bring him to my farm and do a demo using pigeons so we can do it all from flushing to shooting over and retrieving, to test all spots in the field process. I also looked at all medical forms and all the tests have been done, I have the pedigree and the AKC registration. Anything else I should watch out for? This "started" dog is still in-tact (not neutered) and he is almost 9 months old, and has been to field trials before for practice. What's everybody’s favorite part about the English Springer Spaniels?

JR

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

jr.sportingclays,

They are RELENTLESS hunters; they are EAGER to please their masters; they are LOYAL to the death; they are SOFT hearted and great around the house.....mine died two years ago and I am still in mourning!

15. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Thanks Bangalore, it's always sad when that day comes, that's why I am looking for a new "best-friend". My previous dog died almost a year ago, she only had three legs but she sure could move!

16. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I bought a started Springer Spaniel from a trainer I met at a Field Trials competition. I wanted a dog that was not gun-shy and had good field trial bloodlines, not a show dog. Our family loved that dog more than any other. She was great with kids, superb as a hunting dog, and was entertaining as well. Lindsay was never in a house, experienced stairs or grasped the concept of house training when we got her at 8 months old. Always fast to learn and eager to please with absolutely unreal energy. Yes, my family let her on the furniture and even eat a few potato chips but she lived to hunt birds. I wished they could breed a dog that would live exactly as long as we do. Most old timers have buried a lot of wonderful dogs in their life.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hunted and ran field trials for 40 years with English Springers. What do I like best: 1. they are easy to train. 2. they will retrieve dove [Labs won't]. 3. once trained - they stay trained. 4. will hunt in any condition. and 5. flat out lovers of the family. Fred

18. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I 100% agree with everything Fred says. And, great with kids.

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Tron you hijacked this fine thread to go fishing? Shame on you.I know it gets boring here in the off season but a little restraint, please. A friend had a black and white springer that was absolutely the best house dog I have ever been around. He would go to the door and give a little woof to be let out for his business when he was 8 weeks old. He was a pretty fair pheasant dog too. Bill

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

9 months old is hardly a "started" dog- what you are going to see at that age is his natural ability

He also hasnt had any "medical tests" of significance

He hasnt had his hips checked or eyes or elbows or EIC

You are buying an older puppy is what you are buying

So the pedigree doesnt mean anything unless you have the medical results of the dogs in that pedigree- mom and dad

The AKC registration means less than nothing

So find out what the parents hip ratings were as a minimum and get someone to show you how to read a pedigree and what to look for

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to handle gun shy springer spaniels

how well do springer spaniels hunt pheasants