1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

english setter pups may 3rd

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BBowen, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBowen

BBowen Member

i have a litter of english setter pups due to arrive about may 3rd. these pups are from my female BLACK HILLS BONNIE and male BLACK HILLS CHECKERS. both mom and dad are great hunters, solid pointers and good retrievers. bonnie is orange and white and checkers is a tri-color. bonnie's breeding is tokoa mountain sunrise/havelock and checkers is berg brother's jack breeding.

my setters and i hunted quail in 5 different states this past season, harvesting over 600 (with my friends) and over 150 south dakota roosters. the dogs have good dispositions and will hunt hard for you all day and set on your lap at night if you like.

i will get the pups on pigeons as soon as they are active and they should be ready for some hunting this next season. they will be ready for delivery mid summer.

contact me for pictures of my setters in action and details on the pups.

bruce bowen sturgis, south dakota 605-347-2232

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce,
    Are the parents large 60 lbs. or small 35 lbs.?

Ed Yanchok

3. BBowen

BBowen Member

ed

checkers is 50 lbs and strong. i hunted him last year in his first full season and he was spectacular! bonnie hunted her 4th season last year and is a machine.

i know well the risks involved in bragging on your bird dogs. i took four of my friends to texas last year for a solid week of quial hunting and the dogs, i have 5, did not fail me.

i you want to send me your e-mail i can e-mail some pictures back. i will keep your e-mail in confidence.

do you hunt grouse in the northeast?

thanks for your interest

bruce bowen

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Around here, in northern NJ, we have woodcock (mostly flight birds), grouse, (not a lot) stocked pheasants and chuckars while in the southern part of the state there are a lot of quail that are successfully hunted with setters. We also have a lot of geese, ducks, and rail birds. I don't hunt too much anymore. Getting old I guess.

Ed Yanchok

5. BBowen

BBowen Member

ed

sorry. obviously, this is another risk of bragging on your bird dogs--you get carryed away.

checkers is about 50 pounds and bonnie is about 40. it's hard to keep weight on them because they get good workouts every day year around as i take them out behind my building and work with them as much as i can. i want them to work close but cover lots of ground.

thanks for your interest.

bb

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

S X S and setters. Don't get much better than that.

7. BBowen

BBowen Member

up for the pups

bruce bowen

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bruce, those are some mighty handsome pups...you the father?

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

BTTT for Bruce and some handsome dogs. Like Ed, I don't hunt as hard as I used to, it's been great getting old with Alder, my Brittany. I spend most of October in New Brunswick for Grouse and Woodcock. Tough life, truly a spectacular time of the year to be in the Maritimes. I don't know if I can keep up with a Setter where I've been spoiled by my Brit's over the years. Please drop a note when you have a chance Bruce. Thanks, Bob

10. Setterman

Bob, Setters are not actually big running dogs. The Llewellin and Ryman strains were originally close working dogs. Over time a lot of breeders pushed the big running genes for field trials, but you'll have that in any breed. My Ryman hunts at about 40 yards, and very slow. His tail is horizontal on point, as that is how they were bred. They were originally a "netting" dog, and they did not want the tail in the way of the net. Poachers loved Rymans.

11. BBowen

BBowen Member

setterman

i sold a pup a couple of years ago to a shorthair guy and he called me and complained that the dog wouldn't hold his tail up when he pointed, but rather put it straight out. i have a little female littermate that points with a flat tail as well.

bb

12. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

Bruce PM sent

13. BBowen

BBowen Member

flamborn

i sent you two e-mails and they were both returned as undeliverable. could you e-mail me so i can just click on reply and see if it works? thanks

bruce bowen

14. BBowen

BBowen Member

up for the pups.

bb

15. Setterman

bb, I'd bet you have some Ryman in them setters of yours! Check out the Ryman Setter websites. Some dogs may display a 3/4 cock on point, but most are level or less. Good luck with your pups. I'm tempted, but my wife would kill me...again.

16. BBowen

BBowen Member

setterman

i'll send you a picture of the pups when they are about 10 weeks old. it will melt her heart.

bb

17. Wass

Wass Member

I've got 2 English Setters right now. One is 10 and the other is 17. I'm wondering what the world record is for age on a setter as my 17 year old is still kicking (although she doesn't control her bowel movements very well anymore and it is getting hard to take care of her). I suspect the end may be in sight and when that happens, I'll need a new puppy as the kids will be devistated.

I'm planning a cross country trip in mid July and could swing through, so depending on timing, this could work out well for me.

Birddog

18. BBowen

BBowen Member

birddog

the pups will be going strong in july. be sure to stop by if you are going through. it's always good to talk to another setter fan. if you want i can e-mail you some more pics of my dogs. just shoot me an e-mail and i will send the pics on back to you.

all the best,

bruce bowen

19. Wass

Wass Member

Bruce-

I sent you a PM.

thanks,

Birddog

20. BBowen

BBowen Member

EE

i got your pm. thanks for the interest in the pups. they are due on may 3rd so i don't know what we will get yet. i will know the number next week after we go to the vet.

if you send me your e-mail address, i will keep you informed.

bruce bowen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.