1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

english, american or turkish walnut?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

thinking about building a stock. what to you like english, american or turkish walnut?

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

ok , what wood is pretty.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you like reds and flame and feather look at American Black Walnut or Claro. If you like more subtle grain and markings, look at English. Bird's Eye maple makes a stunning stock.

4. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

smsnyder,

You got some good advice here but everyone failed to ask a very pertinent question. How much do you have to spend? Quality Turkish walnut, properly dried and ready for stockmaking is VERY expensive. There are several different grain patterns and if you select burl pattern it is the most expensive anywhere most of the time. I like the marble cake figure patterns. English is probably next in line as far as expense. All that you mention here is very pretty in proper pattern and grain. Beauty here is in the eye of the beholder.

A custom made stock with AAA grade English walnut can be $2500 and up. When I had mine made I paid, $2900 for the completed stock which included pattern charge and custom fitting. At that time, I was privileged to view the prettiest stock blank I have ever seen. It was absolute perfection and the grain pattern from side to side was nearly identical. It went beyond the stage of "Exhibition" or "Special Selection" grades. In exquisite marble cake pattern, this Turkish blank was priced to me at $5400 finished and checkered.....

Gordy gave you great advice sir. If you are going to spend the kind of money it takes to get good wood and a quality product, make sure you are dealing with a reputable person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.