1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Drinks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Go Fish, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I was getting my morning coffee at the local Speedway and noticed all the different types of energy drinks available. I was wondering if any shooters use these drinks before they shoot or strong coffee enough? Also what the pros or cons about using them?

2. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

Those energy drinks are the last thing you want if you're at a shoot.
    They contain far more caffine and other noxious chemicals and
    will make your heart race, not to mention raise your aggrivation levels.

I only have V8 juice , hot chocolate or water when shooting.

JJC

3. ASEinAZ

ASEinAZ TS Member

If anyone is interested, there is a new alternative to the "noxious" energy drinks that are so prevalent.

Verve is the best tasting energy drink I've ever tried - I can't choke down a Red Bull. And it is actually good for you. Doesn't have a truckload of caffeine and sugar. They even have a sugar-free version.

Verve is the official energy drink of the Phoenix Suns, the Phoenix Coyotes, and the Phoenix Mercury. Ms Fitness magazine named Verve it's "Product of the Year" in 2009.

I'm not sure I would drink any energy drink before shooting - I've never tried it though.

The website above has tons of info on Verve and other high quality liquid nutrition products.

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

How would you view Gatorade?

5. ASEinAZ

ASEinAZ TS Member

Not to sound too much like a commercial, but the company that makes Verve also recently introduced an electrolyte replacement/recovery drink called Thirst.

It has a vitamin/mineral/antioxidant complex along with electrolytes, amino acids and carbohydrates. Considerably more to it than any other sports drinks. It is very low in sugar.

Anything that keeps you hydrated is good for you - plain old water works also.

I've taken nutrition supplements for many years and these products are by far the best I've found.

Check it out and compare the ingredients with other products out there.

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I often drink energy drinks before i shoot to wake up and be more aware. Caffeine has little affect on me, but energy drinks seem to heighten my awareness a little especially when I'm shooting after a day of work. One thing I stay away from before shooting is 5 hour energy.. if I drink the whole bottle of that stuff I feel on edge and shaky. The only way to know if it works for you is to try it sometime. I'm not sensitive to caffeine, but a lot of others are.

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

When at a shoot, I still enjoy my morning's cup or two of coffee. Like the above poster, caffeine doesn't bother me. I can not stand the taste of Gatorade, so during the shooting day, I drink water only. I also can't stand the taste of the so called energy drinks...but for some reason when leaving a shoot and heading home, my eyes always get tired behind the wheel. As bad as I hate the taste, I chug an energy drink to keep me awake. Although I can't stand the taste, I rather drink it than to fall asleep behind the wheel and be 6 feet under!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

ASEinAZ: How much commission to you make hawking that stuff?

-Gary

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

They taste good, and that's it. It could make you extremely jittery and unable to concentrate and it could be easily detrimental to your shooting.
    -Trappy

10. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

At work 5 Hour Energy is very beneficial, not so sure about shooting.

11. ASEinAZ

ASEinAZ TS Member

Hawking?

Somebody makes money on everything you've ever bought. Usually many people. Comissions are included in the price of everything.

To answer your question directly - I make nothing.

As I said, I don't drink energy drinks before I shoot and water will hydrate you.

12. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Stay away from the super loaded caffeine drinks. How do you know they are not having an effect on your blood pressure & heart rate? I assume you take your pulse & blood pressure to verify the fact. I am not trying to be a smart a--,just posting a warning. The main thing is what was posted;stay hydrated(H2O is great) & the electrolyte drinks are OK.
    Joe Jordan

13. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I can't see being hyped up would help you shoot unless you are usealy behind your targets

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"How would you view Gatorade?"</I>

Mostly salt and sugar; not needed unless you are involved in a strenuous sport over an extended period in high temperatures. Can and will cause stomach irritation (indigestion).

The new G2 low-cal Gatorade is much better suited to quenching the thirst of people involved in a low intensity activity like trap shooting. It has a lower salt and much lower sugar content than regular Gatorade. Cut it 50-50 with water and it's just about ideal.

MK

15. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

O.K., I'll chime in. One word--mashed potatoes. Easy on the stomach. Slow release of sugar. All but one of the essential amino acids. Salt from the butter you mix in. Mostly water (hydrate). If you're worried about electrolytes I'll leave it up to you to figure out how you want to find them. Jim

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Actually, one the the better electrolyte replacements during a shoot is a small can of low sodium V-8 Juice. The cans are sold in 6's and contain 4 or 5 oz. of juice. Drink part of a 16 oz. bottle of water and replace the water with a can of V-8... hydration, electrolytes and vitamins without salt or sugar. Considering that a normal size body needs only about 220 mg. of sodium to maintain proper function, a salted pretzel with the drink will supply what's needed.

MK

17. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

For a healthy energy drink, as opposed to the sugar and caffeine drinks, try Rev3, made by Usana Health Sciences in Salt Lake City. They produce the top rated nutritional supplements and skin care products, and the Rev3 is based on the same cellular nutrition requrements as the supplements.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gatorade or Powerade cut 50/50 with water, works for me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.