1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy drinks and shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GeezerGlide, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Had an interesting experience yesterday. Shot 200 singles , 100 deg + heat, I have used the product known as "5 hour energy" 5-6 times in the past before rounds of sporting clays. Drank one yesterday after the 6th trap, scores went in the tank and I almost blacked out upon finishing 8th trap. I think it may have caused a blood pressure spike?? I am not diabetic , no high blood pressure, am 63. Just thought I would post this as a caution , especially in hot weather(didn't break en all on last 2 traps.

Safe shooting all, Jim Poor/Texas heat

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I can remember seeing Steph Sandler drinking redbull but she admitted big difference since she stopped that. I also watched a teen at our club almost dance on the pad he couldnt hold still after drinking a Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper before his round.

As a position shooter our coach wouldnt let us shoot for an hour after a can or bottle of pop. He swore by that rule and well we always did much better off a sugar rush then on 1.

Jerry Lewis

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Drink water. Even the Lifewater zero calories are ok, and they come in a variety of flavors. Drinking water is a good habit to get into whether or not you are a shooter.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

+1 on the water. I even keep a case of 1/2 liter water in the car at all times. I am trying to encourage my grand kids to drink plenty of water and if they think they are snitching it from PawPaw when we ride they drink more. I learned the hard way about sugary drinks or snacks before shooting. I also try to avoid a large heavy meal for lunch while shooting. Never used the energy drinks because of the heart problems but I could see where they would cause problems.

--- Chip King ---

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you want to recover electrolytes, mix a small (5 oz.) can of low salt V-8 veg juice with water in a 16 oz. water bottle. Works especially well in the heat. If it REALLY hot/humid, use the salted variety sparingly.

<I>[This tip courtesy of The 7th SFGA, formerly Ft Bragg, NC, now Elgin AFB, Florida]</I>

MK

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I usually avoid any type of caffienated drink on shooting day. I usually shoot better the more relaxed I am. But I suppose fatigue could be a factor in the conditions that you describe. Those energy drinks can really pack a wallop. It seems like it could be just as detrimental as getting boozed up before shooting.Bill in MI

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

unknown, Why not drink V-8 straight? It has lots of sodium and potassium. I drink V-8 to rehydrate after a hot day. Do GI's still use salt tablets?

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I would think the opposite is what you would want.

9. recurvyarcher

ke4yyd, because what you really want is water more than anything, and V8 juice is more of a food rather than a hydrator. If you are thirsty, drink plain water. If you are sweaty (which means you're losing salts) mix in some V8 to replace the salts: half water to half V8.

Alternatively, you can drink water and eat a few salted potato chips if you are sweaty.

As Unkown1 indicated, the USAF and NAVAIR has an extensive amount of research into hydration, especially as it applies to airmen. There is a lot that a shooter could glean by talking to someone that has been through flight training.

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Hey, I have over 10,000 hours of military flying. We re-hydrated after an 8 hour flight at 30,000+ feet with a 6 pak.:)

During my 20 years (1955 to 1975) there was a salt tablet dispenser at every drinking fountain.

I always thought V-8 juice was 99% water so I felt diluting it would be superfluous.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you eat a sandwich, do it One hour before shooting, your body goes into a relax mode, blood sugar goes up SPIKES. Wait that hour before shooting, scores will be higher. Eat a good breakfast and wait until after you shoot your first 100 to eat. Just like swimming rules, wait after eating.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

It's called Caffine Overdose ! The worse thing you can consume before or during shooting.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

recury, I learned a lot about staying hydrated from aviation the hard way. In the late 70s or early 80s I was flying right seat in a Queen Air and we were hauling a package from Georgia to Indiana in thunderstorm season. It was a rough flight and we made it down, taxied toward the hangar and I then saw one of the scairest things in my life. Looked in the hangar and the red light was on!!! Yeap, the coke machine was empty!! We didn't have anything to mix with the bottle that Frank carried in his flight bag. And to make matters worst the hotel bar was closed by the time we got there.

From then on I made sure I carried my own. Don't leave home without it.

14. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

5 hour energy has no caffeine, it is just b vitamins. b vitamins work by using natural energy, when they go in your body they seek fat sources and use them in cooperation with the b vitamins from the drink. they are by no means healthy nor a sufficient weight loss trick.....water is the way to go atleast a gallon a day if out in the heat maybe 2, however, my energy drink of choice is monster heavy metal only comes in 32 oz. (not suggested for the faint hearted)

chris gerber 06 11017

15. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

From 5 hour energy web site.......

Original 5-Hour Energy contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Extra Strength 5-Hour Energy contains caffeine comparable to 12 ounces of the leading premium coffee. Decaf 5-Hour Energy contains about as much caffeine as a half cup of decaffeinated coffee.

http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp

16. recurvyarcher

Bisi, that was a good morning laugh. Thanks.

I emailed my son yesterday after I posted to this thread. He had sent me an article about hydration, because I was talking with him and telling him that I thought that I could see better when I was not dehydrated before I shot (he shoots, just not trap). I wanted to post the article here, but I had it saved on another computer that is still packed away in storage from the move to Kansas. He emailed it to me this morning. It's loooong. For anyone wanting a copy of it, pm me with your email address and I'll send it. Way too long to post here.

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Recury, it was indeed a harrowing experience. Even some 30 odd years later the vision of that glowing amber “empty” light on the coke machine is burned indelibly in my mind! An emotional scar was left, but I guess we all have crosses to bear.

That night on that desolate, dark runway in Indiana with lightning flashes in the background I made a vow. A vow much like Scarlett O’hara made in “Gone with the Wind” only where she vowed she would never be poor again, mine was to never want for drink or food.

I found out it was easy to make a vow, far harder to execute. Having feet of clay, that lead to a quest to surround myself with a support group. That quest lead me to a group of people who never seemed to have a want for food or drink. They had it in bushels and pickup trucks: beer, soft drinks, hotdogs, hamburgers………. That is why I’m a trapshooter. LOL

18. recurvyarcher

BISI: "That is why I’m a trapshooter. LOL "

I am still laughing...

19. 7771

7771 Active Member

well this isnt shooting related but i was at a Basketball tournament and i drank a half of a 5 hour energy before the championship game im a guard so i was moving lot!! and every once in a while idk nearly black out! and my focus was off i couldnt shoot the ball as well as i had before and i was all over the place!

20. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

V8 also provides quite a bit of potassium an electolyte that your body needs

I've spent 35 yrs in the HVAC trade, and been in attics where we've drank 3-4 gallons of water in a day and never had to pee, alot of sweating and if your sweating alot you need to replenish salt and electrolytes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.