1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Depletion While Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPM, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM

JPM Member

Very often after shooting about half of a sporting clays event I find myself losing energy and focus. I am diabetic but I don't think that this is hypoglycemia. I've found an energy drink and an energy bar that I intend to use to see if it helps but I haven't found any reliable information about the amount of time prior to either beginning the event or to the anticipation of the energy drop should I drink the drink and eat the bar. Any of you fitness gurus know? Thanks, in advance.

JPM

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Well, your not alone, trapshooting is a sport of fatique. Those who hold up against the fatique can put the better scores.

I am getting more tired as I grow older, but seems the heat has the worst effect on me.

I have found I can hold up better if I stay cool.

One of the tricks I use during the summer is to have a carry along a washcloth I soaked in water, then froze. I freeze it in a platic freezer baggie and put it a cooler of ice. When I go on to the line to shoot, I take the washcloth and put it in my shell bag, or even in my vest. I can press the washcloth in the baggie against my skin and that will wake me up. Between traps, I can use it it wipe my face down and am ready for another 25.

There is a freezeable around the neck garment that is helpful as well.

Stay hydrated.

Getting a good nights sleep and a large breakfast is the best way for me to go.

I am sure you will be getting some really good tips to follow.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Start eating and drinking small portions before you feel tired. Keep eating and drinking throughut the event. HMB

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

JPM

Is heat a problem for you?

5. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

According to Dr. Dan Bernadot, who is also the nutritional expert for our olympic track team, in his book, Advanced Sports Nutrition, well over 80% of all college and pro athletes are dehydrated by the time they complete their athletic event. He also states that dehydration is the #1 source for fatigue.

He explains that hydration of the body needs to begin at least 48 hours prior to the event. Basically, if your urine is not clear, you are not hydrated. The goal is to maintain clear urine throughout your athletic event. Of course this clarity can be skewed by ingestion of certain foods/minerals/vitamins, but that should only last one urine cycle.

Sports drinks are not the answer, water is the answer. Start hydrating 2 days ahead of time, hydrate between every station, and you may see a significant change in your endurance level.

Regards,

Chip Porter

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Do a search for Heed energy drink, this is the one Kiner and others use.

Surfer

7. JPM

JPM Member

Thanks for the advice/information. I am aware of, but not sufficiently attendant to, the need to stay hydrated. I'm shooting a charity event tomorrow - I'll start hydrating today and see if I make it through the event without my routine fatigue. And, yes, heat is a factor. Living in Texas I find it to be a factor about 8 months of the year. Thanks, again. JPM

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Along with starting the hydration well in advance of the actual shoot I will normally have 8oz of vegetable juice in the morning and afternoon during the shoot as well to keep the dreaded cramps away. Being overweight and old the heat can really takes a toll fast and by the time you realize you are in trouble it is too late to recover quickly. Also someone once said it is better to shoot hungry and I believe it. When you step to the line in the afternoon and all you and your full belly want to do is nap your scores will suffer. As was said above snacking or nibbling through out the day is much better than eating (actually cramming it down between events) that one big meal.

--- Chip King ---

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hip, I have found the same thing about eating during a shoot. I'm also guilty of not drinking enough water. To top it off, I usually do the grilling at my club so I get plenty hot. I think I will make a point of hydrating in advance this summer and maybe add a few V8s in there in place of the big greasy burger.

10. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I drink up (water) at shoots but my wife suggested I throw in a smart water later in the day. Lots of water is good, so much so that lots of bathroom breaks will deplete vitamins and you need to replace electrolytes if you sweat a lot. Just one bottle each day in place of plain water made a real difference in how I feel over several days of shooting in heat.

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.