1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

End of year, have you met your goals thread..

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bcnu, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well here it is, within a month of the end of yet another shooting year. I don't know about everyone else, but I always try to set a few shooting goals for myself every year. Actually go so far as to write them down so I can go back and check on the progress, or lack thereof as the case may be, at the end of the year.

So, here it is, the Grand is coming up shortly. Grand trophy expectations notwihthstanding, have you met your shooting goals for the year?

Personally, I wanted to end up in A class in singles. Did that. Pretty close to AA but a little short. Up about 2.5% from last year. A class in doubles. Did that. Managed a whopping 6.5% increase there plus a personal best score of 97 at the Missouri state shoot. Shot my first state shoot 100 straight in singles this year. Did that. Now for the Didn't do side. Did not make it back any farther in handicap this year and I wanted to get at least 2 yards. Close to a few punches but no go.

So on the whole, I am pretty happy with my shooting this year and now have to sit down and set some new goals for next year. Made all my shooting goals but one. Guess that means that is where I need the most work on for next year huh.

So, how did you do?

John

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

John,

I stated the following 2007 goals in a thread on this website:

1. Break into AA in singles, for at least part of the season.

Did not achieve this goal. Started off on a bad note with an 88 in singles in my first registered shoot of the season. Have averaged about 95.5 since then, so I wouldn't have met this goal even without the bad start.

2. Get back to 25 yards.

I DID achieve this goal. I started the season at the 23.5 yard line, and have shot well in handicap all season, culminating with a 96 in the Kansas State Handicap Championship, which won my 22-24.5 yardage class, got that final punch from 24.5 to 25, and got a photo of my ugly mug on page 44 of the August edition of Trap & Field!

3. Stop wasting my time with doubles.

I did this too. I've shot only one round of doubles this season, and I haven't missed it one bit.

Tim

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

This being only my second season, I didn't have too many lofty goals, but I did have a few:

1. Get to 90%, or better in both singles and Caps. Partially met. My singles are at .9237 over 1,900 registered targets, which I feel pretty good about. My Caps ratio is .8410 on 1,050 targets--which plain sucks! At least I'll finally be able to shoot at my 20yd. line vs. the penalty yardages I shot all season (my fault I know).

2. Win my first trophy. Not yet met but remain optimistic. A first trophy from the Grand would be... well--just plain grand!!

3. Temporarily avoid the urge to start shooting doubles. So far so good--but I do get this funny twitch every time a doubles event is underway while I wait on the sidelines for the afternoon Caps event, all the while avoiding eye contact with my trusty ready-to-shoot-doubles 3200 Comp. looking up at me with those lost puppy dog eyes.

Guy Babin

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I set goals at the first of every target year. By the end of September I have shot around 1500 registered targets, most at a 6 day shoot. By that time I realize I should forget my goals for the year and just set goals for each shoot. By mid year I am reduced to only setting goals for the next post I shoot.

Pat Ireland

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It ain't over yet...

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...

My doubles average fell off a cliff. That wasn't my goal.

I turned down a yardage reduction - getting one of those wasn't my goal.

I did repeat as B champ at the Alaska State shoot - short of HOA, but a good consolation prize.

I did win all my shootoffs...that's always a goal.

Next year!!

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

shoot two 90's yesterday one in caps and one in 16 yards in a down pour. 10 more to go to get me back in the old saddle. I hope its at the Grand. The recent eye operation helped alot. Everyone was freaking out because i was shooting that custom Kolar in the rain. LOL

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John..... This is an excellent thread question. I firmly believe every shooter should set some obtainable goals at the start of each shooting season. I track my progress as I go. I also set personal goals for each shoot I attend so I have a challange to look forward to. As for me, I started the year in A class singles with a 95.1 total average from last year, stalled on the 26 yard line in handicap, and in B class doubles with a 88.4 total average from last year. I finally got another DB-81 combo at the start of this year, so I'm much more comfortable with this gun than I was with last years MX-15. My goals were to get back into AA in singles, which I did, now carrying a 97.6 average over my last 1000 singles targets, and get into A class doubles, which I did, now carrying a 94.4 average over my last 800 doubles targets. The hardest goal to achieve was getting the 27 yard line back after sitting on the 26 yard line for quite some time. I came close several times but always came up just a bit short. On my way to the PITA Grand Pacific last week, I set the only goal I had for that shoot. Make the 27 yard line! I was fortunate enough to go out in the very first handicap and shoot a 97, which shared top handicap honors for the event. I was so happy to meet my goal on the first day I just cruised through the rest of the week. I still have about 4 more shoots to go to before the season is done for me, and my goal for the remainder of the year is to keep what I have now and improve my doubles to 96.... Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

my goal is to wake up in the morning,go to my local club and shoot some on fridays and shoot registered targets when i can. i always want to earn yardage but seldom do. someday when the kids are gone i hope to be able to shoot more and get where i want to be but for now just being with friends and shooting is enough.

11. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

John - Great thread.

Goals I've met so far -

Made it to A class in singles ............ 97.36% Average
    Didn't shoot the trap house ..........yet
    Won my first registered handicap match

Goals I haven't met -

Make it to the 27 yard line...........maybe at the Grand?

hubcap

12. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

My goals for 2007: improve my average in singles, handicap, and doubles, and make the 27. Yep did it all... Next year: start working on the ATA Grand Slam. AJ

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My biggest goal was to gain some yardage of which I gained 3 yards to the 23 1/2. Also I started shooting doubles for the first time and I'm at 82% after a 1000 targets. I'm bouncing back and forth from A to B class but improving there also. I've shot 6 97's, 2 98's and a 99 but no 100's yet.

Pat Ireland......LOL that's the way it is for all of us.

I'm also happy with my shooting but the best part of it all is the people I've meet at the shoots I've attended. Trapshooters are the greatest!!!!

Bill

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Seeing this thread made me stop and realize that is two years ago this month that I took my first introductory lesson in trap shooting from my now friend Warren Fine. Warren is a very good instructor who does a wonderful job not only with adult students but produces championship SCTP teams and got me grounded in good fundamentals from the getgo.

It has been a great two years and the most rewarding part is meeting some guys that have become close friends. I started shooting ATA about 18 months ago and the competition has been good fun as well. With over 10,000 registered targets this year, launching the Nation Clay Sports Foundation and Team-Trapshooting.com and serving as Facilities Chair at our Club during our major expansion of 3 new trap fields, a new skeet field and a new Range House, trapshooting has become an important part of my life.

As for shooting goals, I wanted to make the 27 in ATA, I wanted to win an annual yardage group buckle in club shooting, make my State Zone team again and I wanted to average 48+ in our trap league and finish with one of the top four averages.

I started the year at the 21 and just made the 26 but I still have a couple of shoots to go.(Always hopeful). Got the short yardage club buckle for 2006 and have a decent shot at the mid yardage one this year. Didn't make the Zone team but at least my singles are running 95+ now thanks to Mr. Release Trigger. Hit 48.375 in the last 10 week league for the 3rd highest average, good for AA Champ, and should beat that average by a little this 10 weeks.

Overall a good year but we have some real exciting stuff coming up next year that I am looking forward to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.