1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

End "free" pre-squading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

End

In another thread, somebody asked about the squading screw-up at the Keystone.

To me the answer is simple: PRE-SQUAD = PRE-PAY...and not the measly $5 either...the whole fee including options. You don't have a reservation until your money is in their bank. The ATA has enough financial problems without shooting iteslf in both feet with this free pre-squading. Better yet...pay the full fee PLUS a reservation charge to be refunded when you sign in.

Too many squads formed over too much beer at clubs on Saturdays don't materialize when the time comes an that screws up everybody that has to follow these squads.

Any pre-squading that occurs should occur directly with the organizers and not with brokers...and if that won't work, end pre-squading altogether. Why screw up a whole program to convenience only some of the participants??

Mike

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

End

I wouldn't have a problem with at least paying for the targets when pre-squading. That way if you don't show up the club doesn't get too messed up. You can add your options when you get there.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

End

I agree with Jerry Beach's method. Some people, not saying ME mind you, would rather wait to see how many people are at a shoot before deciding to play money, and some other (me) would rather not play money if they are not up-to-par with their shooting. I would pay for the targets, though.

4. zinger

zinger Member

End

What "free" presquadding are you talking about? I know for certain that each presquadded event costs $10 per squad, x 3 events per day, x 3 days = $90 for the three days of the Keystone Open. What thread are you referring to so I can see what your talking about?

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

End

I often pre squad and the above suggestions would be cumbersome at the least , for me. I typically pre squad for an entire squad. If the above suggestions were implemented, for the NC State shoot next week I would have to first send in $1,600 to get the squads.

If an entire squad does not show, it really does not slow down a shoot. It does move the squad numbers up faster, but is this really a problem?

Another possible problem with sending in the target fees with the pre squad request is that it adds another person at the club that must handle money. Clubs like to restrict the number of people who handle the money. It makes accountability much easier. I like to presquad on line and I wish more clubs would take advantage of this service.

Pat Ireland

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

End

<blockquote>"I often pre squad and the above suggestions would be cumbersome at the least , for me. I typically pre squad for an entire squad. If the above suggestions were implemented, for the NC State shoot next week I would have to first send in $1,600 to get the squads.

Another possible problem with sending in the target fees with the pre squad request is that it adds another person at the club that must handle money. Clubs like to restrict the number of people who handle the money. It makes accountability much easier. I like to presquad on line and I wish more clubs would take advantage of this service."</blockquote>

That's why credit cards were invented...

<blockquote>If an entire squad does not show, it really does not slow down a shoot. It does move the squad numbers up faster, but is this really a problem?</blockquote>

It is if you're among the people who have to take a spot on the upmteenth-hundred squad because all the squads ahead of you are "full" and you know damned well that a goodly number of them will shoot less-than-full and some won't shoot at all because no one shows up.

7. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

End

Mike, the problem at PA was not shooter related at all. It was a computer glitch(apparently in singles only) which added the extra flights. If you ever attended a shoot at Elysburg, you would see almost a 95%+ fill rate on squads. As Jim Brown found out in the Handicap, only 2 spots were open in mid-yardage prior to event #5.

The problem with credit cards is how to charge only the shooters using the cards, the extra 3-5% the companies charge? If you can figure that one out, since in most states it is illegal to upcharge for cards. The other would be to raise the fees, but that burdens the non-card uses.

If you can figure it all out, please let us know. I totally agree with you, but till then I'll pay cash or check.

Jeff G

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

End

Online is the very best option for me. Of course, my laptop and I are almost married to each other...LOL!!!

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

End

Jeff G- There are additional problems with the credit card suggestion. None of the clubs I shoot accept credit cards. Additionally, pre squadding work at the club is frequently done by a volunteer who does not have a credit card account set up. I do not know what the set up fee is but very likely it is over $500. I suspect that some shooters would have a problem with sending a credit card number to a home address of a person who they do not know. And, pre squads requests are typically sent in around 45 days prior to the shoot. That would still mean that I would have to pay $1600 to the credit card company well before the shoot.

MacV- I do agree that sometimes the presquadding gets to be a problem. But, eliminating something because it is not 100% functional seems extreme to me.

Pat Ireland

10. bgf

bgf Active Member

End

Pat,

Credit card set up is not near $500...more like $200 which includes the swiper. We just did it 8 months ago. The card usage fee is usurped by most as a handling fee...semantics but it works. Not that we do that.

The major problem with credit card transactions is to separate the ATA fee usage from all other usages...i.e. practice, shells, etc. The ATA fees should be kept separate. But, I know a lot of clubs co-mingle their funds into one account. Not good if you get audited.

Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.