1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

encouragement for girls....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gino66, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gino66

Gino66 TS Member

Greetings all,

I have a unique situation where my 15yo daughter is just starting out shooting trap. She has been a state champion soccer player so she knows competition and has the mental toughness and confidence to succeed. She is burned out on soccer....so trying something new here (at my request). She is truely gifted with a shotgun....must be the total hand-eye coordination thing. Anyway, she needs encouragement to stay in it, and I would like to ask if anyone else has faced trying to develop a talent like this, with a semi-reluctant participant. She tells me she doesn't love the sport, like she did with soccer these last 6 years. I think it will "grow on her", and she has agreed to stay with it thru the state tournament next month.

FWIW, she is on a team with only guys...which I'm not so sure how that plays in...but has to be a factor somehow.

I appreciate the time you may take to respond!

2. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

I'm a girl shooter, and I would just like to let her know if it's the guys who bother her, forget them. I shoot on an SCTP and it's mostly all guys.

If she doesn't like doing it don't force her. It takes 100% commitment to anything to suceed in doing it, which Im sure you both already know from soccer. I spend hours upon hours up at our club, and although for many that many not be a luxury, it's the passion you have when you are there.

At the Ohio state shoot last week I won, Sub-junior three times, and Lady's first and R/u once too. My SCTP team got third for our division. This is my third year shooting. So if your heart and mind are in it, you can do it, being a girl has nothing to do with it. Best of Luck to you in whatever you decide, Katherine Ternes

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

If she is not having fun it does not matter how good she is. Make the sport available and IF she wants it she will do well. If not be happy with her decision. They gotta do what makes them happy. Just like you and me. A Dad with two happy daughters doing it their way. Jake

4. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

I agree 100% she has to have the passion to do it,... but what I was saying is that if others are discouraging her, that she should keep her head up, and work to prove them wrong. Not to let other people get to her just because she is a girl in a men's dominated sport.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You may want to introduce her to sporting and skeet as well. She may find trap too boring since she is used to moving around all the time. But what ever you do, don't force it upon her as she will resent it.

ec90t

6. buster's mom

buster's mom Member

Gino-

My daughter beat me to posting on the thread. She started three years ago at the age of 12. She also has a little sister that is 12 now and was 9 when she started. The first thing her father and I made sure was that the guns that they shot fit them well to eliminate any pain. If it hurts, she will not enjoy it. They also shoot 1 oz. loads to eliminate pain from the recoil. Then we made sure they got good advice and instruction. We are very fortunate to live close to a club so that they can practice whenever it is possible. I know at that age, they want to succeed immediately or they feel it is not for them. Our oldest daughter went from scores in the 50's her first year, and now has a 95+ average in singles. Tell your daughter to hang in there, and with practice and determination, the success will come. Good Luck to You!!

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

All you can do is expost them to the sport. I have introduced several young people to shooting and hunting. About half of them keep shooting a few years later. So far none of the girls have enjoyed it enough to pursue it on their own. We do have a couple of women at our club who enjoy shooting. I think in general guns are more appealing to men than women. I was hooked for life with the first shot I ever took with a shotgun.

8. Beacon

Beacon TS Member

All I can say is if you love it, you love it and if you don't, you don't. If she really likes it then she will stay with it no matter what. If being around boys disturbs her, perhaps you can find times for her to practice without anyone else around. Personally, I find that works better for me when I am really working on something anyway.

Heather

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Gino,

You might want to evaluate the role that "parental pressure" plays in her life, in general?

I mean, you said she's 15 and burned out on soccer after 6 years...meaning you started her on soccer at age 9, state championship, and then she burned out on that sport before she even has her drivers' license.

My advice (which is worth exactly what you're paying for it, maybe less)...introduce shooting to her sorta like you would fishing, or golf, etc. - something she can enjoy in a leisurely manner the rest of her life, until she's 75 or 80 - she will remember you as a great Mom for that. But please don't introduce shooting as something that she has to "burn" for and "achieve" by such-and-such an age in childhood - it's too great of a sport to be cheapened in that way.

You started out asking "how" to motivate your daughter. Maybe you're asking the wrong question - maybe you should question "why" you feel the need to motivate her in the first place. From what I hear, taking her to the dump and shooting cans with a .22 might be better than organized trap...for the both of you.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What j2jake said. Ditto.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Upon some reflection, Gino, I hope I didn't come across as too critical above. Doing the right thing by your kid is not always an easy call.

If you hang around kids sports, you see your share of out-of-control parents.

If you hang around organized trapshooting, you see your share of spoiled rich kids buzzing around in golf carts with $10,000 guns, spending their parents' money...in pursuit of some $15 junior trophy that the other parents will argue their kid should have had.

Just try not to become part of that and you'll be fine.

12. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

I'm 18 and have been shooting trap 3 nights a week since I was 14. I also started shooting rifles when I was 6. Of course, growing up in a family of gunsmiths (I'm 4th generation), skeet-shooters, and trap-shooters, I must say that I felt pressured, or obligated, to shoot.

When I started shooting trap, I was scared and I just really hated when my father made me go to the trap range every Thursday for my 16 yd. practice. This went on for about a year. But then Dad and Grandpa started taking me to clubs all around the area to shoot protectors. That's when I learned to love the game. Now I shoot practice, protectors, trap leagues, and I also shoot registered.

Trap has many varieties. Make sure your daughter is exposed to all of them. She just may find a passion for one of them and later broaden her trap experience.

Good luck

Melissa Barthel

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I put glitter on a browning gold, my wife couldnt keep her hands off it. Let her shoot when she wants to shoot. Also my wife started shooting more after I finally got a gun that fit her and a gun that is "hers". Also shooting light loads did wonders. I used both STS managed recoil and winchester Featherlites. I then started reloading my own. I would ask my wife everytime I do anything.........Im going to do X you want to go X. Also sometimes a on the way or after activity or destination can help. With out a doubt ec90t has it right shoot other games. skeet sporting 5stand. at 15 be idle looses interest fast.

14. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Please let me give you some advice at the age of about 11 I started shooting with my dad. Just for fun !! then boys came into play a few years later and left the game. In 1993 I decided to pick up the sport again (my Choice) And today I have been on tha PA State team for the past 7 years. Ask her to read this!!!! Girls have a great eye - hand coordination but, She can't and will not shoot like a guy she may have to hold higher on her shoulder than her guy counter part (Dad, she has parts you don't) at first I didn't love it I just had fun!!! Last year my dad was dx with cancer and I wouldn't give up shooting with him for anything. Also I like shocking guys that I don't know. and competeing withthe ones I do. If you think that to guys on the teams are impressed with you playing soccer... wait until the see you shoot!! Please always remember Dad let her be herself and she may suprise you and learn to love something you do!!! Good Luck!!!

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Just try to encourage her and be there for help and encouragement when needed. AS posted asbove try to remember it's just a game and you are SUPPOSED to have fun at it! Our daughter shot with us from age 9 until 15 and then just quit. I would do about anything to have her shoot with us again, but I didn't try and force her. It was her decision to make and she pusued other things. Some kids(boys and girls alike) will stay in the spot and some won't. While she probably doesn't mind shooting with the guys, it is probably a good idea to have a female mentor of some type. Hope she stays in it and enjoys it for a lifetime, but if she doesn't just support her in all she endevors to do. Life is short and she will be grown and gone from your household way too fast for your liking.

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We had a young lady start in our SCTP program a few years sgo. She won the Junior championship in the state singles championship That year she also beat won of the best shooters in the country, in shoot off, for a handicap title. She additionally won trophies at the Grand American.

She enjoyed herself immensely and was respected by all. Tell you daughter to just do the best she can and she will be rewarded in many ways. - Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.