1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Enclosed cargo trailer advice

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by stickbird, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

0   0   0

I am looking into buying a enclosed trailer I can haul my golf cart to shoots and also turn it into a camper that I could stay in when I get there.
    I would pull the cart out when I get there and use the trailer to stay in over the weekend,the golf cart is 4x8 so I am looking at 6x12 or 7x16 for size.
    I have traveled and camped alot when I was younger in a VW camper Van so the space isn't much of a concern for the camping part but I have never pulled a Cargo trailer.
    I have noticed that the 6x12 single axle is a nice size and I could get by with that and is around 1000.00 less than a larger tandum axle trailer.
    I know you get what you pay for and the larger has more room and has 2 axles and power brakes
    but I wonder if a 7x16 will pull and travel better or the same as a smaller trailer and worth the extra money?
    I may find out that I am only camping in it a few times a year and just useing it to pull the cart?
    I don't want to go to small or to large but a 7x16 looks alot larger and more to handle?
    I have a Chevy Suburban I will use to pull the trailer.
    any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

For a few dollars more....you might consider a "Toy Hauler"...you get a large ramp and "garage" in back....PLUS...bed. kitchen, and bathroom, included.

Makes things a lot more comfortable.

3. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

0   0   0

We bought a 6'x14', 6'6" tall, semi V nose, single axle to haul our decoys and four wheeler in.

Works perfect for us, dont have to fool with brakes as we carry the lightest plates on it.

Glad we didn't go 12' as it is full now.

Mildot

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Jim, As said it will not be to comfortable to stay in a trailer for overnight stays. No A/C will make tough sleeping in summer shoots. If you still want to follow this, I say find a trailer big enough to hold golf cart and bed,cooler or fridge, storage (room for items) for all you want to carry in. Add all the weight of these items together then add 200 pounds for stuff you will forget and have to add later, and find a trailer that will handle this weight. That will tell you if you need a single or a double axil trailer. The weight load is found on the sidewall of the tires on each side. Don't forget the weight of A/C, portible toilet, food, ice everything you want to bring. 1750 lbs tires on each side is 3500 lbs. This is going to be close to limit for a single axle trailer. You might be able to find a bit more though. Your Chevy will pull both no problem. Where are you going to store it when not in use as well. Food for thought. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I used a Haulmark Kodiak 7 x 16 cargo trailer to move with (850 miles one way). It is a tandem axle 7000 lb gross trailer with a ramp back door. It has electric brakes so you need a brake controller (simple to install since my 2004 GMC was pre-wired for it). You should have a Reese load transfer hitch so that you can relieve excess tongue weight if required. I had no trouble pulling this trailer with my GMC half ton.

You can get by with a lot lighter trailer for just a golf cart. A single axle 7 x 12 or 7 x 14 should be o.k. Watch the height of the trailer because it will determine the drag. A 6'-6" inside height is nice to walk in and out of but the added height will increase the drag and decrease gas mileage. The aerodynamics of the trailer are more important than the weight. My 7 x 16 Kodiak pulled the same whether it was loaded or empty. I would go with electric brakes on any trailer. They make it much safer.

Jim Skeel

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

0   0   0

I used a 26 ft Haulmark for my race car. I put cabinets up in the front for my camping stuff. Air mattresses, portable grille, plates, utensils. I had a refrigerator, microwave, and a small generator. Most places had electricity, but I used it to charge the battery on the car. If the weather was nice I rolled the car outside and stretched out. If it was raining I had enough room in front of the car for the air mattress.
    If I had to do again, I think I would get the toy hauler so I would have a shower. Birdtracker

7. sim32

sim32 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I had a Haulmark 10x6 v-nose when I purchased my Ez-Go Clays car. Had to modify the top on the cart to lower it as it was a standard height trailer and a cart with a lift kit. Very tight squeeze into a a 6 foot wide. Traded the Haulmark for a Featherlite 6.5 X 10 v-nose w/6" added height. All the differen ce in world. Extra room and much easier to pull the cart into the trailer. The Featherlite was double the money of the Haulmark, but it's all aluminum and pulls like a dream. Single axle w/o brakes, but no problem with just the cart in there. I pull it with a Chevy Avalanche. If I had gone to a 12 foot I would gone with tandem axles and brakes as well, but I had a price point I was working within. As far as sleeping in there- if it's hot out---it's going to be a LOT hotter inside that trailer. If it's in the budget, I would checkout the all aluminum trailers, Featherlite, Aluma, Rance, others? More money, but after having one, I would do it over again in a heartbeat. Good luck, Kent

8. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

0   0   0

We are having a new vending trailer built by United Trailers in Bristol Indiana. We liked their product due to the amount of accessories you could add and the alterations we could make to the trailer itself.

We purchased ours from MSI Trailers in Elkhart, Indiana (home of the 18% unemployment).

They have a 5 year warranty.

Good luck in your search,

Cory
    Windy City Shooting Sports

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

6x12 vs 7x16 pulling

cargo trailer that can be pulled by a golf cart