1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empty squads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Why can't clubs fill the first squads in an event? I was posted on the 1st available squad (10th which was in the 2nd flight) and sure enough I was the 1 st squad to shoot. What is the issue and how can it be fixed?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The issue is giving shooters the squad/post they want, if the traps face east then nobody wants to shoot on an early squad in the morning.

3. 9point3

All traps face north. 2nd event of the day

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Cold machines, not warmed up, so funky targets can result. East rising sun can be an issue even if traps face north, but thats an issue even into mid morning.

Curious,...Why weren't you signed up on the first squad?

5. running bear

running bear Member

Clubs give shooters choice for the squads they want. Wellsburg West Virginia State shoot traps face east so nobody wants to be on early squad. Detroit Sportsman Congress Traps also face East.

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

If you have never squaded, you won't understand. Those that have do. You can't FORCE anyone to shoot early. They just won't shoot. You will loose shooters. And nobody wants that.

I have that job in Billings MT this year. The club faces East/Northeast. The sun is pretty much in your eyes early and by midday it's really nice, the sun shining on the targets makes Handicap fun.

It would be nice if everyone would be like John Saubak, He will shoot early squads, but it just isn't going to happen.

We just do the best we can.

Rick in MT

7. 9point3

Like I said, the first available squad was the 10th so I took it, It was the 2nd event of the day so all traps were warm and all traps face north so sun is not an issue.

8. 9point3

I guess I am not making this clear, When I signed up, the 1st available squad was # 10. What happens to the squads that were full?

9. 9point3

I am starting to get pissed, the 1st available squad was #10 I took it expecting to be in the 2nd flight, Where did all the shooter go that were supposedly signed up for the 1st flight? They must have existed at one time or I could have squaded earlier

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask shoot management instead of getting all torqued up on here. How in the hell would guys on here know why they did something at a shoot you didn't name?

11. 9point3

Its a problem at lotsa shoots but I hear from some shooters that it never happens at so & so shoot, How is it combated at other shoots?

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

So, did 9 squads in front of you all cancel if squad 10 was the first available? Not sure how that works.

I love Presquad.com. Takes all the pissing and moaning right out of squadding.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

generally it's an issue with 9 am start times. 2nd event starts would be very unusual..... best to ask management what happened...

14. Mikeegak

Mikeegak TS Member

9point3
    I know what you are talking about. One of the reasons I don't shoot anymore. I got chewed out once for being late. Third group out (earlier squads all full), but I was the first squad to shoot. A number of times I also shot alone even though when I squadded, my squad was full. Happened a number of tmes at a number of shoots. Could never get a straight answer when I asked shoot management. I miss shooting, but not enough to put up with the aggravation and start again.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Now thats a real stupid reason.....

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I know a club that tells shooters unless squads are completely filled up we don't shoot. All the primadonnas are put in their place and are forced to fill a squad in the order they sign up, unless you have a few people you want to shoot with, and then they all have to be in line, classified, and paid, and they take the very next squad.

No phone calling in to reserve a squad, no signing up on the last 16 yard squad and then the first handicap squad. The club is run like the Third Reich is in charge and the shooters know what's expected and the shoots are run with precision.

Their attendance is the best in the area as everyone knows it's their rules if you want to shoot at this particular club, or it's the highway. If you complain they will throw your a-- out of their club and told to never come back, and they mean it. Great place to shoot.
    Can't argue with success,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If I'm there...and ready to go, I'll shoot squad 1, post 1....if nobody else wants to shoot on squad 1, I guess I'm doin' it solo....all the clubs I shoot at face north. I remember at the Spring Grand at Phoenix in '83, the morning sun was a mother...so squad 28 was first up....

Ron Burr

18. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I'm on squad one for the 2nd event of the day at my state shoot. I have missed my squad at the Autumn Grand because the first 15-20 were empty before. I plan to shoot a 100 straight in the handicap event and put all the pressure on the shooters who check the scoreboard before shooting. I'll let you know how my theory works out....LOL

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's management taking care of the big dogs and their buddies and screwing the little guy. HMB

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The old Spring Grand at Litchfield was famous for shooters re squadding if there was wind early in the morning.

Dale and I were forced to be a 2 man squad 3 years in a row. they were full squads but the others scratched.

Da Boyz would pay a resquad fee rather than shoot in a little breeze.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.