1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empty Hulls on the Ground or in a Pouch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Switchblade327, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

I’ve been away from the sport for a while now, maybe 5 years. Just before I left the topic was often coming up about whether or not it was acceptable to let your empty hulls eject out onto the ground. I recall people being passionate on both sides of the argument. Where is that at now? Do most clubs allow you to do so, or are you required to contain them or pick them up? What is the rule at the Grand and the Satellite Grand’s now? cls

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

I always put my emptys in my vest. I will take them to the trash when my shooting is over. Inbetween rounds, I quickly transfer them to my shooting bag, to make room for more. I guess I would rather do this than make someone els clean up after me.

3. t7731

t7731 Member

There are as many rules on this as their are clubs. We dont care at our club, as we just pick them up at the end of the day. Some have a "if it hits the ground, it belongs to us" rule. Others want shells bagged or picked up immediately after the round is over.

4. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

Thanks C-money, that was always the argument, making someone clean up after you. I remember threads even becoming heated with some calling others pigs and slobs for leaving their empty hulls on the ground for someone else to pick up. But it was my experience that most clubs paid young people and provided rakes for them to police up the empty hulls. And there is the fact that (some) hulls have value, and the club would make money (however paltry) on their sale. But another side of that argument was the increasing costs clubs faced in throwing targets, they weren’t hiring so many young people. cls

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What do you do with your cigerette butts and your candy wrappers? We expect shooters to pick up or pocket their empties at our club, and post signs to that effect. Mark

6. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

Thnaks t7731, so it sounds like nothing has changed... cls

7. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

Mark, I don't smoke and I never liter. And I take issue with those who do liter as it is unacceptable. I did smoke when I was in the army and was taught to "field strip" the butts and dispose of them properly. But this is a little different situation, with a very long tradition. I do not equate letting hulls lay to be littering. Thanks for your reply. cls

8. Oregunner

People that litter usually have an excuse as to why their littering is different than someone else's littering. You throw it on the ground, and someone else has to pick it up. Unless you bring your wife along, that counts as littering in my book. (I put my own dirty clothes in the hamper.)There are lots of traditions whose time has passed. I used to pour my used motor oil in my driveway. Mark

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I flip them on the ground and watch the reloaders scamble for them, especially the new Nitro's ... WPT .... (YAC) ...

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Unless I'm shooting my STS reloads I let the economy hulls fly.

This is only during leagues and ATA shoots. During regular shooting at clubs I pick my hulls up after I'm done shooting.

11. Oregunner

We enforce our "Pick up your empties" policy by telling shooters that if they aren't interested in picking up their hulls, the cost of a round is increased by $1.00, and we will take care of it for them. Mark

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I was a "died in the wool" reloader and never submitted to throwaway shells so I did save them all and sorted later at my trailer or home saving most and dumping a few in garbage. I've seen many different clubs and rules and those that want empty shells picked up generally provided obvious containers/buckets at the shooting posts but there is still the many auto loaders with no catcher on the fields.....breakemall

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I don't want to be known as a SLOB so I put my throw-aways in the provided trash cans. Ross Puls

14. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

I see nothing has changed... Thanks for the laugh Bill. cls

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you finnish shooting for the day can you also pick up your lead shot from the drop zone? I wouldn't want to be accused of littering. HMB

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The bottom line is many clubs are run by VOLUNTEERS.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Picking them up off the ground takes twice the effort as dumping them from your shell bag."</I></blockquote>...like THAT wouldn't be a major benefit to some shooters!

Keller

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Mark:
    You can't be serious about charging a shooter an extra dollar to pick up empties. Reminds me of years ago when Blockbuster in my area got so arrogant and told their customers that if the tapes they rented were not rewound fully they would charge them an extra dollar per tape.

Where did that get them, as they are now out of business. This is trapshooting, and in my area the pullers usually have nothing to do between squads but sit. Picking up hulls between squads should not cost a club one dime extra. When clubs could resell empties, they had no problem with shooters throwing hulls on the ground.
    Steve Balistreri

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We have a few buckets for hulls scattered around the club and a standing rule to police your own hulls . WE also have containers for soda and water bottles and one for garbage . AS a small club we feel that we are not there to pick up everyones hulls and empty boxes . With a few signs and announcements of the fact , the shooters respect our wishes and those without shell catchers go back out and pickup their empties . This is no big deal and we figure if you can`t live up to our minor club rules , you can go somewhere else and throw you garbage around . WE do also have 2 vests and 6 hull bags for borrowing in the trailer and some shell catchers too if needed .

20. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I am the President of our club and I will ask someone to Please pick up their empty hulls. I ( we ) are not your mother. We have no hired help and as one shooter has stated you have never worked from 7 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon filling houses, keeping score, only to have to pick up hulls at the end of the day.

To league shooters I say the same buy a bag and use it. You can bet you bipie if those hulls were bring 50 cents each you would see shooters falling over themselfs to pick them up. That's the problem with our country today no one wants to take responsibilty for what they do. Just slobs at heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.