1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empty Hulls and Airlines

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I was wondering if you can take empty hulls on the airlines as checked luggage? I doubt they would let you carry them on.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No problem with them in my checked back w/ Northwest last summer

3. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

I carried 200 on once (pre-9 11), they went thru x ray, wipe test for explosive, and handed back to me to board. Vandalia (out of Indy) to Tucson was the route.

The bagged hulls were never opened or inspected.

The residue does not set off alarms.

Doug Sims

4. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

How many are you talking about? Enough to make it worth your while will get noticed, and to take home just a few isn't worth the trouble.

You'll pack them in carry on - get charged for an extra bag. The TSA goofballs will take notice - either by the bomb sniffers or the x-ray machine. They'll open up your bag and see a bunch of shotgun shells. Since they can't tell a loaded shell from a bologna sandwich - or just won't take the chance there's something they don't understand that's going to go BOOM in your bag. They'll go find you in the terminal, ask you what's going on - for 3 hours. By then your airplane will be long gone, you'll have no empties, and have been probed by a $12/hr moron with a Napoleon complex because of the "TSA" printed on his Gov't issued shirt.

Sounds like fun eh?

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Perazzitms - you speaking from experience or just blowing smoke out your your-know-what?

I've done it quite a few times, four to seven hundred in a mesh laundry bag inside my checked luggage. Always told the TSA guy they were in there and they never once even raised an eyebrow.

Scott

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I got stopped because the bomb sniffer hit on the dust I had on a pair of shoes I kept in the same closet as my shooting vest. Never shot in the shoes themselves. Didn't go shooting that day. Had no shooting stuff with me whatsoever.

Had 4 TSA guys take turns unpacking and repacking --- and unpacking my bag (checked bag - when they sniffed it at the counter). Answered the same questions 3 times. Had to convince THEM I was absolutely sure I wasn't on any heart medication. Missed my plane (Uh, sorry sir, it's not our responsibility.....)....bla bla bla........

What I'm saying is -- is it worth it trying to take home $20 (400) worth of hulls? Get through with no problems - then fine. Get FUBAR'd by the TSA and you'll wish you never saw them.

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've done it at least twice and maybe three times from San Antonio to Pocatello, at least 1300 once-fired Remington each time, on Delta in checked baggage, no problem.

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have to agree that the TSA can be a pain in the A-- at times and they are not very good at what they do. When I left the Grand last year they swabbed my shooting shoes that I rest my gun barrel on and either my foot odor covered the gun powder residue or their machine isn't very sensitive.

9. eew

eew Member

I have had the opportunity to have a lengthy discussion with some of the folks from Homeland Security. Gun powder is not what there machines are scanning for, but nitrates, such as the stuff in fertilizers, i.e. stuff for good bombs. What gets the alarm set off more than anything is golf shoes and clubs, from picking up residue at the course.

Also the heart medicine, nitro glyceryn....

Later

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Oh heck...just tape the hulls to your body, wrap a towel around your head and board on up....they'll be glad to see ya!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.