1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empty hull pickup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kyskeet, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

Any body have a sucessful method of empty hull pickup from the grass. Magnet on a stick works but only 2 or 3 hulls at a time. Like most volunteer ran clubs the cleanup falls to a few that are not getting any younger (bad backs).Lets here your method (home made or comercially available.

2. raymerlo

raymerlo Member

nut pickers,walk or tow behind garden tractor

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We put up signs that tell people to pick up their own shells. When we first started to enforce this, we told shooters we had a two tiered pricing system, $4 a round if you picked up your own empties, $5 a round if the trap help had to pick them up. We see very few empties on the pad. Mark

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have seen those "Nutpickers" at work at the range they work pretty slick. They are a round barrel shaped brush material rolling hand tool that wedges the shells between the brisles of the brush. Click the link above.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is what you need. The WSRC/Sparta has one and it works really well. Website is above. Not cheap but works great. There are several sizes including one that is designed to be pulled behind a tractor, golf cart or 4 wheeler. Their website has a video of the thing in action.

grntitan_2009_2503181.jpg

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Matt,

You and I had the same idea. The problem with the pull behind is you run the hulls over before you pick them up. Is there a way to hook them up in front like they pickup golf balls at the driving range. Jon

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jon,

I have no idea and never even thought about running them over first. The one they use at the WSRC is the smaller hand push model. I have watched them use it numerous times and its very impressive how well it works. I have seen a similar item at a driving range but I can't remember if they were pushing or pulling it.

Matt

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

True Value Hardware has Pecan wire pickers for about $12.00. I would think they would work on shotgun shells.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Since we started a few years ago with everyone picking up their own hulls , it has turned our club into a very neat and clean club . We have a 3# magnet from an old CVR speaker on a 1/2 in thin wall pipe that works very well with steel based hulls where you can get 7-8 hulls on before putting them into a bucket . Brass hulls have to be picked up by the primer only and maybe only 4-5 per pickup . It has a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the middle for easy fastening . You flatten an inch of one end of a 4-5 ft piece of thin wall and bend it at a 45* angle and drill a 1/4 in hole , the other end we just stuck an empty hull on to dress it off . Usually some youngsters at the club would use the magnet inbetween rounds which made them feel usefull . No one seems to complain !!! Now to find the proper magnet to pick up the cigarette butts that some leave around ??? I do have a 3 inch nail on a broom stick for that . I do have a sign posted but some don`t care where they throw their butts , usually right in front of the sign ???

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

How about this magnet! I can make these up. I have people that say they have picked up 20+ hulls. We use them every day here on the sporting clay range. Nice to get them hulls out of the briars.

Scott

cykick_2008_03036.jpg

11. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

At a couple of clubs I shoot at they first rake the hulls into piles, then pick them up with plastic manure forks. The forks are about 16-18" wide, with a slight curve to the tines, which are close enough together to pick up the hulls, but far enough apart that grass and small stuff falls through. The hulls are dumped into bird boxes at one club, and at the other they use plastic baskets, like laundry baskets. I like the laundry baskets, myself, as they are bigger and you don't drop as many hulls outside the rim of the basket.

12. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

they also pick up the cord on the mic lol

13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Our club has a rolly-picker-upper as pictured above, and it works pretty well, unless the grass is long.

One of our committee members got buckets, and puts them out at each post. He's generally on the first squad (or one of the other Committee members is) and, after the round, he starts picking up hulls.

Peer pressure takes over, as a rule. Members join in as it's their club to keep clean. Guests often pitch in, so as not to look like @ssholes.

It's actually a good system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.