1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empties in checked luggage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have some hulls and want to bring them home , will TSa grab them? These will be in checked baggage not carry on??? Fc

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm sure the GPR would set off a lot of alarms and be a big inconvience for a lot of people. Just box them up and send them home via USPS. I wouldn't even try to take them on a plane.

ss

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

They usually won't take 'em!!

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Box 'em and ship 'em via USPS...

Don't take anything on a plane that you do not "definitely" need.

Curt

5. Frank C

Too late we will see if they grab them. They allow boxed ammo why not useless pieces of plastic?

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Have had experience with this. They have REAL trouble with empties because when they scan them there is traces of nitrates from the fired powder and they go NUTS!!! The traces are not evident in unfired shells and that is why they have no problem with CHECKED unfired ammo.

Actually, I like them to go nuts about some things. I AM THE ONE GETTING ON THE PLANE NOT THEM!!! I really want them to look at everything, including my stuff. It is an inconvenience but it is for MY protection. I am williong to take the bad with the good.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Mail them to your house. Its not worth all the SH!T you will have to go through.

8. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

OMG with all the BS today I can not believe someone would even ask that question. They take tweezers off people and ya think there going give you a pass on empty hulls with burnt powder. Are these hulls gold, or silver????

9. DJSims

DJSims Member

A few years ago, I left the Grand American, boarded a flight, and carried on 200 AA once fired shells.

The security sent the backpak thru x-ray, wiped and scanned the bag, and sent me on my way.

The powder is a deflagrent, and does not give TSA heartburn.

Doug Sims

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Both times I've flown home from a shoot, I sent back hulls in my luggage. Most recently this past october flying out of San Antonio. I sent back 500-750 20 and 28ga hulls back. Wasn't really worth the $ to ship them back, but I sure as heck didn't want to let them lay on the ground. No problems whatsoever. First time was flying out of Detroit, but that would have been in 05 or 06.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This brings back a funny situation. Back in 1995 long before 911 I boraded a plane and at check in I removed all my change etc and put it in the basket and handed it to the security person. He saw my money clip ( it had two federal shell heads that looked real but were not, embedded in it. My wife gave it to me as a gift) It took me 30 minutes to convince them to let me board

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sell them at the shoot, buy more at home. Why pay shipping.

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

When the TSA insists on confiscating your nail clippers and doing full patdowns on 6 year olds, do you really think they'd be comfortable with OMG! EXPLOSIVES! in your baggage?

Not any more. We've already crossed that bridge.

14. shelly

shelly TS Member

Just how would empty hulls be explosives? When they were full, they weren't even explosives so they sure couldn't be when empty. I seriously doubt that there are any restrictions on empty shotgun shell hulls.

15. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Does cavity search comes to mind??? ENJOY!!!

16. shelly

shelly TS Member

BIGJIM, this is about checked baggage, not carry on. You never see the people who inspect the checked baggage. A cavity search probably wouldn't bother the empty hulls one bit.

17. Frank C

Happy to advise that the 200+ shiny new STS shells arrived unscathed in my checked baggage tonight!

18. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

How about a show of hands from everyone who responded to this thread . . . please raise your hand if your response was based on actual experience traveling with empty hulls in your checked luggage.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

bobdog--You are aware that you can travel with loaded shells in your checked baggage? As stated before, loaded ammunition and especially hulls, are not considered explosives. Loaded ammunition is labled "ORM-D" when shipping. Not explosives. Now if it was a jug of powder in your luggage, you may be in some deep doo-doo.

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hand raised

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.