1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empirical Data 30-32-34

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    out in left field
    Notwithstanding the ability of a given shotgun to swing or balance better with one length barrel or another, is there any empirical data that a 34" barrel patterns better than a 30" or 32" barrel or vice versa ? There seems to be many schools of thought regarding what is the proper or optimum barrel length for one or all of the shooting sports i.e. trap, skeet, sporting, bunker, etc.
    What determines the best barrel length ? Is it :

Whatever the nationally recognized big dogs are shooting ?

What the gun manufacturers are recommending ?

What your shooting buddy is using or the other locals at your club ?

Whatever barrel length has the highest current resale value for what is in vogue ?

As an example, 28" skeet barrels used to be the acceptable length. Now you can hardly give one away. Some sporting clays shooters claim 30" barrels are correct - others say if you don't have 32" barrels you're lucky to hit a target. Other than mere "opinion" are there "facts" that support one length over another ? . . . and if so, is there data for each shotgun sport ?
  2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I think you will break just as many targets with a 26" bbl. as a 34" if they are choked the same & FIT YOU. Just because I'm strong enough to comfortably handle a 10+ # gun with a 34" bbl. doesn't mean everybody is, actually I shoot a 30" bbl. on a M.31 Rem. with that extra 5" of receiver total length is about the same as a SBT with a 34--35" bbl. Of course I've never broken 100st. either-- 99s yes,-- 100s NO.-- (Gee maybe that's my problem) (chuckle) Anyway just keep shooting & enjoying--Ross Puls
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.