1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empire Grand Weather ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunpeople, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Now that the Empire Grand is about over, I was curious as to how the weather was up there this year...

In the past I have shot in all sorts of weather at the Empire in May..

Snow ?

Sleet ?

Hail ?

Plain old cold?

Plain old hot ?

Plain old rain ?

Ankle deep water ?

Nice grass, and dry ?

What was it this year ???

A southern transplant..Dave in SC

2. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

it was still real muddy on saturday -went to watch for a little while.

i was hoping for more vendors- only about 4 of them

i was also disapointed in the complex- i guess i thought being the state
    hq for ata -it would be nicer

what did impress me was the 27 trap fields all in a row

kevin

3. shotgunpeople

Thanks guys,

I wondered if I missed anything this year.

Sounds like normal for NY this time of year...I wonder how they can possibly keep going with this early spring shoot, they can't possibly be making any money.

I wish them well but I think someone should rethink their position as to this shoot, especially when it costs $14,000.00 before a shot is fired.

Sometimes it's best to bury pride and do what's prudent...Either move this shoot, or discontinue it..Weather is so unpredictable...My old home, state and I would like to see them continue to do well.

Dave

4. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

conditions were difficult, amazing how the light changed today,the targets were bright orange then they were almost invisible (for me) wish i had a kept another set of lenses in my pocket. Well run shoot, great people, good times, lots of competition.

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

good shoot...tough visability, but great targets. Management did a good job!

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I thought the shoot went well despite the fields being wet on a couple of days. I only got wet shooting one day and that wasn't even that bad. I'm glad I brought an array of boots.
    Good shoot. Good people. I had a good time.

Dr. Honk

7. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear SHGUNPEOPLE DAVE/JUDY,
    The weather was good from Friday on to Sunday shootoffs. With a very new piece of shooting gear....water proof boots minimum to withstand 2.5 inches of standing water on banks one to 7B. Actual sign on back of one scorekeepers chair..."Lifeguard on Duty"... Was warned Thursday evening about the water depth, so I brought my best footwear. Needed it every day to survive with dry feet. Managed a straight on Fridays 16's standing in 2" of water. Cloudy sky's Friday made for difficult target visibility.....Reminded me of early duck hunting at Oak Orchard. But it wasn't cold. And when it warmed up Saturday, the mosquitos from the Great Cicero swamp greeted us!! Bug repellant was required! ...The NYS ATA guys did a great job of keeping the shoot running and on time! in spite of flood water conditions. Saw one license plate frame...."Where the hell is Osceola, NY?". A fishermans truck, I might note. You missed a fun shoot!!! And Saturday's 16's shootoff between Ray Stafford, Chris Vendel and Dave Proper was quite a show of target breaking ability on cranked up targets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fifteen turns on the main spring!

Respectfully submitted....Jet Boat Bill Sunday 11:15 PM

8. shotgunpeople

There is no doubt that the management does a very good job running a shoot such as this under almost the worst of conditions. These people should be commended.

I am not trying to shoot them down at all with my posts, just thinking if they could move the date to a little later, maybe they wouldn't have to do all this extra work and the shooters would enjoy the shoot a little more.

I am sure I missed some great shootoffs. When you get talent like Stafford, Vendel and the like, it always promises to be a good show...

Dave

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Hi Dave in SC, I bet you didn't know that the lone 200 on Saturday was 17 yr. old Justin Slater. Justin is a member of the Inland Waters Trap League and shoots for the Lima Gun Club. He also broke a 50 at our trophy shoot 2 weeks ago. He started the Empire Grand on the 25 and ended up on the 27. Way to go Justin!! Larry Evans

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Hats off to Bill Price (D Class) with a 196 on Saturday.

He had a Release Trigger installed late last year, as one heck of a flinch.

I don't think he has flinched once this shooting year. His scores have shown steady improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.