1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Empire Grand - Thinking about attending

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ajc, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajc

ajc Member

I have some accumulated airline miles I need to burn off, so I'm thinking about heading to the Empire Grand for a long weekend. Need advice from the experts regarding recommendations for lodging, meals, nearest local airport (Syracuse?), etc.

Also, any experience and tips about shooting at the NY State Homegrounds would be appreciated.

And is there a program available on-line?

On a related note, has anyone ever shipped empty hulls? Will USPS, FedEx, etc. accept them? Is the shipping cost worth it?

Thanks in advance,
    ajc

2. pjh

pjh Member

We will be at the Empire Grand! The better hotels seem to be by Carrier Circle. There ore lots of local restaurants esp. The Plainville Turkey Farm!The Syracuse Airport is just 10min away. Rochester Airport is about 100 miles away. Weather permitting this should be a great shoot!. Shoot well!

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

There's a Sheraton over by the university which is very nice.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Pete, I heard over a month ago that the Turkey Farm was closed. Anyone from Syracuse know the facts? Larry

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I went to college at SU and have never heard of the Turkey farm? Is it a restaurant?

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

When does the program come out? Or is it already out? If so , where could I find it? Thank you.

Osker Reynolds

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The Plainville Turkey Farm restaurant closed last month.

8. Cray

Cray Member

870: For good? Why??? Cray

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Cray:

Yeah, it's for good. I think they were having concerns over battling salmonella with all of the fresh turkey they handle. A bad economy couldn't help.

10. slick50

slick50 Member

In Cicero, everything depends on the weather. The area is sometimes plagued by bad weather. The Home Grounds are located just south of a huge inland lake(Oneida Lake). If theres good weather it will be a great shoot, If its bad weather its very tough. Bring your bug dope... If the mosquitos hatch in the swamp they will carry you away. See you there.

That sucks the Turkey farm closed....Is that for good??? That place was always great to go to.

Bill

11. Cray

Cray Member

870: Thank you. Cray

12. eperry

eperry Member

Be prepared for anything, hot, cold, and rain. Often very windy. Last years handicaps on sunday had gusts to 50 miles per hour. They throw the NY target, orange with black ring.

13. pjh

pjh Member

For those playing along. The Turkey farm was on RT 11 just north of 31. All you could eat thanksgiving dinner.. A trap shooters dream (if you were eating your way to AAA)Yummy!

We have also made some improvements to the shoot and grounds with more to follow. If you have any thoughts on this please feel free to send me an email and I can present it to the Board at the next meeting.Constructive criticism only please.

The program is created by the National ATA Office since its a Satellite Grand. I just checked their website and nothing yet. I will call them in the morning.
    Peter Hamann

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Dang Pete,

Judy and I were going to treat you to the Turkey Farm this summer..There will never be another place like that...Thanksgiving all year long !!! Sad !

Dave in SC

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

bring your raincoat!!

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In case of rain....pack your hip boots.

Curt

17. pjh

pjh Member

According to the ATA office the program should be on line later today! shootata.com

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Might jes see you there JR. How's everything going? Hope you weathered the winter well! Take care, Jeff

19. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Empire Grand program is available at the link above.

20. eperry

eperry Member

to V10 Where is the link on the ata or nys state website for the program? I cannot find it. Thanks for posting it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.