1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Embryonic Stem Cell Research, Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cls, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Member

What's your opinion, and why?

Yeah yeah I know, it's another thread that's not about Trapshooting. Sorry, but as long as I've been on this site I've seen pretty much every Trapshooting topic covered. Thanks for your constructive comments on the subject. cls

2. tj303

tj303 Member

Depends on the source of stem cells. If they come from a miscarriage or 'naturally' occurring source, great. If they come from the 'business' of 'harvesting' abortions, bad. Take away the money, all cells must be donated, can not sold or traded by anyone or any business.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with tj303. I have a vested interest in that I'm entering my 40th year as a Type-1 diabetic, three eye diseases, silent heart attacks...and more. I would not trade 1 day or 1000 days of my life span for an innocent life ie., aborted child!

Sincerely,

milt

4. cls

cls Member

Thank you both, I appreciate your comments. cls

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Make it 10,000 days!!

milt

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The problem with embryonic stem cell research, is that this particular technology is not headed anywhere. Adult stem cells show more promise, since they don't require the destruction of the source, and there are other cell sources which are being researched.

If the embryonic stem cell had such promise, why aren't the commercial venture capitalists standing in line to fund the research.

Dennis

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Genetic engineering with the help of stem cell research is where medicine is heading on many fronts. It has tremendous upside potential for diseases and injuries that are just not curable now.

8. bocephus

bocephus Member

The only reason there has any push for embryonic stemcell research is to keep abortions legal, nothing more. There are many better options than the 1 they never have been able to get any positive results from.

9. calilori

calilori TS Member

I have no issue with stem cell research, but my daughter and I both suffer from an auto immune disease and we would benefit from it. However, I do have an issue with the government funding of it.

10. calilori

calilori TS Member

A majority of the stem cells come from people who have had invitro and have "extras" they aren't from abortion or miscarriage. I don't know if that makes a difference to you all or not, but it is what it is, and as I said, I don't think the research should be funded by our tax dollars.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

They can use cord blood stem cells instead. Free source, live birth.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

No longer an issue because they have found adult stem cells work even better.

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The history is long and the results are few.

But research is good, have a problem with using cells from aborted life (if that is even true).

Ronbo

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Genetic Engineering..........now that can have a sinister ring to it........

Seems to me the 3rd Reich was on that track.

But yes, the disease conquering implications are huge.

curvey has it.

HM

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Bo says "The only reason there has any push for embryonic stemcell research is to keep abortions legal, nothing more."

Bo you need to do a little research before you make a statement like that. Seriously if you can use the internet you can educate yourself and you will see how off the wall that statement really is.

16. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

My brother is a research scientist in this area, and has explained at length what direction it is going. There are tremendous positives in this technology. This being said, I am for abortion, but against getting pregnant for just this purpose.

17. cls

cls Member

You are "for abortion" Hmm... I understand your intent with that statement, it just comes across sort of odd...

Thanks again to all for the input. cls

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It would be easier growing old without fighting a life threatening condition.

I don't know how far the stem cell program can go to replace damaged and failing internal organs.

However, NOT at the expense of another human life, even if harvested before birth.

As far as abortion, I support it if your 13 year old daughter, or wife, is attacked or drugged, or if a life is at severe risk. For convenience's sake or casual birth control, I am against it.

Abortion in case of a severe defect? I have conflicting emotions about this. Raising the "million dollar baby" goes against my common sense because of the numbers of normal children who would survive with those funds spent on them.

Biblically, it is murder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is good and bad embryonic cell research