1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elysburg lead reclaimation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mis-some, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

Just shot at Elysburg this weekend. It was a great shoot, a hugh fireworks display and a fun time. They are in the process of reclaiming the lead from the ground and a taking tons of lead out. I think this is a great idea. Interesting to see how they do it and a great help to the environment. Trap shooting goes green.

2. 686

686 TS Member

to realy help trap shooters, get them to sale the shot-lead only back to shooters. i bet most of it will leave our sport. that is a shame since it came from us. every club member of every club all over the usa should demand there club to make sure it stays with shooters. clubs are double dipping. they sale you shells, charge you to shoot, then sale the lead to china paint co. just my 2 cents worth.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Has anyone thought of suing them for stealing your shot from you?

You bought and paid for that shot and you are the one who put it there for safe keeping. Some clubs have signs that mention if your hull hits the ground it is property of the club but I have never seen a sign or anything about shot becoming the property of the club so ... why not sue them for stealing your shot from the ground and making a profit off of you from there thievery?

Demand what is rightfully yours but be sure to let them keep 20% or so for there effort of recovering your property.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Hey Newbutt, first pay to have an environmental impact study done to determine the detrimental effect of you depositing your toxic materials, without a permit no less. Next pay the storage fees for your abandoned property, and then pay the clean-up fees and fines for your illegal dumping. If there is anything left, see if you can buy yourself a life.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I think I know who may be wound to tight ...

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

You are misinformed. Every club I know that reclaims the shot puts the money back into the club in the form of new traps, maintenance of facilities etc. The idea that the reclaimed shot is somehow wasted or is money 'stolen' from the members is ludicrous.

TB

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Most of the lead shot reclaimed from clubs in central and eastern Pennsylvania as well as most of the northeast is sold to the Exide battery plant in Reading, PA.

Ed

8. 686

686 TS Member

T Baber i an not against the clubs making money . i just think shooters should get to buy the shot not out siders of the shooting fun. thanks Avaraged you to see our lead being sold off. you can not keep taking from shooters and not giving them a chance to buy back, from the club. i do think the clubs have the right to make money, just give the members first chance to buy at the same price. thanks

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

686 ... what do you think about McCain ruining our sport with what is going to be happening to overall lead prices if he does what he wants to do?

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

If you saw some of the junk that came out of the lead reclaimination process you would change your mind. I would not run it down the barrel of an 1100 much less my Perazzi. You assertion that selling the reclaimed lead to a smelter is taking it away from the shooters is stupid. Shot makers buy from the smelters too. I suspect that much of the reclaimed lead is remade into shot. 30-40% of all the lead in this country comes from the recycle market. So its safe to say that 30-40% of the shot you shoot was at one time lead in a battery. Does selling battery lead for shot take away from the auto manufacturers?

I think not...

TB

11. 686

686 TS Member

T Baber i agree with you. i would not shoot the reclamed shot but a lots do. i would melt it down and make my own shot. the anly thing i see is all the chain stores and big tire shops are sending there wheel weights back to the battery co. i use less lbs. car batteries than i do shot. there is only so much lead out there . i am thankfull we all got to enjoy some of it . i only hope the bucket does not run out. it would be nice if a little could be added back in alone.

12. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

If anyone thinks that shot as reclamed is ready for the loading bench, they are kidding themselves . Once fired shot does in fact belong to the club.As a % of total shooters I would bet that not 15% reload.That could be called a special interest group.

After much work and at great expense and physical effort, Pine Belt Sportsman's Club is collecting and preparing shot for resale. The shot is ready for the loading bench. The club is located in South Jersey. Shot must be picked up on Wednesday's 10:00 am to 10:00 pm or the 1st or 3ed Sunday.

If you are interested in purchasing re-claimed shot call the club 609-268-0237.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Whether fired shot belongs to he shooter or the club is an interesting question. So I got a legal opinion from a lawyer. He said that in court the judge would base his opinion on what was in the mind of the shooter at the time the lead was deposited on club property. If the shooter expected to recover the lead at some time in the future then the lead would still beelong to the shooter and not the club. A good example would be an archer. After shooting his arrows at a target he would expect to retreive them keep them to use again in the future. The arrows would not belong to the club. HMB

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Well now let's look at this. If you shoot 100 targets and assuming 1 oz loads you would be depositing about 44,000 pellets on club property. Unless you are willing to go out and pick up those pellets once the shooting stops I would guess they have become club property.

I know I'm not rooting through poison ivy, brambles, brush and other nasty stuff to pick up my pellets. The club can have them and if they make some money reclaiming them then I'll consider it my contribution to the club.

Jerry

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That's fine Jerry. But at some clubs the shot is just like a carpet out in the drop zone. Very easy to recover and reuse. HMB

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

HMB, no argument and I wish that was our situation but the reality is that many clubs have posted that "any shell that hits the ground belongs to us."

I'm guessing, but I think that any club, where individual lead reclamation became a problem, might post a similar sign that relates to shot. Most clubs also state that they have the right to expel anyone who they deem expellable for what ever reason.

You see where I'm going with this?

Jerry

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Jerry ... your going somewhere?

18. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

When I win the lottery after buying a couple of New P & K & L guns,I'm going into the reclamation business. Now some of the big clubs are doing it but soon our governments and the tree huggers are going to force every club on the planet to reclaim their old shot. I do not believe that there are enough rigs out there to do them all. I think I could make several million more by selling lead just to
    reloaders

19. mooner

mooner TS Member

What companies on the East Coast provide lead reclamation? I may want to look into this for our club

Thx

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

There are two people who come to mind. One is Gene Sears out of Ok and the other is AR Hulegaard, Inc. (612/910-2615)

Sears uses a dry process and Hulegaard uses a wet system. If your shot fall zone is completely dry then Sears is the guy to use. Have any wet spots then call Hulegaard. Our club has used both and our best results was with Hulegaard but we have a major wet area.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.