1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elysburg Keystone Shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PA puller, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PA puller

PA puller TS Member

How was the attendance for the Keystone shoot? Was attendance down because of gas prices?

2. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

Friday was the first day of the shoot and it rained. The attendance was down. Saturday the second day of the shoot there were 144 squads in singles and around 100 squads of handicap. It started raining again at the end of the handicap so i went home. Did not shoot the doubles and don't know how many squads were signed up for it. I'm sure the cost of gasoline and other high prices connected with shooting had it's effect on the shoot. I'll be going back out for the State Shoot in June.
    Carl

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Normally -- I would have attended and shot the entire 3 days and all events. Sadly -- the cost of fuel, food and shooting (itself) caused me to elect working on Friday & Saturday. I went up there on Saturday evening, with plans of shooting the 200 singles and 100 hdcp. on Sunday.

We woke to another day of RAIN on Sunday morning. Still planning on shooting, I drew positions for both events, but cashiered for just the first event (200 singles). I would later regret that decision, as it DID get nice by the time the handicap got under way.

I watched the television broadcast of squad numbers shooting, and "on the ready" from my camper. When I felt it was time to make my way to the bank I was shooting on, I proceeded to discover nothing less than a "ghost town" on the lower banks.

The squad before mine was but ONE shooter. My squad ended up being ONE shooter....me. Both that poor soul and I shot the entire 200 targets by ourselves, AND in the rain. Looking both left and right of my shooting bank, I saw no more than THREE shooters on any one squad.

While I cannot speak for the tournament as a whole, if what I saw was ANY indication of the overall attendance, I would be very surprised if they came (even) close to last year's numbers. The poor weather (cold, wind & rain) most certainly played a part in shooter decline, but I would be merely speculating which cost the P.S.S.A. more...........cost of shooting or bad weather.

4. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

Weather played a major factor in the shoot attendance this year. The camp grounds looked full, but most didn't want to brave 50 degree temps and steady rain all fri and early Sunday. You can throw in all the economic factors as well I'm sure, but Sat was only off about 10% and weather probably caused some of that as well. Hopefully it will warm up here in the East by June for the State Shoot and hope to see you all there!

Jeff Graupp

5. JEB

JEB Active Member

I think that weather was the big factor. It rained hard on Friday, non stop, and it was quite cool. Many of the folks on the campgrounds were too smart to venture out. I wasn't one of them. Sat started nice, but it ended up raining again early afternoon. Still cool. Sunday it rained for the 200 singles, not as hard as Friday, but hard enough. By the time of the handicap, it turned nice, but by then most people had had it, my wife and I included. Maybe gas prices hurt, but weather was the killer.

Incidentally hats off to the kids who worked the shoot. A few showed up in flip flops and shorts, it's nice to be young. They earned every penny and then some.

JEB

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wind and rain. Couldn't keep a hat on, but it was fun anyway. Even with a flat on my camper.

To all who camp there, the Tire Ranch (across from Knoebel's) went beyond their call of duty and opened up on Sunday evening to put a new tire on my camper rim, so that I could get back home. They have my gratitude, and hopefully everyone who attends Elysburg will remember them when it comes to their tire needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.