1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elysburg Hotels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I need to find a hotel for the Keyston Open in May. The Days Inn in Danville is out of the question after my horrendous experience last year. Ideally I'm looking for a place that has clean rooms, relatively close (within 30 mins ideally) and it would be awesome if the hotel had a bar. Under $60/night would be great too!

Any recommendations?

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

What happened at the Days Inn?

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"What happened at the Days Inn?"

Let's see where should I begin.

First thing I noticed when walking into the room is that it's dirty and outdated and half the electrical outlets don't work. After finally finding an outlet that does work I go to log onto the internet via my laptop and find out that their wireless internet doesn't work in my room so I'm forced to go out to the lobby to use the internet every hour. The TV was terrible too, I think there were like 6 channels, 4 of them news stations and 2 of them shop at home type channels.

The key cards to get into my room only worked for 3-4 swipes, so everyday I was having to go back to the front desk to get a new card that worked.

They had a night club in the hotel, I found out after getting there, that it was open til 2am or so Fri and Saturday. The music was crazy loud and prevented me from getting sleep until 2am both nights (I need my beauty sleep). It was also the worst example of a night club I've ever seen. The drinks were over priced and I honestly believe they watered all of their liquor down.

I think there were only 2-3 rooms being stayed in by guests. When you pull into a hotel and it looks like a ghost town I guess this is a sign that you shouldn't stay there. Too bad for me, we had already paid for the room.

On the last day before we checked out the health inspector showed up for a surprise visit and was not very happy that this hotel had their pool open. Apparently they had orders from the health dept. that the pool was to remain closed until further notice. When the health inspector arrived there was a family using the pool so this obviously didn't go over well with the inspector. This made me question what else wasn't up to code that we didn't know about.

There were a few other things that really turned me off on the hotel but I can't remember all of the small things. The examples above are those that I clearly remember.

Lesson learned: DON'T STAY AT THE DAYS INN IN DANVILLE, PA.

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I booked the Red Roof Inn in Danville for the State Shoot. Never been there before. Why don't you give them a try then I'll know what it's like. I've been in some real dumps over the years and always survived. Going to have the wife along for Elysburg and she doesn"t take kindly to living in a 3rd class motel. I think Red Roof might not be a 4star since the rate is only $59 per night. It is the closest motel to the gun club, I think. I don't need much excepts clean.
    George from Minnesota

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The Red Roof is pretty much of a dump...but for $60 a night, it'll work.

There are many other nicer motels in the area (Sunbury, Selinsgrove, Shamokin Dam, etc), but you'll pay a little more.

Curt

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The Red Roof is definitely a dump, I could tell just from driving by. I think it might be worse than the Days Inn.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Rich,

Call the Super 8 in Mifflinville, PA. It's a 19-mile drive to Elysburg coming the back way below Rt. 80. Very nice people.

Jon Reitz

8. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Try the Patriot Inn US Rt. 11 approx. 19 miles from the shoot , great people clean rooms. Lots of places to eat on 11. I think it is under $60.00 a night.Phone no. 570 387-1776 for reservations toll free 1-800-873-1180

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I drove to Ely 2 years ago to check out the vendors at the Keystone Open....that's rural country....small town flavor....I wouldn't expect much in the way of "luxurious" accomodations in that area....Wilkes-Barre would be the closest population center having "luxurious" accomodations that didn't involve stained sheets with bodily fluid and carpet/furniture in need of replacement 20 years ago LOL

10. santa fe 2343

santa fe 2343 Member

Call the Pine Barn Inn, owned by Geisinger Medical center Phone # 570-275- 2071. It's located in Danville Pa. about 8 mille's from the shoot. Clean and quiet restaurant, bar.

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

How long does it take to get from the Super 8 in Mifflinville to the fields in Elysburg?

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Approx. 25 miles.

Curt

13. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Curt....heard the first time

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I really like Elysburg and I'm going to try to make both shoots.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The Pine Barn is the very best but a bit pricey. You can skip Elysburg and attend the Empire Grand then hope it doesn't rain. If so, bring your waders!!

16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Why skip Elysburg? Am I missing something?

17. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Id take Elysburg over Cicero anytime!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Elysburg beats Swampero anytime!!

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

oleolliedawg,

Hey ,good timinn.!!!!!!!

Sandy Holehouse.

20. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

The Hampton Inn in Danville is very nice and cheaper than the Pine Barn. Although the Pine Barn is a good place for dinner, though nothing beats BJ's steakhouse for a great cut of Angus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.