1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elysburg Doubles targets a Joke !

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by aaastalker, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaastalker

aaastalker TS Member

I was unfortunate enough to have shot the doubles on FRiday at Elysburg.
    These were probaby the worst Doubles targets that I have ever seen. The targets were barely making it out of the house before they fell out.

Come on guys this is the Pa. State Championship. We should be seeing the cream of the crop when it comes to targets .

I know their were plenty of dissappointed shooters whom shot this event. Many whom would never complain about a target set, but did.

The veteran shooters will always break decent scores no matter what the conditions are.

However, the sport will soon be dead without the influx of new shooters to our sport. And the kind of conditions that were present this day will not enhance anyones time on the range.

I encourage anyone whom has expeirenced their dissapointment at Elysburg to bring the matter up to the management at Elysburg, or as one of the Greats of trapshooting has told his students " Let your Feet do the Talking ".

I wonder why Ohio is the only shoot in the country that has had a 20 percent increase in attendence, and shoots like Elysburg seem to suffer.

I really question if the situation at Elysburg is a matter of equipment neglect
    or the New way the ATA has allowed the targets to be set without the use of the Tees and the fifty yard stakes.

I watched the targets being reset for doubles before the competition.

I did'nt see any of the usual equipment,or the fact that the radar guns were not being utilized.

This event was a great dissapointment for me and many other shooters that I encountered when leaving the line this day.

Elysburg ?

Great staff of volunteers

Great venue, one of the biggest shoots in the country, really well run and organized.

What Happened ??? Was'nt weather conditions....

AAA

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

did you ask to have the targets reset??? if they look that bad have them reset!

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It easier to come on here and blame the ATA and whine. Call for a frickin reset.

Don

4. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I shot on squad seven leadoff which I dont like but wanted an early squad to I could leave early. I shot my worst doubles score of the year but this morning I blamed the guy in the mirror. If good scores were shot and mine wasnt, I have only myself to blame and resolve to do better next time. Ed Nichols

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Targets in general were soft. It took me two days to learn to slow my swing so I wasn't blowing past targets.

Generally speaking, doubles targets at Elysburg are terrific. The problem on Friday was an uncharacteristic breakdown in management. The Krieghoff Handicap Championship ran way longer than expected, because management added some late squads, and there were stragglers.

I was on the first flight of doubles. I showed up when I was supposed to, but Doubles were delayed by 2 hours. So I watched the whole thing unfold. The target setters started at the ends and converted each trap sequentially. The targets were good, as usual. However, they decided not to "set" the targets within two traps of those still shooting handicap. They converted the traps, but didn't throw targets to adjust. Then everyone disappeared for an hour.

Finally they called the first 24 squads of Doubles shooters to the ready; then to the line. Since not everyone was reporting ready (two of the "gents" were busy bothering the scorers) they told everyone to hold up. Several of the traps at 7, 6 and around 4 had not been converted. So we milled around the firing line while a bevy of golf carts checked each house VISUALLY. They just drove past and if the machine was set to doubles, they moved on. I must say it was comical watching all those carts zipping around like a demolition derby.

The net result was wildly different presentations. The traps that had been converted but not set remained as they were. One of those traps was 8A, the trap I shot on. The targets were illegally low. 8B, C, D were just fine. 8A was only half as high. Two of the guys on my squad flagged one of the trappers and asked for a reset. They were emphatically told no. So we shot them as they were. The two who had asked for a reset were really aggravated. Two others were just annoyed.

When we moved to 8B, the targets were legal and good. We had a tail wind which pushed the targets lower during gusts, but they remained quite hittable. Even so, the same people complained.

I heard lots of other complaints as well. Several said the targets were illegally wide. Nonsense. I watched them being set on Thursday and Friday, and they were perfect. Not a single one of the traps I shot on were off by an smidge. In fact I had marveled at how precisely they were set, and wondered why we couldn't seem to get out Pat trap at home to do the same. There were other complaints, but I really think they had more to do with everyone being annoyed about being delayed 2 hours than any real "defect".

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why did you shoot illeagal targets? HMB

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Because the request for a reset was denied. I didn't care much, but I did wonder how one would press the issue. They had recently removed the stakes and the 50 yard markers, and the T-bar and radar gun were noticeably absent. So I did wonder how one would protest a ruling of "it looks alright to me" if there are no other references to go by.

BTW, I did see an angle finder, but if it was used on 8A and some others, the setter should put his reading glasses on while using.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

You guys should have been there 30 years ago when the "good ole boys" ran the show. LOL...The reset the doubles alright. Every time they moved to the next trap they reset them, the way THEY wanted. Seen it all!

AJ100

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

You paid good money for targets you should get good targets. I have not seen consistent doubles at Elysburg since they switched to GMV's. Hold your gun in the same spot every time and 3 out of 4 times you will bw in the wrong place. JRM

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The doubles must not have been too bad, a d class shooter broke a 99

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

..Bill's answer is the correct approach to the situation. "Their not right, make them right! Your money is the same color as the "Big Dogs" expect the same treatment for your buck. When you cause a delay due to the target setting, you get attention or you pull your entry & remind them why! They can't afford to make too many angry!

Big Jack

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

"The doubles must not have been too bad, a d class shooter broke a 99"

Good comeback.
    IT EVERYONE SHOT ON THE SAME FOUR TRAPS!

13. BullDogUSMC

BullDogUSMC TS Member

AAAstalker, what a wussy (or whatever might rhyme with that). Let me guess, you are probably the kind of dude that whines to everyone that it's all his girlfriend's fault when you break up, too. Do you ever admit that the problem just might be you?

14. acre44

acre44 Member

Do you really think that Elysburg was down because the doubles targets were not right? Please buy a clue with that comparison. ALL shoots are down due to a number of things, but mainly the ECONOMY, not the doubles targets. Maybe every time you shoot they should adjust the trap to your liking. Maybe they should slow the targets down a little for you, he11 why don't you just name the score you want. Next you will want a wind measurement and if it is over a certain speed you will want to shoot again if you miss. Get some cheese to go with the wine and go shoot in Ohio.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

There's no excuse for poorly set targets with a radar gun or chronograph. Those clubs that care enuf' to set good targets will prosper.........the clubs that don't give a damn won't survive. I just drove back home this morning from an ATA shoot without even entering when I discovered one of the traps was set at 39 mph for singles & the club president and the sec-treas insisted they leave it that way............They'd set it to drop 'em on the "50 yard" stake, which is down in a ravine about fifteen feet below the level of the trap.

John C. Saubak

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If everybody shot the same targets...and your score stunk, pull your thumb out of your mouth and suck it up...buy some ammo and practice...I practice at clubs that throw the hairiest targets along with alot of sporting clays so nothing gets me off my game except ME
    [​IMG]

Waaaaahhhhh!!!

17. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

"If everybody shot the same targets"

Is that a question?

How do they run all those squads thru the same four traps? That is the ONLY way they are shooting the same targets. DUH!

AJ100

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Calvin, Thanks for the pic. I always wondered what Tron looked like as a teenager. LOL!

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Can anyone please explain to me what the lack of a 50 yard stake has to do with setting Doubles targets!!

20. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I must have shot on one of the good pair of traps because I shot my best score ever on doubles, a 96. I am a C class shooter and was very happy with my score.

Sorry some of you guys had bad targets.

Dr. Honk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.