1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ely, NV Trap Range- Any Interest?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winterismyseason, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterismyseason

winterismyseason TS Member

Hi All,
    I'm working to get a weekly group together shooting at the Steptoe Trab Club in Ely Nevada. We're currently shooting Wednesday nights (4-6) every week.

In March, we'd would like to start a monthly shoot the second or third weekend of the month. Singles, Handicap, and then some games. We're pretty flexible and are open to any suggestions. We like having fun just as much as the next guy.

I wanted to see if there was any interest from the guys on Trapshooters in the surrounding area to come shoot with us. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you some information.

Thanks!

Chase S. -Winterismyseason

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ely, what a neat place. Was there last August right in time for the annual car show at the townsquare's park. In fact, I'm wearing a T-Shirt from that event as I write this. Great breakfast at one place where I had to wait a long time...well worth it.

The KOA was complete, neat, clean, and reasonable. I hope to visit again and take in the historical train ride, etc.

I do miss Ms. Pavlakis (sp?) the baker there, from years ago. Any "Elyian" remember her? No, I'm not from the CC of Ely, but home base is Los Angeles. But knowing one can shoot trap in Ely makes it sound all the better!!!

Tell us more please; also want to go to Ely with/travel trailer and visit the national park to the east.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Check your PM

4. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

I would love to shoot in Ely one weekend a month, let me know when and where.

Matt

5. winterismyseason

Zardozforty,
    The club is located north of town just off of Rt. 490. Directions to the club are in the link attached to this post. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Chase

6. winterismyseason

Matt,
    When we get some dates set up I'll let you know! Where are you located? What kind of shooting do you like to do? (Straight targets, games, etc.)

Chango,
    The trap club isn't anything fancy. We've got two traps, one with light. A smaller heated trailer for a clubhouse. Most of the guys shooting right now are new to trap and it's exciting to see them break their first 10 or 15 in a row. We should have a youth program starting up soon as well.

Ely probably hasn't changed much since you last visited. Great Basin National park is definitely worth visiting. The Lehman Caves are very impressive. Let us know if you're stopping by. We'd love to shoot with you!

Chase

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Chas, are you talking shooting ATA monthly registered targets or just shooting practice targets?

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Yeah, that's it, Great Basin National Park. What's the best season to visit?

I do wish Wendover Nevada/Utah had a shooting range, btw!!!

Chase, do you remember Mrs. Pavlakis, the baker? Quite a wonderful character and baker.

9. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

ATA targets would be nice. I live in Logandale NV you could expect 5 to 10 shooters from the Vegas area for ATA targets on a weekend shoot.

10. winterismyseason

I appreciate the interest! I was expecting this thread to hit the bottom before the end of yesterday.

Right now, my goal with the club is just to get some shooters out and shooting. I've been in town now for about a year and a half. I've heard that the club hasn't been regularly used for around 5 years. I don't think we're quite ready for a registered shoot. If things go well, I'm thinking we may be able to have one in the fall and see how it goes.

Speaking of registered shoots, what's with Vegas having most of their registered shoots on Thursday? Another guy from Ely and myself made it to 4 or 5 of them last year. My guess is that Sunday always gets windy. I don't know if I can make the shoots if they're during the week. I save up a bit of vacation to shoot the Cardinal Classic in Ohio with my dad.

Chango,
    Like I said, I've only been in town for a year and a half. The name does ring a bell though. I'm guessing there was a bakery? The only bakeries now are in the two grocery stores.

Chase

11. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Chase,

You may want to contact the Mason Valley Trap & Skeet in Yerington. They have a tremendously successful "club shoot" schedule. No registered and I think it's one Sunday per month. Variety of formats.

Good luck

Ron Wilson

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Chase, the Clark Cunty Shooting Complex is just offering the opportunity for a shooter to come out on Thursday and shoot some registered ATA Targets. This does not take the place of the monthly weekend shoots. You can go to the Clark County website or nevadatrapshoot.com (State Site) and it shows the Thursday program.

13. Lumpytrapshooter

Lumpytrapshooter TS Member

Shot there last night had fun, Chase has a good thing started here.

14. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

Chase

Way to go you got things rolling.

I would love to come out and shoot with you but as you know I live in michigan and its a long drive.

Its great to hear from you and know your still shooting.

your game buddy hook

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm away from homebase until about the 20th. I will try and remember to post a picture of the lady baker of Ely; she was featured in a book I have about the west. I'll try and scan.

To any and all that visit "our" big west, may I recommend taking hwy 50 from Ely west into California. The Nation's lonliest hwy!!! Really big country.

My homebase is Los Angeles, but...I consider the basin states as all part of "our/my" west.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I had the great pleasure of living out in Nevada for a couple of years - 1981 and 82. I loved the state. Ely was one of those places I visited that I made a mental note of - it might be a nice place to retire to.

30 years later I wonder how it is? Every place changes, and most not for the better. Has it became LAized (illegals, graffiti, gangs). Just wondering?

Mining still the main occupation?

Never look back.

17. winterismyseason

Ron,
    Thanks for the suggestion. We have a guy in town originally from Yerington. He's got some great ideas for shoots that he is borrowing from that club. The next step is to get him to actually make it out to the club!

Hook!
    Good to hear from you. I hope you're staying warm and dry back in Michigan.

Bisi,
    Ely has definitely not become "LA"ized. The kids that go to school here cause most of the mischief just like most country towns. No real harm done, and definitely not like any larger city. Mining is still the main occupation. That's what brought me out here. It looks like it'll continue to be here for years to come.

Chase

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Car show in town square every August; took in the show last August. Pulled in street machines/street rods from around rural Nevada. Was on my way to take in Speed Weeks at Wendover/Bonneville.

What is the name of "that" resturant that's so popular, had to wait and wait..sorta near hwy going north out of town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

steptoe trap club ely nevada