1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elk Tag For Auction

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tbuster, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbuster

tbuster Member

On November 5, 2010, the Gillette Gun Club in Gillette, Wy. will have what is called a Commissioners Elk Tag for auction at there annual benefit banquet. This permit will be for the 2011 year. We will have a reserve bid for the tag and the tag is good for any open area in the state of Wyomings 2011 elk season. These permits usually bring a price of from $7000 on up. If you would be interested in being involved in the bid process, please email me at harvfridley@hotmail.com

2. tbuster

tbuster Member

3. tbuster

tbuster Member

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

tbuster, I'm sure that info is important to quite a few of our readers. But I have to say, it will be a cold day in that ole bad place when I would pay that much money for a chance at one of the Kings elk. I still remember my history and it reminds me of when all the game animals on the island belonged to the King of England. I thought we shed that crap, I'm wrong.

5. ASEinAZ

ASEinAZ TS Member

siverbullet,

It's just one or two tags that are auctioned to raise money for some worthy cause. In Arizona the money goes for habitat improvement, etc. The vast majority of tags are available to anyone for the normal prices.

$7000 is pretty cheap for a Governor's tag. They go for waaay more than that in AZ.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I stand corrected if it's for a good cause.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good cause or not, the Governor's tags are an opportunity for some to get that hunt of a lifetime that they may not otherwise get. I saw a show about a guy in his late 50's that was still in good physical shape and he decided to pay $55K for a govenor's sheep tag with the rationale being that he wanted to have the experience while he could still physically enjoy it as opposed to waiting another 10(+) years to draw a tag. $7K is a pretty fair price for what is being auctioned when you consider a 1x1 guide for such a hunt will probably cost another $7k. Landowner Elk tags usually go for $10K+ here in NV. No this isn't something the average Joe would be able to do.

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

$20K for a trophy Bull elk on Tejon Ranch in CA, $10K for a "management bull" $20K to shoot a Yukon Moose with Jim Shockey. Guided hunts for Elk in CO are around $7000.

The difference here is that the less expensive the hunt the more you physically have to do. Right down to doit your self where you do everything.

I was offered an Elk Hunt out of Gunnison CO this year with a group of levergun guys from back east. You parked you car in Gunnison, and then there was a full day horse back ride with all of your stuff packed on a horse to the base camp. Then you hunted for 3-4 days everybody in different areas and after 3-4 days you packed back out. tags filled or not. $3500. Tags over the counter at Gunnison Hardware. This was going to be a good trip.

I will go next year.

$7000 for a hunt like offered is not a bad deal by any means. I can't afford it but it is still a good deal. A new Rolls Royce for $100K is a good deal, I can't afford it but it is still a good deal.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.