1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elk snack sticks recipe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sunnyfrogk, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunnyfrogk

sunnyfrogk TS Member

I went elk hunting for the first time this weekend and bagged my first cow. We decided to try our hand at making homemade jerky, snack sticks, and sausage. I can find lots of recipes for jerky, but not so much for the snack sticks and sausage. Thought you wonderful people would have some great recipes and advice for a first timer.

Kim

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Kim,

For GOD's SAKE!

Using elk meat for jerky and snack sticks is like cutting up tenderloin and using it in stroganoff!

Save the jerky and snack sticks for whitetail venison.

Ust the elk meat like it was your best beef.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW,

Congrats on bagging the cow elk!

4. sunnyfrogk

sunnyfrogk TS Member

Thanks for the concern, but here in Colorado, it is pretty easy to get at least one elk every year. As much as I love elk, the steaks and ground meat can get a bit old when eating all year long. We can easily spare some ground meat for some delicious jerky, etc. plus it is one of the healthiest snacks around and can be taken with us when hiking, fishing, snowboarding, etc.

Thanks for the props one my first kill, though.

Kim

5. DJM

DJM Member

This is a good recipe, I have made several hundred pounds of it for myself and friends. I have used it for deer, beef, and bison meat. I'm sure it would be great for elk as well. It's from the sausagemaker.com. He has a book on sausage making that is very good on the "know how" and the recipes that I have tried are all good.
    10 lbs meat, 2 tsp instant cure #1, 4 tbs paprika, 1/3 cup mustard, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp ground celery, 1 tbs mace, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 5 tbs salt, 4 1/2 tbs powdered dextrose, 1 1/2 cup Fermento.
    Option-Add 1 tsp cayenne pepper. All spices are used ground except as noted.
    Grind chilled meat through a 3/16" plate, add seasonings and mix well. Stuff into 19-24mm sheep casings (hot dog size). Hang in a smoke house at 100-110 deg. with smoke for 8 hours. For more tang hold at temperature for another 12 hours. Raise the smokehouse temperature until the meat is 145. deg. I usually raise the temp. to 155 deg in 10 deg. increments and hold at the 155 for several hours.

Fermento is his proprietary lactic acid starter culture. Lactic acid gives dry sausages that familiar sour taste found in thuringer. Other lactic acid starter culters are available. You can buy any of this at the web site. Mace is very expensive, nutmeg can be substituted. I have used the collagin casings but do not like them. I like to stuff 36" long sticks. I fold them in half and hang them over 1/2 dowel rods in the smoke house. When they are done I cut them into four 9" pieces that just fit into a 1 gallon zip lock bag. But this depends on your smoke house size. IMO deer and elk are too lean by them selves. I use 8 lbs deer and 2 lbs fatty beef trimmings or 7 lbs deer and 3 lbs of the cheap ground beef. Do not use pork unless you bring the meat temp. to 155 deg. Don Miller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
elk meat stick recipes

elk pepper stick recipe

elk sausage stick recipe
elk snack stick recipe
elk snack stick recipes
elk snack sticks recipe
elk stick recipes
homemade snack stick forums