Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliminate Shootoffs ???

4K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  BIGDON 
G
#1 ·
Is it time for our sport to switch to a more time and dollar efficient method of settling tie scores?
Are trap shooting weekends long enough without tacking on extra hours at the end of each day for shootoffs? Are clubs interested in eliminating the cost of shootoff targets?
We see a number of "wins" settled by "forfeit" or " flip"....does this mean that shooters have little desire to remain at the shoot location for hours after they have finished their events for the day ?
Why not settle ties based on the total targets in the program?
For example, ties in the 200 singles championship event would be settled by high scores on the whole 400 championship targets.( 200 singles+ 100 doubles + 100 caps )
Ties in any preliminary day events would be settled by high scores on the whole 300 preliminary day targets.(100 singles + 100 doubles + 100 caps )
What do trapshooters. com readers think?
Pete Giddings-Canada

#5 ·
With the rising cost of lead I'm sure people would like to have a more inexpensive way to determine the winner. This winter I gave into the other shooters wish to flip for the winner. Although I would have preferred a shoot off the flip was a 50/50 chance. I felt my odds of winning were greater with a shoot off. I lost the flip. I finally obtained my first shoot off recently. There is no other feeling like a head to head competition and knowing the outcome rest totally in your hands. Talk about pressure. Hopefully you don't run out of shells like my brother did recently. He had to go an additional 125 targets to win his championship. Would you think it is fair to you to lose a championship because you might not shoot doubles as well as your opponent?

Dale

#6 ·
I don't think much of a club that won't hold shoot-offs to determine a winner. There is one club in our area that only shoots-off the handicap ties, everything else is reverse long-run. Reverse score is inherently unfair, in that it doesn't take into consideration which post you are shooting from. And I've heard the argument that it doesn't make a difference, but if it didn't then we wouldn't change posts after 5 or 10 shots, we'd all just stand on one post and shoot all 100 targets. Plus, I don't understand who determined that someone who misses early in the round is more of a winner than someone who misses later in the round?

I think it says a lot about a club that is willing to hold a competition but isn't willing to determine a winner.

Scott

#7 ·
Sometimes I see little use for a shootoff. Shooting $12 worth of ammo during the hottest part of the day to win a $10 dancing bear and bragging rights just doesn't appeal to me. Flip a coin and lets go home.
I can see the need in bigger shoots with better prizes, but for the small shoots it's just not worth it for me.

#11 ·
I like to carry over singles and doubles shoot offs in a multi-day shoot. I will also agree to carry over handicap shoot offs if everyone agrees. In a one day shoot, coin flips are my favorite. It is my personal preference to save both the time and the shells required for shoot offs. I realize that others do not share my opinion. I have won and lost enough shoot offs and they have little appeal to me.

Hint- If you and I happen to tie in one event and I suggest a coin flip, say no and exercise your right to a shoot off. I very probably will forfeit and be sitting in a nice restaurant when my name is called at the club.

Pat Ireland

#13 ·
I just came back from the Western Zone Shoot in Casper, Wyoming, where I had to forfeit a doubles event to get on the road to get home (work) and also pass on the HAA shoot off. I didn't like it but that is the cards I've been dealt when I chose to travel. Maybe if I would have shot one target better on the doubles then all of my troubles would have been over.

I am all for shooting off when I can. The HAA champ said it well when he told me that he wasn't there to flip coins but rather to break targets. No hard feelings (since I feel the same way when I don't have a multi-hour drive ahead of me).

As far as club profit, well clubs should have known that shoot offs are a part of the business and be ready for that eventuality. Besides, I thought that the ATA had some rules governing shoot offs which would serve as well, a rule to govern what happens.

I don't care if I'm shooting off for the dancing bear or something more substantial, let me get my shells and gun and may the best man win.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

#14 ·
Shorten the shoot-offs! On singles and handicap, everyone has to shoot from the 27 yard line starting at post one - then miss and out. Move to post 2 - miss and out, etc. Should shorten the elimination pretty quickly with the best shooter surviving. Why not? Best Regards, Ed

#19 ·
If I ever get to that point, I won't shoot at a club that settles a tie by a coin flip. The one and only day I won, it was in a shoot off. If I win, I want it to actually win, and if I lose I want it to be because I got beat and not because somebody said "heads". That's not winning that's just the luck of the draw. I saw a friend lose a VERY important win on a coin flip and I'm pretty sure I won't be shooting at that shoot next year.

#20 ·
no shooting from the 27 for singles,,,I dont own a choke for that as I dont shoot from there,,,,I have won and lost coin flips and liked neither,,,,I have never lost a shooting, shoot off,,,and have won a few on forfit,,I have lost a few ties on reverse long run and did not think much of that,,,,,,I am there to shoot,,,,and whats better than free targets,,,unless you get free shells to,,,,like I said I am there to shoot

#26 ·
Load one trap with Midi's and shoot a normal round from the 23. For those who are not up to speed. Midi's are used in ....dare I say it, Sporting clays. Diameter: 90 millimeters.

Here is a pic of all the clay targets used in all the sports. The midi in the smallest on the top in this pic.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a>

It would be fun to watch those of you who never shot at a small midi before.

Jerbear

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.