1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEVEN AND HALF HOURS AT SPARTA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLACKDOG, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

It seem's as if Sparta is doomed to me, I was there eleven and a half hours to shoot 300 hundred targets, went to club house to get classifed, NOW there is some type of a eating place there. Had to search for classifing, found it at end of the vendor row, never been there before. Took me 20 minutes to classify, ONLY had four people in front of me. The lady that squaded the two of us, held my card tapped herself on the chin when it must have been 30 times, after talking with every other person finaly got me a position. I had a hamburger, fries and a bottle of water $ 10.95, got a PEPSI later 6 oz. $ 1.00. It is a beautiful place, the state of Ill. has spent millions on it, left ONE ONE THING OUT. Some one to run the place, seems like a shame to, all the potential for something great, and to have this. I have been there FOUR times, with the exception of the Grand it was a THREE RING CIRCUS, I WILL NOT BE BACK.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Levi -

Neil had posted earlier in the week prior to the US Open that registration had been moved to the first vendor building. They also had large signs that said "REGISTRATION" at both ends of the vendor building to direct people to that location.

FYI, there's always been a restaurant (eating place) in the events center.

Where did you get the hamburger, fries, and water for $10.95. From the restaurant in the events center or from one of the vendors at the shoot? I'm sure you are aware that neither the ATA nor the IDNR have any right to dictate prices that independent vendors charge for their products and services. It's not much different than the gun vendors or shell vendors located at the WSRC - they set their prices and supply and demand determines how successful they are.

By the way, I had lunch twice in the vendor area in front of the banks being used for the shoot and paid $4 for a hamburger and $4 for a pork sandwich and chips. Drinks were an extra $1.

Phil Murray from White Flyer has already started a thread about the US Open and the lessons they learned hosting their first shoot. I was there for four days and agree that it could have been run more efficiently - however I'm glad I had someplace to go for four days instead of sitting at home wishing that someone would hold a shoot.

Scott

3. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

While it took a long time to shoot some of the events because of the limited number of traps, it was still a good shoot. They need to open more traps to speed things up. The effort by all the sponsors to make this shoot happen is greatly appreciated and will make it an annual classic in the future.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was Sparta. The new Sparta is on a learning curve and if you don't have the patience or intelligence to understand that and participate in the process, don't go. If you do go and don't enjoy it, don't go back until the operational bugs have been worked out.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is no business that does not require time to grow into itself and the WSC obviously is no different no matter who is running the shoots ... The bigger the facility the longer and harder it will be to pull it all together because it increases the unforseen issues that can happen such as labor, supplies, and anything else that comes into the equasion of running the facility ... Its a plain and simple fact that everyone wants everything just right and when they don't get it, they have a tendancy and reason to avoid going there in the future ... Its the preverbial "Nature of The Beast" so to speak and is to be expected and accepted as such by those involved with the operation of such a facility ... Having been there and done that, "You just cannot please everyone and that will never change" I know because I tried ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

SOUR GRAPES MY FRIEND, SOUR GRAPES!!! WAH!! WAH!!! Me and my group would hav been more than happy to experince what you went through at Sparta. The trouble is we live in Maryland and that is too far away for just a few days of shooting.

We will be there for the entire Grand Week as we always have gone to the Grand, but cannot go to Sparta for the other shoots due to time and travel restictions.

So just consider yourself fortunate enough to have gone and shut your piehole and stop the negative commentary. And if you don't like being called down by an East Coaster, "Tuff Turnips!!!"

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Levi -

I'm still interested to know where you got that $11 burger and fries.

I wasn't implying the you had to check trapshooters.com for US Open updates, I was merely pointing out the information was made available here. Since you post on this site it didn't seem too much of a stretch that you might have seen it here. It's only about 50 yards from the event center to the first vendor building, so I'm not quite sure how the shift in location of the registration desk was such a big problem.

There's quite a difference between running the state shoot and putting on an event for the first time. I bet Larry could tell you with a very small margin of error how many people are going to show up at the state shoot each day. This isn't the first shoot I attended where attendance was above what was expected, resulting in events running longer than expected. I suspect it won't be the last.

Jerry - shooting actually started at 9 am each day and finished around dark (8'ish). I suppose if you were first out on the first event and last out on the last event it could have been 11 hours. They were long days, no doubt about it. It has been well documented by those involved.

Scott

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Devils Advocate,

No on the head butts and internal adjustments, but have been involved with guns clubs and running my own business and like every other business the WSC is a business and has to be afforded the time to mature and grow ... It may never grow into what people want it to be or may far exceed that, you just never know, you know ..? Now, that its built and has become reality nobody knows for sure what the WSC can and will be until its matured and passed the test of time ... Hope for the best and settle for less if thats all it can produce as a business ... The State is looking at the WSC as urban development and everyone else is looking at it as something to fill their need based on desire ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

levi,

I had the same problem registering. However it was at the Missouri Summer Handicap last summer, and I wouldn't want to guess how long they have been working on running that shoot. Will I go back? Heck yes, that sort of thing happens everywhere sometimes. If I think about it long enough, I bet I've got a story about every place I've ever shot. Bet you do too.

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I'm sorry to say, you guys are right, but wasting your breath. This puke is either fishing or is a Jerk with a capital J.

Buz

11. Ill. Rich

Ill. Rich TS Member

hey Levi,There is a restaurant in the Events center Building about maybe 50 yards from the building where the signs said "Registration". It's called "Heartland Range".

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Levi; The more you talk the more I don't think you were there. The restaurant and bar were both open all shoot, located in the main bldg. I had lunch there and the cheeseburger and fries were the special for $5.95. If you couldn't see the big red signs saying "SHOOTERS" and registration then you don't need to be shooting because you surely couldn't see little targets. Your bitch about registration doesn't hold water either. Delays resulted because people were squading for the whole event. I was also at the ILL state shoot last year and I could find fault with that shoot if I choose to but I don't.

Whiners whine and shooters shoot. Guess what you are.

Don

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Not only that, Big Don, did anyone else have "a lady" squadding them? I just went over to the kiosk on the left, scrolled down through the squads 'til I found a green one (One with an open spot) and plopped my butt right down on it. Were there ladies doing the squadding in the way Levi describes?

Neil

15. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Let the good time roll. Its almost a year old and they still have all the bugs. HA HA HA HA

16. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

levi391

Sounds to me like you don't have any friends, since you had nothing to do but wait around for 11 hours to shoot all day. With the attitude you are giving people on this thread, is it any wonder.

Why don't you go sit in the corner and eat a little piece of humble pie instead of attacking good shooters like Dave Schaeffer Sr. If you're a good boy and you pay attention, maybe you'll learn how to get around at the big shoots.

Just my not so humble .02

Luvn

17. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Many thanks to all of you that have commented on the US Open this past weekend. I personally think that all involved (IDNR-Southern Promotions and ATA) did an excellent job for the first time out throwing a major shoot that up until three months ago was "on" one day and off the next. Attendance was more than we expected and that led to problems that many of you have commented on. Needless to say, let's all look at the bright side of having this event - we now have the makings of a major shoot that hopefully will eventually be in the top five shoots each year and we have a shoot where Industry was glad to participate and looks forward to the 2008 US Open.

ALL of us made mistakes this past weekend and ALL of us have pledged to learn from these to make next year's event even better. I wish I could say we'll be "perfect" next time, but I've never been involved or seen a shoot that didn't have a problem or two. The important thing is that this entire group learned a lot and I can assure you that you will see dramatic improvements next time.

For those that had a bad experience, my apologies. WE hope that you'll rethink your decision and we'd love to have you and the rest shooting with us at the 2008 US Open Trapshoot.

Again, on behalf of the Sponsors and the many others involved, THANK YOU for attending and we've already begun working on the 2008 event.

Phil Murray

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

levi; For what it's worth you started the attacks and quite obviously shooters didn't like it. So rant on and let people know how little you do know about the place.

Don

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

levi391

"...I have went to Brittiany shooting park for the state shoot started there, it has always be run perfectly."

Your observations and opinions about the Brittany and the Illinois State Shoots conducted there are about as accurate as your statements concerning Sparta.

The (Illinois) state shoot was moved to the 'new' Brittany club in June of 1999 following the sale of the IL. home grounds (aka Mathers Gun Club) by the IL. State Trapshooters Assn (ISTA). The new Brittany is a terrific 24 trap operation built from scratch. Itw was completed just in time to host the 1999 state shoot.

A separate shell house building was the idea of the late Lloyd Farnsworth who worked tirelessly to raise funds via shooter donations to finance it. The shell house and an additional structure owned by the ISTA were added in following years. My point? Prior to the addition of the new buildings, squadding and cashiering and other activities were all done in the club house. It was crowded, slow, and generally a P.I.A.

As a general statement, it comes as no suprise that shoots, including the state shoot, at the Brittany would be well run. Before hosting the state shoot, the Mohr family hosted registered shoots at their old club. I'm not sure when the old club was built but it was well established when I started shooting there in 1984. That said, the state shoot has never been 'perfect'.

sissy

20. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I'll go back a bit further than "recoil sissy" did as far as Illinois State shoot history. Back in 1971 Jim Mather rebuilt his club south of Springfield, improvements included a new cluhouse, sidewalks, and he faced the traps North, they had been facing east. Mr. Mather had succesfully run the Illinois State Shoot for mant years and had every angle covered. Except the weather, It rained for weeks before the shoot and the bare ground was a complete mud pit. Shooters parked along a county road and walked nearly a mile to the clubhouse. Those that braved the mud and parked on the grounds were left stuck when a storm came during the shoot. The floor of the clubhouse was thick with mud from everyones boots, in all it was a disaster for the new club. The next year the grass grew, the gravel got hauled, and the shoot was perfect again.

When levi391 finds that perfect club where there are never problems and the shoot always runs as planned I hope he let's us all know, so we can show up to shoot and keep him there for 11 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.