1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elevator birds?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Fell on my face shooting in the wind last week. Specifically a headwind that took bids up like they were in an elevator. I started with a usual sporting gun and was missing. Second 25 went back to my usual hi shootin' trap gun with fig 8 beads and still had to cover them up to hit them.

The wind comes in and goes up a 6 ft berm just 20 feet before the trap house.

I was very surprised by the strength of the effect and took too long to reliably dope it out.

Felt more like wobble trap. I probably rode them too and hence lost any gunspeed.

Any similar experiences out there or was I just on a way off day?

thanks!

2. dzneff

dzneff Member

Bruce,
    Our trap fields have a 40-50 ft. wash just past the trap houses. With a prevaling north wind during winter, the targets fly exceptionally high - part of the time & with dips and jumps thrown in. It's a real challange. We say, if you can shoot here (Lake Havasu City, AZ) and make a decent score, you can shoot anywhere else and score much better.
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.