1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

eletronic predetor calls ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pfofml, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfofml

pfofml Member

I would like to learn to call to shoot coyotes with use of a eletronic predetor call. Please submit comments regareding your experience with regard to the type and brand of call which is best suited for success. I will be hunting in southern Minnesota farm country. Thank you for your time and imput.

Peter Falk III

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have one that has a remote.. you set it 20-50 yards in front of you that way their attention is directed at it and not you.. I think foxpro are probably the best.. when they come in they are on high alert.. around here you have to enter the hunting area like you are hiding from a bunch of apaches... if you just walk in, or ride a atv and then start calling all you will get is hawks and crows.. good luck

3. 1oz

1oz Member

Quite interesting ,

I'm ordering a new Wildlife Technologies recorder Monday . This manfacturer has excellent quality sounds is it needed? I like to have confidence in my equipment . I have seen cheaper calls call in animals but I 'm one of those that isn't happy with average i like everything to my side . 1 other manafacturer that caught my eye was Minaska brand . Main reason I purchased the Wildlife was quality of sound is it needed ??? Whats it going to hurt I cant answer that one. I have been out and wished for more volume very windy days some of the lower Foxpro's have lower volume . DO a research on some of the predetor fourms you will here good a bad about all.

Jim

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I use a Minaska, works great.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

I use a foxpro, the model I have is the Fury. I really like mine.

I did a lot of reading and asking questions before I bought mine and it appears that Foxpro is the the most highly thought of.

6. remman

remman TS Member

Foxpro is the way to go. FWIW the distressed woodpecker sound works very well on coyotes & fox. (Arizona desert)

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a Johnny Stewart Digital Preymaster. This is the earlier wired unit, which is still in production. The price has come down on these. They're often on sale for $69 to $79. The drawback of this unit is that it is wired, and you are restricted to the sound cards they offer. But for the money it works and it works well. The only mod I made was to build an extension cable so I could get the speaker further out.

The FoxPro units are nice, at least the more expensive ones. And that's their drawback. Expense. The cheaper FoxPros have had too many complaints about lack of range and needing direct line of sight between transmitter and receiver to work.

Another alternative is to build your own. If you have any experience with MP3 players, this is a very viable alternative. Or you can put sounds on a CD and use a CD player. Varmint Al, at the link, has a very long webpage full of free calling sounds you can download, plus instructions on how to make an electronic caller.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brian- you could spend weeks studying that guys stuff-

Varmit Al

wow

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I WOULDN'T CONSIDER BUYING FROM WILDLIFE TECH. If you did the research like you say you wouldn't either.

Sounds are expensive
    You don't get to pick em
    Gotta buy so many
    Gotta send out your sound card to get them

Foxpro like 12 sounds for 25 bucks delivered to your inbox and you can share with all your friends.

Don't buy the wildlife tech. My buddy has one thats why I went with the Foxpro CS24 Krakatoa.

10. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

There was a "poster" here recently that was selling Fox Pro at a great price. Just the little I know about it, I think they are regarded as just about the best there is. I can get ahold of him if your interested, just PM me.

11. 1oz

1oz Member

Remstar,

I was able to pick or my choose my calls . And yes they are expensive I believe 10.00 for every new call with a min of 6 calls. . I 've got 40 i'll use maybe 7-8 of them . Thanks for your input I had heard of service work being a issue in the past . I'm sure with everything there's a lemon somewhere . I've been behind a few with this being one of the clearest callers I've experenced weither it was store bought , ordered or made.

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

FoxPro Fury, excellent remote with excellent range. I have over 100 different calls on mine and can be ready within seconds to call anything you want.

13. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

I am a dealer in Indiana for the fox pro. If interested, and I can still get my hands on one, I can sell you a Fox Pro FURY for 499.99 plus shipping. These are brand new in the box. Just look at fox pro website for description. If you or any one is interested please give me a call 765-661-3398 thanks Trent

14. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

15. Cray

Cray Member

Has anyone on this site done business with Trent- Fairmount Pro Hardware? Cray

16. 1oz

1oz Member

The FoxPro CS-24 is a good caller no doubt . But if you take note this TOA speaker that foxpro is useing was the old speaker the Wildlife Tech use to use on their old models KAS2030MS . Foxpro does offer cheaper in cost extra sounds that you can load yourself. But wildlife will sell you SD cards that you can choose or purchase to replace yourself maybe not as cheap as foxpro . What i have noticed is the owner of WT has more strick control of his company and product . And really how many calls do you need for years i've used maybe a handful 7-10 different calls. While I find the remote on the WT very simple it has a few things to consider 1 being you will need to modify if you use at night doesn't have a light ,foxpro does have a light that you can turn on I know with the TX-500 model remote. One other deciding factor with me was I talked with people that used these callers for or with their jobs .Example South Dakota Game,Fish And Parks use the WT. Sorry for rambling on either will call in game . Kinda like Apples ver's Apples . Do you like sweet vers semi tart or semi sweet?

17. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

This is not a personal attack against* 1oz or any one for that matter. Like it was said they will both call in game and both will get the job done.

When I got my foxpro CS-24 it was when WT had their caller with the same speaker. You can read all sorts of crap on the WT forum about foxpro. You can read all sorts of crap about WT on the foxpro page. I only know what I have experienced.

Two of my friends have the WT with the 30 watt TOA Speaker.

I bought the Foxpro with the 30 watt TOA, my brother had a fury.
    (Foxpro sponsors a lot of predator hunts etc. as well)

They could not pick and choose there sounds.

I got 100 new ones plus my brothers 80 for a grand total of 180 sounds. Do I use them all? No, but I have them. Its not really about what you need. Its what do you want for your money.

Their remotes didn't have a play list or backlight IIRC(granted its been three years). Mine does(digital) and you can scroll through it. Both of my friends have said that the guy from WT just sounds like a Dick and have had trouble with him as far as buying sounds. 60 bucks will buy you six from WT and practicly all from Foxpro(if your friends dont have some you can take).

You say he has more control over his company(BS he wants the money). I say Foxpro tries to outfit the hunters that support them.

Do whatever you want but for cheaper money you get better service, more convience, and actual 24 bit sounds.

Nick

18. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

hello, Just wanted to let everyone know about the prarie blaster. I got a call from a guy in New York who was interested in one. I shot him a price of 575.00 plus shipping and he jumped on it. Around 100.00 cheaper than anywhere else. If interested I will pass the same price along. If interested give me a call. 765-661-3398 thanks Trent

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have not messed with calling machines, but was an audio contractor for more than 30 years.

I notice the "speakers" as they call them are all horn types, which most likely have compression driver diaphragms. The frequency response is not as good as a paper cone type speaker (like the one your radio has).

It is, however, much more efficient, 15% vs 5% efficiency. This means it does not take as much power to get the same volume. You get what you pay for, and this is true in either Frquency response or efficiency. I do not know of any speaker trhat can deliver both.

I have a box full of weatherproof 8 inch commercial speakers to try if it seems the better frequency response would be desirable. A stronger amplifier is another matter.

........just what I need, another damn project. Wonder if Google can deliver frequency ranges of the common noises used.

HM

20. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.