1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

electronic scales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hot springs, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Thinking about upgrading to an electronic scale for measuring powder drops etc. Since I have no experience in any of the brands available, please tell me your personal favorites and why. Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

PACT is my favorite and most of the other scales that will be recommended by others are made by PACT.

Pat Ireland

3. AlanM

AlanM Member

PACT have been using for years, like Pat said, most of the others are made by PACT.

Alan

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

PACT is all you need to know..... Mash on the link above... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

I gave up on the Pact. It's a POS. Went back to a beam scale

TB

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Personal opinion:

Unless you're a young guy who has to have everything instantly, you'll be better off with a good RCBS beam balance than with any digital scale under $350; I have 3 PACT electronic scales sitting on a shelf, all recommended by firends, because they will not hold zero and/or not repeat weights for a sample powder charge. All have been back to PACT at least twice in the past and all have been returned "in perfect order". They're sold to reloaders for their "cool" factor and not because they are better than a beam. A beam balance requires no fiddling, just an occasional cleaning and re-zero is enough.

MK

7. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have a Dillon works great, and it's quaranted to continue to for as long as it exist.

8. front242

front242 Member

I bought a Pact at Trap2's suggestion. It's been great. Not sure what the problem is with some of the above posters but my experience has been relatively trouble free. It's fast, keeps zero, and most importantly is accurate. The only thing I did notice is that it will be a little problematic if you have a fan blowing on your bench. I shut the fan off across the room and all issues went away. It says right in the instruction book to keep it away from breezy areas. The scale is that touchy. No more fan, no more fluctuation issues.

Thanks Dan for the tip on the nice scale!

Tim O
    ²4²

9. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

I am one of those young guys that needs everything instantly and will never go back to a a-beam. My RCBS 750 serves me well. Just 58 and been reloading....well, a long time.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got a Dillon electronic and I'll never go back to a beam scale! Mine holds zero with no issues, repetes weight if it's the same. The only fault with mine is the fact that I have to make sure the register is closed by the bench. Drafts will affect the read out a little bit.

ss

11. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Been using a Pact for yrs. no problems

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"If you can't use a Pact, you shouldn't be reloading."</I>

There's an example of the kind of "thinking" that makes America what it is today!

MK

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

"...and most importantly is accurate."

Comments like this always make me wonder, how do you know? What standard are you using to make this determination? How often do you take it to a Metrologist for calibration?

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The positive with the digital/electronic scale is that it can be moved across the room or anywhere on the work bench and still be accurate. The serious negative is the slightest breeze or air movement, even walking up to the scale, will change the reading; create the appearance of losing it's zero. The digital is best used in a room with no open windows or doors and approached slowly. With the balance beam, the positive in reverse is that it will tolerate gentle air movement well but the negative is that moving it from where you zeroed it will require rechecking the zero; any change in the plane on which it sits will require a recheck. The balance beam costs a lot less while the digital usually is a lot faster for a read. I'll use my Dillon digital until it gives up on me but I won't hesitate to use the RCBS balance beam in it's place......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

My PACT came with two check weights so I can calibrate the scale myself. I have not calibrated the two check weights. I did that once in a Chemistry class and don't want to spend another 3 hours getting things to six decimal places.

Pat Ireland

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have a Set of Lyman check weights that I use to calibrate my beam and balance scale. I stand by my comment that the PACT is a POS. Never could get it to hold a zero and it continually went off into never never land. The beam and balance with check weights is the most reliable and accurate way to go.

TB

17. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I appreciate your thoughts. It will be interesting to see how my old RCBS balance beam scale and the PACT scale read out on the same powder charges. I'm looking to change a few of my favorite loads to more modern powders and want to be completely accurate! Thanks again.

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The beam balance is the best...I dust mine off every once in a while when I have a question about the reading on my PACT. Rather than go through the calibration (it has never actually needed it) I just check it against the beam balance. The PACT has never been more than 0.1 of a grain different in all the years I've owned it. If all you weigh is powder, the PACT IS probably overkill. If you're ever culling suspect loads, the beam balance is completely worthless. The PACT can do it all. the one I'm referring to is the $130 model, I have never tried the smaller "BBK".

19. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

look on ebay....ams scale company......best 20 dollars spent....never wouild go back to beam scales.

set the shell on the scale..set tare....load powder..put back on scale..there you have powder charge.

all in 29 seconds...what more to ask for.

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have a PACT. I did drop mine once and had to send it back to them. I feel it is a fine product and would not hesitate in getting another. I have balance beam , which works okay, but it is way too slow for me. For me going digital meant never going back to a blalance beam except in an emergency. Besides, PACT is made America, which is importnat to me ( and yes I shoot a Perazzi).

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.