1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic scale dangerous?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was cleaning my shotgun and I had a small piece of very fine steel wool lying on the bench. I moved something and saw sparks and low and behold the steel wool was trying to ignite. I moved the steel wool to see what was the source of the spark was and it was the end of the AC plug in that goes into the Pact Scale. It has a small round end that plugs into the side of the Pact and instead of unplugging it at the wall I always just pull it out of the scale?? The steel wool was almost on fire and given the fact there was no spilled or open powder on the bench at the time it did not result in an actual fire but was pretty scary and an eye opener. I do the same thing with cell phone chargers etc but I wont any longer. I will be unplugging at the wall. Has anyone experienced this?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Answer? RCBS 1010
    [​IMG]

3. cubancigar2000

actually I rarely use the elect scale jack. I just keep it on the bench. I have a Webster hydraulic balance scale that I use almost always

4. cubancigar2000

actually I rarely use the elect scale jack. I just keep it on the bench. I have a Webster hydraulic balance scale that I use almost always but when I need to check the shot drops at 1 1/4 & 1 3/8 I need the electronic because the beam does not go that high. The purpose of the post is to make shooters aware of the possibilty of a fire

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I always use my Ohaus to verify my Pact digital. The beam scale never lies. The pact varies if battery gets a little low, needs calibration etc. My 40 year old Lyman always reads 168 gr. when I put a Sierra Match King in the pan. Always. Can't say that for the digital.When I am loading stuff not that critical, I use the digital. When a couple tenths is critical like in a 22 hornet, I always reach for the beam scale.

Jeff

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Making it sound like it's the scales fault is a bit misleading. What you are saying is you had a habit of leaving live electrical wiring laying around, and wondered if that was a good idea? Even if it's only a stepped down power plug I can't imagine leaving it plugged in and laying about on a workbench.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have always heard that leaving a charge cord plugged in and just unplugging the device is bad on the charge cord.

Either way a good lesson and thanks for sharing. Its a innocent thing like this that could of been a disaster.

Bill

8. cubancigar2000

Thx bill, Thats my point. I know it was dumb of me but I have done it for years and suspect a lot of others have too

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

PACT Scales are a POS. I use a battery operated scale that was purchased from Ballistic Products for $25 . It works great and is a 1000 time better than the POS Pact.

Tom

10. cubancigar2000

Yes Tom, I am aware of this. I hate the pact and would never buy another.I dont like Elect scales period

11. AlanM

AlanM Member

suprise, suprise, if I not mistaken most of the electronic scales are made by Pact. Take a good close look at the electronic scales and compare them.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Had the same thing happen to me to my very surprise. It happened to me with a battery. I set down steel wool on a 9 volt battery, not really paying attention to where I was setting it. It did not take long and the steel wool was red hot, and the hot area was traveling outward from the contacts. It never flamed up but it was a definite eye opener the way it burned. Makes me wonder if steel wool is actually steel, and not magnesium or something. It seemed to keep spreading even though the contact areas where burned up to the point it was not still touching the contacts. Jon

I am not sure I feel comfortable having anything electrical around on my loading bench, unless it is sealed. Even then, whats to say that over time connections become worn or loose, and the wire could transfer power to the exterior metal.

13. revbook

revbook Member

We used steel wool and a flashlight to start fires in the Boy Scouts.

Don

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The picture of that RCBS 1010 shows that detonation occured. Also electronic scales should not be close to any fluorescent lighting.

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No, careless people are.

Guy B.

PACT user and believer at large.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

We used a flint, which is magnesium. Jon

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Toolmaker251,

Really? Pls define close.

My 48" 2 tube fixture is appx. four foot directly overhead.

I also have a flat screen TV 4' up and 4' to the right--oh, and a laptop mounted on an articulating arm adjacent to my MEC complete with killer Altec speakers sitting on each corner of my bench..

Every time I calibrate my PACT with its test weights, it comes out smellin like a rose.

Except fer when I have my Led Zeppelin CD cranked up too loud...

I do agree about the RCBS--looks dangerous to me!!!!

Guy B.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I always leave my RCBS scale plugged in, it has been on almost 3 years now and is temp and voltage stabilized, has never deviated from the test weights.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The issue of having a electronic scale in close proximity to magnetic fields such as florcenent lighting was discussed on benchrest central a few years ago. How close I don't remember, but I keep my scale several feet away from this type of lighting and use it just on battery power. I also have a RCBS beam scale that I now use to calibrate my electronic scale periodically with weights from a company that supplied the national bureau of standards long before we were born.

20. willing

willing Member

Did you ever look at the filament in a light bulb???? A very thin wire(steel wool) gets very hot if current is passed through due to resistance. Some give off heat others light, etc.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.