1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Scale - bargain priced

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I was out and about today and while picking up something for my wife at a store called "Sur La Table" which is similar to Williams Sonoma and other culinary-type establishments, I ran across a very reasonably priced electronic scale, which is designed solely for very light weights.

Made by Salter, its their model 1250, for use in measuring ultra fine weights in .005 oz increments. This unit has a relatively small footprint and has a weight capacity range of .005 - 8.0 ounces or .1 - 250 grams.

The cost is $29. I bought one and tested it against my magnetic beam scale and appears right on... I'll have to check it with a known weight. Comes with a 10 year warranty. It may not be a powder/shot scale in the strict sense, but at $29 for a food quality scale designed specifically for light weight, appears to be a great value. Cover acts as the receptacle.

regards to all,

Jay

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The best deal on electronic scales is at the Chicago Police Dept. auction of seized property where they have dozens of scales they took from drug dealers.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Electronic scales for that price are abundant on Ebay.

4. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Jay,
    Thanks for the post. Good info.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who knows a link to where you can buy such an item. My Yamato scale I purchased from Don Nygord years ago finally conked out, after years of weighing FWB air pistol CO2 cylinders. My garage range will be out of commission until I locate another one...

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

DO NOT try to weih powder on that scale..... .005 oz is over 2 grains.

7. spitter

I stand corrected... I have to agree with Ahab, I re-did my calculations and while a .1 gram increment is just under 2 grains, using ounces its over 2 grains which is too much deviation...

My apologies,

Jay

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

buzz-gun I don't know exactly what you are looking for but this web site has more scales than a ware I have ever seen before.

Check it out and see if there is something you can use.

Bob Lawless

http://www.oldwillknott.com/cgi-bin/s/old_will_s_home_page.html

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jay - There's a conversion formula from grams to grains. Google it. Too bad it doesn't have a grains opion.

10. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Gamaliel Shooting Supply has a digital reloading scale for $ 30
    i have one it it works well.

ernie

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You want a "grain" scale, not an "ounce" scale for reloading.

12. spitter

Whiz...

You're absolutely correct, I had just happened to see this scale with its limited range using grams/ounces for small weights, and doing some rough calcs thought it was accurate enough... it wasn't.

regards to all,

Jay

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Graf's has an electronic scale for $25.00. Accurate and the handiest I've ever had.

Graf's, St. Charles, MO. Ask for Mike Graf.

milt

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

CORRECT.....I bought an "El cheapo" grams scale (at Harbor Freight)and it is nowwhere close to my Lyman's grains scale. Grams to grains is OK.....except for the decimals. ....they can be OFF by ALOT. ( 1 grain is enough to be off)).
    25 grains = 1.61997 grams......so if your scale doesn't go to 1/100's/1/1000's
    it can be misleading (not inaccurate/but not accurate enough). I use www.metric-conversion.biz/convert+grains+to+grams.htm. My "el cheapo" goes to .10 of a gram..........not too good for reloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.