1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic safe locks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrrem3200, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I have an eight year old Champion gun safe with a Sergeant Greenleaf electronic key pad. I talking with the gentleman who sold me the safe and he told me I'm on borrowed time in regards to my lock. He feels that the locks should be changed every 3-4 years. The safe Mfg agreed, however the people at Sergeant Greenleaf don’t think this is a big issue. The lock installed is about $350 to $400. That’s a big nut to crack every 3 years. The lock has a 2 year warranty, the mechanical locks are guaranteed for ever. Has anyone ever had an issue with their electronic locks?

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

No problems here. My lock gets used at least a couple of times a day. I've had it for 4 yrs and still have not replaced the two 9 volt batteries.

Doug

3. starship

starship TS Member

I've only had mine about two years and no problems...BUT
    if the lock doesn't work or if the batteries go dead there is a specially cut key and a hidden key hole that allows me to bypass the lock and gain access.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

starship, you've answered my question. Do all the electro locks have this?

HM

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I've had my second one about 6yrs. First one broke after about 3yrs, with the door open. I wanted to go back to mechanical but could only get the electronic lock the day I needed it. I fixed the first one but no way I would trust it again. There is a cheap two dollar electric motor inside it that spins a treaded shaft. It could last for ever or quit anytime, so could a new one.
    My original mechanical lock was shot by an 18yr old who had probably seen too many old western movies.

My S&G electronic lock has no hidden key hole nor the Liberty safe. That doesn't sound like a very safe safe.

6. starship

starship TS Member

I don't know if all safes have this but would ask the lock folks (lock manf and safe manf) and if it doesn't have it now can it be installed with the new lock, if you decide to go that route.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I guess I will stay with the Browning, and the mechanical com lock.

Simple is better.

HM

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have one on my safe. Changed the battery's once. In 10 years Ive never encountered any problems. I do like the key idea. What make is your electronic lock?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.