1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

electronic safe locks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tinman18, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinman18

tinman18 TS Member

has anyone converted there combination lock on there safe to an electronic type? How hard is it to do?

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Best thing I ever did, quick and easy!

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I myself have not done it. However one of my safes is a Smith Security Safe from Tontogany Ohio with a combination lock. I spoke with Doug Smith the owner a while back about an electronic conversion. He said other than drilling a small hole or two I believe in the front panel of the door it is very easy. I assume the inside panel has to come off to do the hook up. The hole or two are for the bolts that the key pad mounts to. The key pad just slides off in order to rplace the battery. That is how the one on my Cannon safe works anyway.I think I may jsut give myself a Christmas present and convert it soon. Bill

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Call a locksmith and have it done, I think mine was like a $75.00 option when I got my safe, money well spent.

Jim R

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I was a huge skeptic of electronic locks, for several reasons, until I finally got one. I'll never go back. The guy put it on in just a few minutes (S&G electronic replacing an S&G mechanical dial).

-Gary

6. WCR

WCR TS Member

When I was looking to buy a safe I checked out an electronic touch pad. I ask the sales person where the battery was and he pulled of the touch pad to show me where it was. I then noticed that there were 2 wires running from the pad through a small hole in the door of the safe and I ask what happens if someone pulls the pad off cuts the wires and pushes them back through the hole. He told me if that happen no one would be able to open the safe.

Is this a true fact. I bought the tumbler dial for that reason.

WCR

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

As Gary mentioned, if the original lock is a S&G, then the S&G elec lock is a direct replacement.

I replaced the S&G dial on my used vault door and have only changed the two 9 volt batteries once in 5-1/2 years. My lock gets opened at least once a day, sometimes several times if I'm gone running errands.

I think I paid about $200 for the lock from McMaster-Carr.

Here's a link, scroll to the bottom of the page....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#combination-locks/=9x0v4l

Doug

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

25 years ago, internet access, cell phones and electronic locks were not an option. i got a s&g off ebay for cheap about 10 years ago. installed it myself. nothing to it. good luck with it

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Companies often have a maintenance program of replacing their electronic locks every 2 years

The reason is that they are afraid of failure- whereby the safe would not open

I recently purchased a safe - that worked before I purchased it- was open and the digital lock would not work-- I had that lock replaced- lucky the safe was in the open position

So just consider your own optionse

Regards from Iowa

Gen

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I replaced mine with no problem. It used holes already in the safe.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't mind using the tumbler style that came with mine. I know it may take me a minute or two to open my safe(s), but I never have to worry about any sort of failure.

My biggest fear is of a fire/vanldleism. My safes will keep everything fine for over an hour. If I installed an electronic key pad, I doubt that it would survive. I'm not sure how easy the safe would be to open if the key pad is ever damaged by fire or vandleism.

ss

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you take the wires and touch them to the posts of a 9-volt battery, does it unlock?

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

absolutely!

14. TANGO ECHO

TANGO ECHO TS Member

The safe will not unlock if you touch the two wires to a battery!The wires carry the code from the keypad to the mother board located inside the safe door if the code is correct the board sends current to the lock and the bar retracts and you can open the door. While a dial and tumbler lock is very durable don't think that its fool proof either! I have had two of these fail on two diffrent safes over several years.This requires a safe man drilling the safe to get in.Results in damage to the safe and no small expense to get in and then repair the damage.The same would apply to getting into the electronic lock but with a little less damage to the safe.When you see how easy someone who knows how can get in a locked safe you will wonder if having one is worth while!They will keep amateurs out but not a pro!

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I will keep my manual, dial combination locks on my safes.

I have worked with dial combiantion locks on safes and vaults for over 50 years with no problems.

I see no advantage to me for the elctronic locks.

Allen

16. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

What I noticed with my Winchester safe is that it KNOWS the difference between a Duracell and an Energizer 9 volt. Go figure. The instructions say to use an Energizer. But, how in the heck does the safe know the difference? Strange. Jim

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

How do you handle it when and if the batteries should go bad?

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You remove the keypad, replace the battery(s), reinstall the keypad and open the safe.

I've had two safes with electronic locks and would not consider one with a dial-type lock. In fact, I waited for my dealer to order my last safe even though he had the exact safe in stock with a dial lock.

A friend of mine recently bought a new safe with a dial lock. He poo-pooed the idea of an electronic lock until he came here one day and I opened my safe to show him something. He wanted to know how I got the safe open so fast and now wants to change his lock.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.