1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Powder Scales – Advice and opinions????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cottondoctor, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

My Denver Instruments Company –Accurate Load III electronic scale bit the dust after many years of dependable, accurate service…………..it is so old it is discontinued and no parts are available. What are your: Opinions? Experiences? Recommendations? regarding electronic scales (I load for match rifles, hunting rifles, handguns and tons for trap shooting……..Thanks in advance.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I have one thats made overseas and cost $10 off of Ebay. Works great, so far, 6 years old.

Fits in my shirt pocket and came with weight checks.

When it bites the dust, I'll look for one that has AC adapter.

Price and brand doesn't seem to matter. Look for and find one that has a life time guarantee.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A balance scale will last forever and is as accurate or more so than the digital.I have both but rarely use the digital. I had to send it back twice and have no confidence in the accuracy now. The best in my opinion is the Ohaus dial a grain scales

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is the scale I have, and love it. Bought it from my buddy a couple years ago when he was selling out, worked great for him too. Sold my Pact and never looked back. Harv Shell

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I use a gravity-powered balance.

I have 3 digitals sitting in boxes on a shelf. Two are PACT. Both have been back to Texas twice because they won't hold a zero. One came back with all new innards. I talked to the techs at the factory by phone while it was there. They suggested, "Let it warm up a few minutes before you use it."

I said, "That doesn't work. It's battery powered and it shuts off automatically after 30 seconds.

"Oh..."

I'll give them away to some friends who don't know about cheap digitals.

MK

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If your interested in a like new RCBS 505 balance scale I have one for $50 plus shipping from NJ . I have another like it and I am quite satisfied with them . I also borrowed a digital and gave it back because of some of the same issues listed here .

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pact - nothing but trouble

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

I agree PACT is a POS

Went back to a bewm and balance. I have some Lyman check weights so accuracy is assured.

Tb

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

a balance beam scales is to an electronic scales the same as a newtons cradle is to an iphone. good luck with it.
    pact. accurate, reliable, dc and no auto shut off

10. Unknown1

Not saying that there aren't accurate reliable digitals. I own one I use only for loading .308 ammunition for competition. I cost me in the upper half of 3 figures used and it's accurate to .0015 grains. It's a major overkill for shotshell loads; they just don't require that much accuracy and repeatability. Does that mean a $40 digital is fine for shotshells? No, it doesn't. Cheap digitals are cheap because their made of cheap parts. It's somebody's way of tapping the reloading market by waving technology in front of reloaders and watching the dollars roll in.

Funny how so many digital scale fanatics keep a beam balance around "just to double-check" that digital.

MK

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I always liked the way my old Webster beam balance liked to stick at either end of the scale. Also, whenever I discovered the powder measure ran dry and I had a couple dozen shells to cull through, the beam balance was so worthless it was easier to just pull them all (metallics) - that is, along with the fact that it didn't have the capacity to weigh a loaded shotgun shell.

On the subject of digitals: If you're foolish enough to buy one of the battery powered models, good luck - you'll need it. Also, digital owners do usually keep their old beam balance around because they're too cheap to buy/build test weights and the beam balance has to have some usage, otherwise it ends up on ebay.

12. Unknown1

Heck, if you're not going to use the beam and have that much faith in the digital, throw the beam away!

MK

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have a Dillon digital AND a Dillon balance beam. Likely that both are made by other companies. The digital is used primarily and is at least 13 years old. The balandce beam is used for the rare occasion that I question the digital for some reason. The hangup with the digitals is that the slightest breeze, even breathing while leaning over it, will keep it from locking up on a weight or holding a zero. Doors and windows must be closed, fans turned off, and even walking by the scale can change it's reading. The balance beam has always measured right on or 1/10 grain lighter than the digital.

There was an earlier digital from Dillon that lost part of the display and Dillon replaced it within 24 hrs of my call and instructions to send the failing one back........breakemall

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

remember 15 years ago when a laser pointer cost 80 bucks? today you can get them at the dollar store. 10 years ago a laptop was $2500. today their $500. 5 years ago the razr was 200 bucks. can you even buy one today? price doesn't mean cheap; it means relevant to the current available technology. today's electronic scales are as current as your iphone. it's the same technology. in fact, your iphone can do what your electronic scales does: you can get a scales app for about $7.99 - weigh your claydot right on the screen! good luck with it

15. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I was going to retire my balance beam for a digital a year or so ago. Looked at the reviews on Cabelas, Midway, etc. etc. and couldn't find one that most of the reviewers gave 5 stars to. Lots of them got 1 star.

Not that you can't buy a good digital scale, the trick is to find a good one at balance beam price levels.

Maybe things are better now, but I wait to see better reviews before I buy one.

16. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have the RCBS Rangemaster 750 Electronic Scale and have been very pleased with it.

I have a couple of Lyman scales that are good also as well as an RCBS balance beam type of scale.

However, I use the RCBS 750 mostly and like it.

Allen

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

what about the trapscore app? anybody use it? or is a pencil and paper simpler? thanks

18. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

After 45 years of reloading and waiting for that damn powder pan to stop swinging on my RCBS 505 and it's predecessors, I decided to to invest in a digital scale and I have never regretted it, not even for a moment. I did a lot of research into the matter and talked to a lot of people who had them and found out three truths: 1. all of them have some problem or quirks; 2. the el cheapos are junk; 3. and you damn well better learn the rules of your machine and follow them without exception. I ended up with a RCBS Chargemaster combo and have cursed the years I stuck with the beam type scales. The RCBS is amazingly fast, even for dedicated experimenter like me. I use it 95% for rifle and 5% for pistol. It will gear down and dispense as little as 1.3 grains of Red Dot for my ultra-powerful .32 S&W rounds and go over to 63 grains for a shoulder-breaker in my Thutty-Ought-Six and everything in between. Like the book says, I cut it on when I walk into the room for a reloading session and in half an hour or less when I am ready to start, it is ready to go. You don't use it on the front porch during a hurricane as breezes affect the platen but other than that, no problems. The old 505? I keep it right beside the RCBS to verify the first five or so charges the digital throws when I start or whenever I change powders during a session. It is my anchor to windward. I really don't know what I would do if the two varied more than .01 grain as they never have. You can get some very good feedback from the MidwayUSA catalog which has feedback on each of the makes and models. Good luck, and I think you'll be glad you went with a digital.

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My Pact digital has served me well. I'm surprised a couple have had trouble with them.

Guy Babin

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed. over 350,001 iphone apps or a pact. good luck with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

denver - accurate load iii