1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

electronic muffs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by b-copper, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b-copper

b-copper TS Member

which is the best? the pro ears predator gold, or msa sordin?

2. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I have had several different makes and models and none of them have lasted -- They have all been good for a time -- they either stop working all together or cut in and out -- so I have purchased my last set

3. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have been using the Peltor electronic muffs for about 10 years now, and other than replacing the battery every so often, I have had no problems. If the temperature gets down below freezing very far, the speakers sound kind of funny, but that is easily fixed by keeping the muffs warm.

4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I have used Peltor Tactical 7 muffs since 1990 and love them. I use them for all my shooting including hunting. The newer Model 6 is less bulky and is cheaper. Yes, they are hot in the summer, but a small price to pay for my hearing. I am 10% disabled because of my hearing problems. It was not considered macho to wear hearing protection on the line back when I was in the Corps. Today we know better.

A buddy bought a pair of the 6's and after years of custom molded plugs he is delighted that he can hear conversation and still be protected around the range. He really likes that he can hear the scorer call the scores between stations.

There are cheaper manufacturers, but I don't have any experience with them.

HBT

5. IM390

IM390 Member

Just remember, they are not fool proof. I've had some cut off when someone was shooting on a different trap. I also hate it when when the wind comes in from the side or behind me and the electronics whistles.

I would also recommend you look for a pair that has a partial profile, otherwise you might discover them banging into your comb whenever you mount the gun.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I think I have the "Pro-Ears". My batteries tend to fall out and I have to contiinually tape them in. Adn the volume knobs get bumpd on and burn up the batteries. But after taking a reduction to the 25 I can tell you that 3-1/2 DR hcp reports demand the use of muffs. The concussion is unbelieveable. I'll be on the 27 for sure now by July 1st. In deference to my sanity. I will even consider shooting alone and certainly will be looking at the yardages as I sighn up. But I got used to mounting my gun and not banging the muffs. Adn my set has a felt pad on the bottome of the right muff. Make sure you leftys get the felt pad on the left muff.

7. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I wear Pro-Ears and foam plugs. My Pro-Ears are comfortable since they have leather earmuff pads, but I have noise/interference issues with one of the muffs. I have sent the muffs back twice to Pro-Ears...still have the problem.

I don't know why more manufacturers don't make a decent earmuff pad...most are cheap vinyl, and are uncomfortable: you'll sweat like crazy on a hot day, and they're cold on a cold day.

I think most of us would gladly pay more for something decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.