1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic ~ Ipad Score Sheets???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newfoundlander, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Just thinking about the idea of an Electronic Scoring systems..

Does anyone know if there is a program available where by a score keeper could take an Ipad or equivelant electronic device to the line to keep score..

It would also make it easy for the Range committee to keep track of the Shooter score adverages and target payments reveived for the months book keeping...

Also would make things so much easier when disputes arise anytime in the future!!!

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )

2. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

Hi Robert - I've spent some time considering ways to design such a system, but the bottom line is that iPad's are too expensive. At even $400 for first generation models (on eBay), that cost quickly adds up.

There's no doubt it would save significant amounts of time and paperwork, however. If you're serious about such a system, please let me know via private message and we can chat further.

Thanks,

Dean

3. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I am serious in finding a way to record shoots electronically...

With the high cost of the Ipad these days , there seems to be reducing of the cost of their competative devices in the Market place..

PM is sent to you...

Opinions from others on this topic are always welcome..

Robert

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One problem area I see is the lack of a hardcopy record initialed by the squad leader as an accurate count. In case of a dispute, how would the record be checked and verified as accurate when entered into the official scoring records? The next problem area and this would depend on how the App was designed, would be the inadvertent and unnoticed finger "brush" introducing errors or omissions.

Then there is the question of how the squadding info would be loaded into the iPad (or equivalent). If you have WiFi signals at the line (probably a smaller club close to the club house or a very well financed larger club) then it might be able to download a new squad's info. If there is not WiFi then the info would either have to be downloaded in advance (leaving the prospect of late changes not being entered) and a delay in uploading the info from the iPad back to the main office server or the device would have to be taken to a location where WiFi is available.

It might be able to be done but I wonder if there is a sufficient commercial market in the Trap area for this type of App to interest anyone other than as a hobby type development. If it could be made so as to allow not only Trap but Skeet, Sporting Clays, and maybe handgun, rifle and archery events entry then the commercial market expands but so does the complexity of developing the App.

5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I own an iPad - and an iPhone. They are extraordinary devices and almost every aspect of my life has changed to include those new electronic tools. Personally, though, I would not think there's be a market for a trap shooting scoring app. The security and reporting issues have been mentioned. Here are a few of my concerns;

(1) they are difficult to read outdoors, not impossible, but difficult. I use "cheaters" when reading and shooting glasses the rest of the time. I know the iPhone is a hassle without my cheaters, and the iPad is not much better. I can read writing - especially large, legible writing done with a pencil (no pens, please).

(2) What would I be inclined to do it it start raining or snowing? Probably put my device away. Then, what good would it be for recording scores? While it is common to allow paper score sheets to dry - and sometimes even flake off some dried mud - I wouldn't want to be in a position of cleaning an iPad or iPhone that has fallen into a puddle or a pile of mud.

(3) They depend on battery power. What happens when the power is gone? I can always write on paper - and even the inside of a shell box in an emergency.

(4) I wouldn't know what to "do" with the device while shooting. The phone is less of an issue, but the iPad is still more cumbersome than I'd like on the field.

(5) The devices are not "always on" and available. They're fairly fast, but you still have to energize them before doing anything on them.

(6) They are useless for glove wearers - and just imagine the issues with mittens. The screens need real human touch - skin.

Larry

6. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

The computer world got away from punch cards perhaps too soon. A five line punch card and a card reader would do exactly what you want. The scorekeeper would simply mark hits with a stylus. Tough to correct errors, though. There would need to be a notes section.

We could have hanging chads in Trap.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's not broken, don't fix it.

Eric

8. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I wrote a letter to NSSA on this very subject. Gathering scores and data input are the biggest waste of everyone's VALUABLE time. I suggested the move to Scantron technology. That's a far cry better than what is currently done.

If bowling alleys can figure out a workable scoring solution.....why can't we?

9. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Scantron, good idea.

10. undersluice

undersluice Member

An alternative would be to look at OCR (Optical Character Recognization) technology. Conceptually, replace the paper sheets filled up by the scorers with an OCR form. Have an another OCR form designed that standardizes the summation and reporting to ATA systems, compile the results, summarize them and integrate with ATA systems electronically. So, the ONLY manual touchpoint is the scorer, recording the scores on an OCR form.

Not sure, what the forms/readers costs. Just an another thought to digitally record/compile the scores and reduce the turnaround time it takes from recording the score at the line and when it shows up on the ATA website !

Regards,
    JB @ SoCal

11. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Hey guys,

Good news. As an addition to the <a href="http://shotgunnet.com" target="_blank">Shotgun Score site</a> that I recently launched I am making a IPad, Iphone, Android, and BlackBerry compatible score keeping app for FREE.

I plan to release this in approximately 1 month (max). I started already working on it. I believe in getting the user's feedback early, so I hope that you guys will help me design it to your liking. This means that it won't have all the features at the beginning. Depending on demand I will keep adding features.

I am adding new things to the site and next to the mobile app on a daily basis.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Electronic scoring is old news with Olympic Bunker systems. The computer systems used at bunker are tied together and when a referee honks for a lot bird its recorded and placed on the scoreboard for all to see. The first thing that needs to be done is get rid of the low tech CVRs and go with an integrated voice call scoring system. To do this all you need is $$$$$.

Tom

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Once you get an iPad version into the App store be sure to lets TS.com know. I would be willing to take a look and see what it offers and give it a whirl.

14. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

At our club the dispute re scoring is "Pencil or Pen?"

Not speaking to the bigger shoots, but in New Negland, a lot of the scoreres are kids, not shooters, and often enough there's a "problem" that is best resolved by everyone looking at the big, easily readable sheet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

electronic score keeping skeet and trap

electronic shooting scoring devices