1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 154, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 154

154 TS Member

Is there one better than the other for shooting sports ?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Depends on your desires. There are different things to consider. I wanted to be able to listne to an MP3 player. I got a set of Pro Ears.

My friend who has a lot of hearing loss and wanted the highest NRR (noise reduction rating) chose MSA (Mine Safety Associates).

There are some lower cost alternatives that may not satisfy the above criteria but will fill your needs just fine.

Do an internet search on "electronic hearing protection" to see what's out there.

HM

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pro-Ears don't shut down completely, they suppress the sound. Most shut down. All of the smaller ones have a NRR of about 20, not too good. The bigger ones are better but often bang the stock.

4. 154

154 TS Member

Thanks.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

154 - Try to find one that's got a NRR of at least 29. I wear the Peltor Tactical 6, which is 21, but I also supplement with a set of custom-made plugs which are approx. NRR 35. The total NRR is about 45.

Best,
    Dennis

6. jwatts

jwatts TS Member

Try a pair on and shoulder a gun. Some people buy a nice set then only to hate to wear them as their gun stock hits the plastic hearing muff. They are GREAT for winter shooting as the ear keep warm. I love mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.