1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Gates ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gun1357, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Electric gates are high maintenance items. Think about service before making any decisions. Ron Renouf

2. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

They are bad enough if you cannot get in, but just wait until you get in and cannot get out. (They can, will, and do, break down for all kinds of reasons)the beav

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have had one for 4 years. it a mighty mule brand from tsc.. Mine works flawless, the first one lasted 3 years and started giving trouble so I ditched it and bought another one, it is usually opened and shut about 4 times a day during the week.. You cant really get locked in or out, there is a pin you can pull if it fails and you can still go in or out. I love mine.. I run it with a deep cycle battery with a solar charger hooked to it..

4. andybull

andybull Active Member

If you are going to be doing the work, be prepared to become an expert in the system. I hired a gate company to make the gate and install an Apollo gate opener that they recommended. The system started as a solar system, battery back up, digital voltage regulator, photoelectric eye, loop detector, phone digital entry system, etc. Within two years, I replaced the system with an Elite Miracle opener, hard wired, new and better photoelectric eye.

I finally have the gate operating, I installed a magnetic switch that locks it shut, if there was a storm and the gate was forced open by the wind, the circuit board would tend to pop (board cost $200.00-$350.00 each.

Mind you, this is my future retirement home and it is 850 miles from my full time home, I view the home and gate with a remote surveillance system, so when the gate stays open I see it and start to worry.

The gate now looks and operates great, as long as the yard guys don't "F" it up, the operating system has caused me many sleepless nights and at least $10,000.00 between trips to and from the house plus parts, my labor).

First and second picture is of the gate with the 120 volt, 12 volt battery back up system I installed, minus the magnetic lock.

Third picture was of the gate with the solar, battery system.

v
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Urbans

Urbans Member

I have 2 solar powered operated gates with a battery for back up. They are powered by GTO openers, these gates have been installed for over 15 years, Very little problems. Correct installation is the key. The mfg is located in Fla, I live in Missouri, but would be glad to help with more info, email frei@454.com. Glad to share my info. Ed Freise

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Andybull:
    Nice property and house.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. 1oz

1oz Member

Ed , on my end your email address comes back .I will private message you

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.