1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic ears recomendations...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

My wife and I want to buy some electronic ear protection. I know there's going to be a problem with them hitting on the guns, but we would really like to be able to hear each other when we're shooting. Mostly to tell me what I'm doing wrong, but...

Anyone have these that they like? Heading off to Cabelas in Maine soon, hope to see some. We were at Bass last week and while they had lots of them, there was no way to try before buying, so we passed.

recommendation??

Thanks.
    Bruce
    capvan

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Peltor 6S Tacticals. Flip the earpieces upside down for even more clearance. Seems like there is another brand that is real popular, but I can't remember the name. Good luck.

I finally remembered. Here's another brand that some say are preferable to Peltors. Neither are earplug style, but from your thread I thought this was what you were looking for. I apologize if I wasted your time.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/howard-leight-hearing-protection.html

3. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

I had a pair of Pro-Ears Pro Slims that I liked - they were stolen along with my shooting bag from my locked truck in my work parking lot.

I replaced them with a set of Pro-Ears Pro Mags. The Mag set is larger, but I do not have any problems with them hitting the stock - the Pro Slims should be no problem for about any one.

They are expensive, but they have the highest protection levels you can get without going to plugs AND muffs.

Look around, as I think you can get them cheaper though dealers than dirctly from the company website.

I think if you can find some in a gun store and ask to test them by mounting a gun you can sort them out pretty quickly.

John

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

capvan,

I sell and strongly endorse Pro-Ears electronic muffs. I wear the Sporting Clay Gold model. This model was designed for the shotgun shooter. It has a chop-side cup (beveled edges) that really helps shotgun shooters. With this cup, to most people it doesn't interfere with the mounting or shooting. It is the only muff that I have ever used that didn't touch the stock when shooting. The Electronics are great, and has a very fast limit time. They also feature around a 25dB rating. My website is listed above. I have them in my Web-Store. You can see a picture and details by clicking on it. Yes, they are pricy, but they are the best in my opinion. If you have any questions, or need any assistance, please let me know. Also, I am running a Christmas Special. When you buy them, you get FREE Shipping.

Matt Woodson, Owner

Woodson Enterprises & Scattergunstore.com

PH: 270.804.5454

5. Ka9bce

Ka9bce TS Member

My recomendation is neither peltor 6 s or radigans are designed for teapshooting, I've got both and don't use either one, they work better with the batteries out....Paul

6. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

capvan I had apair of new ear plugs made and drilled for plastic tube and a walker game ear installed to them.they work well.Ican hear anything on the line and they shut out the blast of the gun automaticly.

7. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I use the Howard Leight electronic units I p/up in Cabella's. They are Extremely comfortable,the battery [double aa[ last for a long time. They sell for UNDER 100.00 dollars.
    Gaz

8. JOND

JOND TS Member

I understand Peltor is the company that manufactures the 'Micky Mouse' earmuffs used by the U.S.Navy for deckhands on carriers. JOND

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Unless absolutely necessary have to have electronic hearing protection... have you ever considered the "Sonic II" ear plugs from North?! UPDATE *** Sonic II technology was sold to Health Enterprises and the plugs are now marketed under the ACU-Life Impact "Shooters Ear Plugs"

These silicone/reusable plugs contain a small canister which stays is open for nominal sound levels/conversation, but at the report of a firearm, the canister technology shuts down the dangerous decibel levels.

I've used these for 15 years, enjoy the ability to talk with plugs in and the quality hearing protection they provide...

Figure $10/pair +/-

Regards and good luck,

jay

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Go to your local audiologist and get fitted for custom ear plugs. They will mold your ear then send it out. They have electronic ones. You can also go to www.earinc.com or www.espamerica.com for more research and info.
    I have the ESP's. Fantastic. Great volume control and fast attack for noise suppression. I tried earmuffs and not only did they hit the stock but they put too much pressure on my temples causing me severe pain at the end of the day. Also for the rest of you shooters. Foam earplugs don't cut it for shotgun blasts. Dave T.

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I bought the Remington electronic ear muffs at Academy for 45 dollars. So far so good. I wear them at shoots and while hunting. They are stereo and do a good job of cutting out wind. When at a shoot I put in ear plugs then put them on over them for double protection. With the ear muffs turned up on full I can still hear people talking without any problems. When hunting I use the ear muffs alone. They have a concave cut out where they meet the gun so they don't bang against the stock. I decided to wear hearing protection all the time when shooting after standing up in the duck blind and shooting last season when the shooter next to me stayed seated having his gun go off by my ears with 3 inch magnums. Never again.

12. willing

willing Member

I have tried numerous different kind, seaching for the type that would not interfere with the comb. The only type that I could find is the Caldwell low profile. They were cheap, although
    that was not the priority. I've used them for about a year with no problems.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.