1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

I'm looking for some advice on which brands of electronic ear plugs are good. Like a lot of us, I have lost a lot of hearing from shooting without ear plugs when I was younger and while hunting. Regular ear plugs are fine for trap and sporting clays, but would like a good electronic pair for hunting. I should probably focus on a mid to higher end pair that can double as hearing aids. Am I better off with one of the companies that make these for shooters or going straight to an audiologist. Do real hearing aids have an option of coming with the noise supression? I would love to hear your experiences if you have had to deal with the same issue.

Thanks,
    Matt Stockwell

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Audiologists and hearing aids are very expensive.

Walker's Game Ear may suit your needs. They look just like a behind the ear hearing aid, they amplify and suppress noise.

3. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

My wife has been telling me for a while that I needed hearing aids and I successfully ignored her. This past Christmas, with a houseful of family I was unable to understand a word that my young grandchildren were saying. For me that was the last straw.

I went to an audiologist and she confirmed I needed aids for both ears. the price for both was just under $ 6,000. I was dumbstruck and left to think about it.

Then a woman who works for me said to check out COSTCO. My local store has a kiosk with a certified pro with 30 plus years experience. He recommended the same both behind the ear setup. The difference was Costco's price was $ 2600
    with a much better warrantee and a 2 year insurance policy.

Turns out the Swiss unit Costco was selling is the same unit the Dr pushed with a private label. The unit I got is called Bernafon. I am very satisfied with the performance and followup service.

Dan Gill

4. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Call EAR, Inc. Great customer service. Ask for Bev.

Bill

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When the battery goes dead you have no protection. If it happens while you are shooting you can damage your hearing. Happened to me with electronic ear muffs. HMB

6. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

not so. Electronic muffs fullt protect when the batteries go.

It's the amplification that stops when the batteries go dead.

7. TOM416

TOM416 Member

I also wanted to buy electronic hearing protection that were inserts. The ones I found were about $1200 for the cheapest pair. Someone told me about a company that had them for $599 but I couldn't find out anyone who ever heard of them or had used them, so I moved on. The name of the company was Sound Gear I think. Their web site was www.soundgearhearing.com/
    Like I said, since I couldn't find anyone who knew anything about them I moved on. If anyone has used them or knows someone who has i couldn't find anyone.
    Tom Hartman

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

+1 for Johnny

9. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Thanks for the input. After some research, I looking at the Ears, inc and a company called Pro Ears, but I'm gonna check out the options at Costco. I think I probably need something that can double as a real full time hearing aide. I find myself constantly asking my 6 year old to speak louder or asking my wife what he said. Probably time to face the fact that I've done too much damage over the years. I cerrtainly won't let my son make the same mistake.
    Thanks again for the input.

Matt Stockwell

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

There's a company called ESP www.espamerica.com. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

electronic earplugs for shooters