1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Wood Splitter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by T/C, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T/C

T/C TS Member

Anyone ever used the DR (brand name) electric wood splitter or any of the DR products? What about quality? I can get green, hardwoods (cut 16-20")from a local landscaper for near nothing. I need to split 3-4 cords a year. The electric appeals to me cause I could split evenings/nights without much noise. They offer a 6 ton model, but would it do the job? Thanks, T.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dr's stuff seems to be well built enough from what I've seen.

My experiences with electrically powered items compared to gas is that the electric model will be some what slower. They would also be more suited for splitting well seasoned wood, not the green stuff. Don't even think about Hedge!

At 40 years young, I can still split wood faster with a maul and axe. Get me into some good seasoned cherry and I'm off to the races.

ec90t

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I'm 71 years old and still split 4-7 cords of Black Locust by hand, with a good splitting mall and wedges faster than my neighbor can with a motor driven splitter. You still have to place every piece in the grove, then split. I just stand several on end and go to work, besides it's fun. Ben

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

Don't bother with the electric splitter unless your wood is short and dry. I bought the Harbor freight model and it would split dry fir just fine but as soon as I got a little green stuff mixed in that was the end of it. I used it for a week and took it back. It was leaking fluid in two places by then. I am sure the DR would be a better product but if you look at all the electric models they all seem to have the exact same platform. Probley all made in the same plant in china with diffrent stickers for diffrent makers. I have a gas splitter and it's the only way to go. You boys can split by hand all you want. F!@$ That! Jeff

5. skip

skip Member

DR sent me their Electric Wood Splitter video. It does appear to work but you can't identify what type wood was really used or how dry the wood was in the video.

If they worked everyone would have one by now.

If you do go for it I suggest as a minimum you order the 220 volt model.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have the DR brushcutter and the quality is absolutely first-rate. So good that I plan to buy one of there food plot tillers this spring.

I would be willing to bet the splitter quality is just as good, it's just a question of whether it's big enough to handle your job.

I believe it says up to 16" logs on the web page.

7. noseeam

noseeam TS Member

TC, may work ok until you get some oak with knots.
    Soft wood will do fine.
    Hard wood such as oak,locust,hedge,walnut etc,I think you would have a problem.
    I have a large Honda powered gas with two stage valve that grunts on bur oak
    with knots in it. Whatever your choice good luck.

The two stage valve is the answer to a good splitter.

Bo

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

I doubt that you can get an electric wood splitter. I'm betting all are electric over hydraulic.

9. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I too have a DR brushcutter. The quality is top shelf. I would reccomend any of their products, but have no personal experience with electric splitters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

electric wood splitter