1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric smokers ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

I am thinking of buying an electric smoker. Has anyone have any experience with these? Thanks, Mike

2. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I used one for years. and i.m going to get another one. Lot.s of fun. You can cook a lot thing.s in the smoker you can.t cook on the grill. r i i l

3. bkms

bkms Member

ditto what gunner said, just add some hickory chips.

4. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

Never used an electric. I have a Treager pellet smoker. It is awesome. Been using it for five years now and never regretted buying it

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ditto on the electric smoker.

6. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Try Cookshack. I've got the smaller one, it works great. One 3" chunk of wood will smoke a long time. JD

7. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Brinkman comes with a recipe book. Lots of good stuff.

8. Elk guide

Elk guide TS Member

Unless you buy a high grade one most little electric smokers will not get temps up high enough to smoke sausage or other meats so then you have to finish in the oven. Even if you box it or wrap with a blanket. Propane is what I like because I can finish off turkeys and sausage in the smoker. I can also control heat better since the little electric smoker don't have a heat control. The propane also keeps some moisture in the smoker keeping meat some what tender. The big commerical ones are electric but have water in them to keep meat tender. They make some nice small propane smoker for under $200. that do a good job. If all you want to do is fish and jerky they are great but then after that you will fall short. I have a electric for just for fish and a large smoker for meats. Just my two cents.

9. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

If your going to buy a electric smoker buy a Cookshack smoketteII. This unite has 3 14x14 shelves thermostatically controlled heat. Double walled insulated top quality. Cabela's sells them or buy from manufacture. Cost is over $400.00. Down side shelves are a little short for full racks of ribs. Also you will never get that real smoke flavor from a electric smoker that you get from a all wood burning stick burner.

I do a lot of smoking and use a Southern Yankee 12 rack rotisserie all wood fueled stick burner and a Stumps Elite 6 cabinet style gravity fed cooker. A set it and forget it type cooker that burns lump or charcoal.

Go to a web site called "The smoke ring" all of your questions will be aswered there.

I would sell my cookshack smoker as i no longer use it. One more thing don't buy a Bradly smoker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.