1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Smoker

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I am in the market for an electric smoker. How about some opinions and ideas? Want to be able to smoke Turkeys, butts, etc. I personally use a big green egg, but this going to be a gift, and I wanted to see what was out there as far as electric.

2. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Have a Bradley, use it often. Serves the purpose well. Smoked praire chicken and sharptail this year, melts in your mouth !!! mmmmmmmmmm good.

3. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I've got a Brinkmann that i like. It comes with a lot of info also.

4. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I have a Bradley with the auto wood puck smoke generator which I love. Have done all things big and small and it works great. I got the cheaper rheostat version a few years ago when they had just come out with the digital control. If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten the digital.

Dan

5. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

what is your recipe for smoked sharptails?

6. 1DIRT

1DIRT Member

I have a Traeger wood pellet smoker/grill. works very well.

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I am also looking at getting an electric smoker, but only really need a rather small one as I just want to smoke goose and duck breasts, maybe some fish.

I will look up the items recommended above, just wondering if anyone has any opinions about compact electric smokers and electric for smoking waterfowl.

Thanks

Stephen Meyers

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Cook shack electric smokers are real good quality. There insulated and built well. If price isn't a concern forget about a electric smoker and consider a gravity feed like a Stumps or Superior smoker. I have a stumps my brother has a superior both great smokers. The flavor you get from these type of smokers is far superior than electric or gas.

9. trw

trw Member

I'm not sure why you want an electric, aside from it being trendy, at the moment. I've eaten foods prepaired with the electrics that was fine, but no better than home fabricated hunt camp smokers with side draw fire boxes, which are great for almost any kind of deciduous deadwood coals.

I have yet to find anything that works better than one of the older Mr. Smokers w/the dome top & double stacked racks. If you use real mesquite charcoal and then soaked wood of your choice added after the charcoal is glowing, they are hard to beat and they are also very inexpensive. The one I have has been in use for nearly 25+ seasons and aside from having to replace the grills and drip & bottom pans [once, so far], still functions just fine. It gets a coat of paint on it's outside every few years, just because. The original temp gauge was junk, so I replaced it w/another from a burned out grill unit many years ago & it is still working today.

One 'trick' that works wonders with smokers is to toss a branch from a sage and or Rosemary on the coals 30 to 45 minutes before you pull what you are smoking .. it adds immeasureably to the taste, imparting both subtle flavor & aroma.

Happy cooking & best of luck w/whatever unit you choose to purchase.

10. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

I really love my Orion cooker and so does everyone I cook for. Uses charcoal and you cook everything by time, just smoked a 20lb turkey in 2 1/2 hours and it came out excellent. Have smoked turkey, goose, brisket, pork, ribs, salmon and more in it.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I use a Big Chief, but while it is electric, it is a COLD SMOKER. This means it does not get hot enough to actually cook anything larger than jerky or small or thin fish. It flavors and then you need to finish in the oven.

So make sure what you want to give - a cold smoker or a hot smoker. Make sure to find out if it actually gets hot enough to cook.

12. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Bradley,,,You can set the temp. as well as how long you smoke ,,,can be used to cold smoke ,or, cook ,,mine is a digital,,Really a super unit ,,MX8Dave

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

mx8dave.....How big of a turkey will the Bradly hold?

Bill

14. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

If you don't like Electric Smoker you never had one.

15. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Likes to shoot ,I just did an eleven lber, it would have held one much larger,,MX8Dave

16. THALL

THALL Member

I have been pleased with my Master Built. Tim Hall

17. JRW

JRW Member

ttt

18. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

Please look at the Cookshack smokers. They are not cheap; however, they will last a lifetime. The electric smokers only use about 2 ounces of wood for a smoke. Their temperature control is extremely precise. The electric smokers are very tight with lots of insulation. Cookshack also has outstanding Fast Eddy pellet smokers. I believe that the majority of their business is commercial. Many commercial restaurants use Cookshack smokers. cookshack.com

Their forum http://forum.cookshack.com is one of the best forums on barbecue I have seen.

I had stick burners and a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and later attached a BBQ Guru to it and it produced good BBQ. The beauty of the Cookshack is that you set the cooker and go to bed, golf, drink etc. and after about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound on an individual item (the number of items does not matter) later you open the door and test the meat. Your friends and neighbors will think you are a BBQ master. You will be in demand.

Good Luck

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Here ya go Kevin, these are the best smoker around! Had one for several years now and it's great and easy to use and clean.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200152274_200152274

Cheers,

George

20. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Oh yea, they're on sale to boot!!!

Cheers,

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.