1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ELECTRIC OR GAS ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 33ZIGZAG, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33ZIGZAG

33ZIGZAG TS Member

I am thinking of getting a golf cart for trapshooting.I can't decide witch would be better gas or electric?

2. Capjim

Capjim TS Member

Dude, I'd use a shotgun

3. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

Good point

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have had them both and I like the electric ones. Less stink, less noise and a little more zip.

5. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have a Yamaha Drive gas cart. This is the second gas Yamaha cart I have had.

The old one went to my buddy and it is still running like a top, I think it is a 1992. Over all the years I had it I replaced the battery one time, changed the oil yearly (one quart) and I put on traction tires. So for 12 years I put around $250.00 in a used cart and we drove the piss out of it. Check and see how much for a set of batteries for an electric cart cost. I hear they last about 4 or 5 years.

As far as power goes, Turning up the governor takes about 2 minutes. I have advanced mine just a little, but most gun clubs like it if you can keep the cart under 10 MPH. If you want speed get a side by side. Golf carts are not built for speed and golf cart suspension sucks on all the carts.

Mine is a 2008 and with trailer, custom wheels, tires, paint, light kit and gun racks I'm in it less than 5K.

Jim

jimr_2008_0303131.jpg

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Jim,

That is awesome!

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I live in the Villages the golf cart capital of the World.. There is a new golf cart with EFI, they claim the stink is gone & they just came out with an hybrid powered one---150mpg. Unless yo're prepared to be worried about places to charge it & range go with gas---but if you want more maintenance & periodic battery replacement go with electric. Most of the carts here are electric & they go a shade under 20mph.

Phil Berkowitz

8. dshot

dshot Member

What Jim said, I have had a gas cart for years and it runs great.

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Having had both, gas for me.

10. build4u

build4u Member

I have a lifted 96 gas Yamaha. It is a fuel pincher and a lot of power with up to six guys on it through hilly sporting courses. Yamaha rides the smoothest with a tube frame and independent front suspension. Harder to lift than some.

11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Gas (with a snowmobile engine). Heap big quick.

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

13. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I think electric is great unless you go to a shoot for several days and don't have a way to charge it. If that's not a factor then you won't need to put gas and oil in it plus thee smell factor.

Whenever I get one I plan to buy the cheapest I can find in decent shape be it either gas or electric. Mark.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Got a 3 year old EZ-Go...its gas and its the bees knees...might sell if my health doesn't make a serious upswing...I'm doin better but not ever going to be where I want to

15. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have an electric ez go. It is quiter, smoother, basically no up keep, no gas, no oil, I replace the batteries every ten years $900.00 and can go for days to a week on one charge. It is no problem borrowing a 110 plug to charge it at any shoot I have been to. just my two cents worth.

16. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

since the 48 volt textron stuff came out , they are very reliable, and run forever on a charge, ive played 54 holes of golf on one charge many times no problem, I like the quietness and no smell, club car is the best riding stock suspension cart out there yamaha rides the worst in my opinion, but if I bought a gas , it wud be the Yamaha

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When your cart need power you just plug in the electric cart. If its gas you will have to have jugs to keep gas. You will have to go get gas. If you don't use the the cart as much as you want the gas will gum up. As most gas engines you will have to have it worked on. Go for the electric cart. You will be working on it far less then the gas cart.

Another thing to do is ask the shops on which ones do they work on the most. The electric or the gas? They will tell you what brings in the most money to their shop.

18. 33ZIGZAG

33ZIGZAG TS Member

19. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Depends on what you use the cart for. On flat ground with limited use, an electric is fine. Use it for sporting clays and shoot a stretched out hilly club and you will on use an electric cart once. It's hell when they die a mile from the charger.

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

635 G... I thought the Villages was the Herpes capital of the world? Saw a spaecial on CBS a few years ago about it.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.