1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ELECTRIC EAR PLUGS????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dog easy, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

It's time for me to get rid of my ear muffs and get some molded ear plugs. The muffs seem to be interfering with me keeping my head on the stock. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best plugs I can buy? I have to get my hearing tested every 6 months for work and I'm on the ragged edge of not being able to pass the hearing test, so I want some good plugs.

Shoot safe, John

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used the ESP for years. After the warranty runs out, they will do WHATEVER needs to be done to them, including a total replacement for a fixed charge.

Unless shooting high performance handguns (magnums) in an indoor range, they will work very well. I do not think one needs the digital devices for shooting or training.

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

John,

You want the highest db reduction possible. My search a few years ago determined the the foam plugs shaped like a bullet with a flair on the end reduced sound by 33 db. That was more than the custom plugs and certainly cheaper. I buy a box of 200 set at a time for about $30. See link below.

good luck!

Bob Schultz

http://www.uline.com/BL_1023/Max-Ear-Plugs-NRR-33

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

P.S

John,

Use a new pair each day you shoot. They do lose their effectiveness if you try and save 15 cent ear plugs for too long!

Bob

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Bob is right about the foam plugs. However, if I use them, I am functionally deaf. I cannot hear range commands, or a shooter needing assistance.

If you are going to get on the line and shoot, use the foam. If you are going to train, get the ESP's.

6. TC

TC TS Member

If you want to save what little you have left, use foam plugs and low profile muffs! If you want to hear people talking while on the line, you will eventually loose what little is left. Been there, done that, sorry now!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob is correct, as usual. The foam plugs reduce sound more effectively than custom molded plugs.

I remember when ear plugs were not available and we carried cotton in our shooting vests to stuff in our ears. Cigarette filters were also commonly used.

Our guns, shells and ear plugs have improved over the years.

Pat Ireland

8. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Thanks for the answers guys. BTW, I meant to say electronic and not electric ear plugs. Don't think I need to have 110 volts in the ears. Hey, I went to public school in Texas, K thru College, what do you expect?

Shoot safe, John

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I've had ESPs for probably 15 years. Have sent them back three times for various rebuilds and recommend the company highly. Any subsequent work was either free or very nominal. The are a big supporter of Sporting Clays and probably are better known in that discipline than Trap or Skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

electric ear plugs